AX8 vs UAD OX

NightCrow

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'd like to ask your professional opinion.
I need to do a major change in my gear: I'll have to use a silent system because of my neighbours. I have a good tube amp and if I buy an UAD OX box I can use it. Or I can buy for 1400 € a Fractal Audio AX8. My question is: which is better? An analog line with UAD or a high quality digital line?
I play progressive metal stuff in general but I like to experiment with other music styles/genres.
Thank you for your help! (and sorry for my bad english :S)

Cheers,
Ben

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
The uad ox is limiting because you can only use the cabs it comes with. Have you checked out the Fractal Audio LB-2 load box? AX8 is cool, but you are going to have to change how you work with digital modeling. It sounds amazing, but I would just stick with your tube amp (since you already know it well), and get a nice load box like the LB-2.

Reaction score
I recommend the Two Notes Torpedo Captor. It'll do the silent recording that you want, you're not locked down to an iPad like you are with the UA Ox and the WoS plugin lets you load custom IRs. The only downside to it is that you're locked in with a fixed -20db attenuation but I think in your situation, that might not be a bad thing. Plus, the Captor is infinitely less expensive than the UA Ox.

laxu

Reaction score
I say get the AX8. If you don't have a tube amp you absolutely love, then you will be happier with an all-in-one unit because it is easier to set up. It's easier to make sound great into headphones as you will want to use some room reverb in that situation to give you some semblance of space.

If you love your tube amp, get the Suhr Reactive Load IR instead as it's a better product for those purposes.