Axefx3: cygnus x 3 (fw25.0) beta

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It wasn’t a perma-ban, just a temp ban and he decided not to return for a long time. IIRR, he’s made 5 posts since then and every single thread has been deleted, including that most recent one you probably saw.

To say there’s NOT a concentrated effort to diminish/run off Fractal at TGP would be avoiding reality, IMO.

Fortunately, we love Cliff at TGF and he can post all the graphs and year’s of knowledge there until he’s blue in the face.
Word, dude can be salty (and sometimes more), but I agree that it's odd how much animosity he gets at TeeGeePee. I am not a conspiracy person in the slightest, but I have a few theories as to why.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
🤣🤣🤣 Sorry dudes, this is just too fucking funny. The thought that the creator of the biggest most sought after guitar modeller in the last +10 years (which every big band and their mother uses), is getting in trouble and banned in guitar forums. Makes me want to buy an Axe FX just from that alone. It's just too fucking expensive though.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
🤣🤣🤣 Sorry dudes, this is just too fucking funny. The thought that the creator of the biggest most sought after guitar modeller in the last +10 years (which every big band and their mother uses), is getting in trouble and banned in guitar forums. Makes me want to buy an Axe FX just from that alone. It's just too fucking expensive though.
🤣 The world is a weird place. Though, as I hinted at before, Cliff is known to be quite salty.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I remember Cliff back in forums like 20 years ago talking about he was working on something that would change how people look at modelers....

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I remember Cliff back in forums like 20 years ago talking about he was working on something that would change how people look at modelers....

I very much remember his first post at HugeRacksInc, it was basically “I don’t think the digital world has been given the proper amount of time to develop into something tangible, so I’m doing it and getting some amazing results”

And then the chorus of laughs and shit talking that came after. :lol:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Word, dude can be salty (and sometimes more), but I agree that it's odd how much animosity he gets at TeeGeePee. I am not a conspiracy person in the slightest, but I have a few theories as to why.

The dude constantly has trolls taking shots at him, that’s exactly what led to him being banned at TGP. If it were all his own customers he went after, that’d be one thing, but taking shots at trolls is fair game, IMO.

I certainly have my theories as well, co-owning a forum where we have company participation has opened my eyes to a few things and I do not believe for a second that all forums are a level playing field. IE- I’ve had to tell 2 companies to fuck off when they’ve requested we censor/delete member’s post speaking poorly of the company when the customers had legitimate issues. The reception I got from that led to my current theories.

Shorts_Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can understand why traditionalists and industry creators (e.g. amp manufacturers) would feel like some digital platforms are based on the concept of a form of undercutting through theft (e.g. attempting to steal brand name/likeness and 'sound' without compensation and then charging consumers a fraction of the price). Its easily perceivable that this could negatively impact the future creation/manufacture of physical amps; the thing that alot of these digital platforms are attempting to imitate and could end up cannibalizing.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I can understand why traditionalists and industry creators (e.g. amp manufacturers) would feel like some digital platforms are based on the concept of a form of undercutting through theft (e.g. attempting to steal brand name/likeness and 'sound' without compensation and then charging consumers a fraction of the price). Its easily perceivable that this could negatively impact the future creation/manufacture of physical amps; the thing that alot of these digital platforms are attempting to imitate and could end up cannibalizing.

Eh, I’m not sure if what’s been happening lends itself to that idea. While there are certainly players who get into modeling and ditch their amps, I know of a shitload of others who buy amps based off the models they’ve played. Despite having 2 newer Fractal units, I still bought 4 tube amps last year, 2 of them being models in a Fractal.

I think the biggest detriment to the amp industry is amps themselves. 100 watt tube amps you either need to attenuate or can only play them in certain areas, boutique amps with crazy prices in a world where inflation is chasing people down and digital technology advances and gets cheaper.

I think the majority of current guitar players still prefer amps over anything digital, but as more stages go silent, as more people move into apartments instead of owning a home due to economic BS and more alternative options show up, it’s going to be harder and harder to hawk the idea a guitar player ‘needs’ a tube amp to be a guitar player.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Every time I see another thread or conversation about significant FW updates, it makes me want to fix or replace my FM3 with the broken USB. But it's a pain, and impractical right now.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the biggest detriment to the amp industry is amps themselves. 100 watt tube amps you either need to attenuate or can only play them in certain areas, boutique amps with crazy prices in a world where inflation is chasing people down and digital technology advances and gets cheaper.
To be clear, I'm not giving up on tube amps any time soon, but yeah, damn, was looking at an amp the other day that runs KT88s, and then I saw that a pair is $200 so a retube is $400. Nope.

Meanwhile, there's a $199 boss amp sim pedal... the economic winds are not in the right direction for tube amps.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Every time I see another thread or conversation about significant FW updates, it makes me want to fix or replace my FM3 with the broken USB. But it's a pain, and impractical right now.
That sucks, I still think FM3 folks were done a bit dirty on the USB issue. But, for what it's worth, I'm still on FW 6.01 (due to laziness) and it sounds so good I don't have any real reason to update.

Shask

Reaction score
Ca
I've got 6.0, which is fine. I mean, it's not like it sounds bad. It sounds just fine. Would be nice to be able to use the USB interface stuff though - 'cause recording through the XLR outs feels a bit antithetical to a digital platform.

Can't you connect it via MIDI?

Shask

Reaction score
Eh, I’m not sure if what’s been happening lends itself to that idea. While there are certainly players who get into modeling and ditch their amps, I know of a shitload of others who buy amps based off the models they’ve played. Despite having 2 newer Fractal units, I still bought 4 tube amps last year, 2 of them being models in a Fractal.

I think the majority of current guitar players still prefer amps over anything digital, but as more stages go silent, as more people move into apartments instead of owning a home due to economic BS and more alternative options show up, it’s going to be harder and harder to hawk the idea a guitar player ‘needs’ a tube amp to be a guitar player.
There needs to be more amps in that EVH 5153 50w world. Decent price, good features, and good size for most situations.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Ca

Can't you connect it via MIDI?
If there's a way to do firmware updates through MIDI, I'm unaware of it. I've heard maybe that's possible, but I never figured it out. But also, you definitely can't record through MIDI, because that's not how MIDI works.

Shask

Reaction score
If there's a way to do firmware updates through MIDI, I'm unaware of it. I've heard maybe that's possible, but I never figured it out. But also, you definitely can't record through MIDI, because that's not how MIDI works.
I am not talking about audio. There are many ways to do that, so that is not a big problem.

Yes, it works. I just tried it and connected Fractal Bot to my FM3 with MIDI. You could use that to update it.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am not talking about audio. There are many ways to do that, so that is not a big problem.

Yes, it works. I just tried it and connected Fractal Bot to my FM3 with MIDI. You could use that to update it.
Wow, did not know that. Super cool tip.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmm I could have sworn I tried that once and it didn't work. No idea why. Probably worth another shot at some point.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Bumping this since the FM3 fw caught up.

God damn this beta is killer! All the new models are amazing, and the updates (whatever they may be) in the general amp modeling are absolutely top notch. It’s like a blanket was removed from basically all of my old presets.

Somehow, every time I feel like modeling can’t/won’t progress, Cliff and the team seem to figure it out even more. Massive props :agreed: