Axe FX 2 vs Triple Rectifier head

• Thread starter RockerAlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Simple question for you all ... keep the real head (for the "real sound") or sell it for an Axe FX 2.

What would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
AxeFX 2 will fulfill any and every need you have for any sound. That being said, if all you want is a Triple Rectifier sound... keep it. =/ If you want to experiment or like to have more than just that amp's sound, yeah get an AxeFX.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
AxeFX 2 will fulfill any and every need you have for any sound. That being said, if all you want is a Triple Rectifier sound... keep it. =/ If you want to experiment or like to have more than just that amp's sound, yeah get an AxeFX.

Thanks for the reply, keep em opinions coming.

I guess I like the sound of my Triple Rec, it's the rarer 2 channel model as well ... my thought process is that if the Axe FX just sounds the same anyway, why even bother having the real head?

Slamp

Reaction score
My Uberschall has been reduced to a dust collector after i got my axe-fx, so i guess that answers what i would do.
The question is rather, what is it that you are looking to do, and which of these would serve that purpose?

Edit: the axe might not necessarily sound "exactly" like the triple rec, but it will get you close enough if thats the sound you are going for, and if you are a tweaker you might even find some sounds that you couldn't get with the real amp.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
My Uberschall has been reduced to a dust collector after i got my axe-fx, so i guess that answers what i would do.
The question is rather, what is it that you are looking to do, and which of these would serve that purpose?

Edit: the axe might not necessarily sound "exactly" like the triple rec, but it will get you close enough if thats the sound you are going for, and if you are a tweaker you might even find some sounds that you couldn't get with the real amp.

I am a bit of a tweaker, I love being able to change things in increments of 1 and hearing the differences ... this isn't something I can currently do on my Triple Rec head seeing as it has that crazy "active" EQ where every knob interacts with the other one, which is unique to Mesa amps, but a complete pain in the ass at the same time.

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
I own a roadster and an axe fx II. My situation is the same as the dude above me. Since I got my axe fx I have barely turned on my Mesa roadster. It is nice and necessary to have for recording sessions but for practicing it's nice to be quiet. The axe does Mesa tones really good too.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score

Keep in mind if you're REALLY that worried, record your amp on your favorite setting. Then when you get your AxeFX you can use Tone Match on it and you'll have the tone you loved from your amp originally plus all the ability to tweak it with the AxeFX.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like you've made up your mind already. ;)

Though you should consider a Motherload Elemental or Two Notes Torpedo Live if you like your Recto tone and want to record direct.

Adrian-XI

Reaction score
I have both. Don't think I've turned the Recto on more than a couple of times since owning the Axe... I'll try the tone match feature when I have some spare time at home.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Tone Match?

That is wtfinsane.

EDIT: Too bad the waiting list is a friggin year or whatever, or I'd buy it now.

amongor

Reaction score
I have exactly both, only just got the Axe FX II, I would say go the axe. I have no need for my triple rect anymore, Im just hesitant to sell it as it is still quite a treasured possession to me.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
If you love that particular amp, I'd just stick with it. I like the AFXII, but I really miss the VH4 that I sold when I bought it. The AFXII's model of Ch. 4 of the VH4 is reasonably good, but the sound of Ch. 3 was just my sound. I should try tone matching the model to Ch 3 of the real deal, but I kinda just want to go back to using the real thing.

Maybe the Recto model is more acurate (it sounds killer btwn) or you're interent in exploring other sounds. But it's all personal preference.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
this isn't something I can currently do on my Triple Rec head seeing as it has that crazy "active" EQ where every knob interacts with the other one, which is unique to Mesa amps, but a complete pain in the ass at the same time.
i have a peavey ultra plus with active eq....:scratch:

AND i love it btw!!! i can always get eq pedal an so could you LOL. ive heard some say they miss the "raw" sound an amp provides, and they sell the axe and go back to the traditional setups.

Pav

???
Reaction score
This is a simple matter of the preference between analogue and digital processing. And by "simple" I mean it's a whole 'nother can of worms.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
It's still a hard decision to make, even though the new firmware update on the Axe FX 2 made my jaw drop ... I simply can't afford to have the head AND the Axe FX, and I'm gonna struggle to find anywhere to try one out before I buy.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Well i sold my 6534+ to make the jump, and am ordering mine axe ii friday, so we will see :)

Koop

Reaction score
I like the sound of my Axe Fx II more than my Roadster.
Maybe i'm just not into the "in the room" sound of real amps. I really like the focused and precise tones the Axe can make. I'm running it into a Alto TS112 and it sounds great!

Pav

???
Reaction score
It's still a hard decision to make, even though the new firmware update on the Axe FX 2 made my jaw drop ... I simply can't afford to have the head AND the Axe FX, and I'm gonna struggle to find anywhere to try one out before I buy.

If the tones that the new Axe FX are putting out are blowing you away, then it sounds like you already know what you want.

A digital processor like the Axe FX is going to be a one-shot, do-all unit, with any tone you could possibly want right there in front of you. You won't need a variety of heads/amps with different circuitry to find the tone you want; you'll just have to dial it into the one unit. I've never used an Axe FX but I can only imagine it will allow you to also save your own presets, thus enabling you to compile a quick, convenient database of all of your tones, accessible within seconds.

The one and only stumbling block is whether or not you have a real attachment to the "feel" produced by vacuum tubes and analogue amplification. And that it is a purely subjective matter, one that I certainly won't try to sway you in either direction on.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Haha I was playing a triple rectifier today with my new band. Great amp but id much rather have an AxeII.

I could actually get the tones I need from the recto alone but I know the axe fx will be that much better :)