Bach turned up to 11!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!!!

• Thread starter Otaraxia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shaneroo

Oh, herrrrro......
Forum MVP
Reaction score
once again, you must have a good teacher ;)

oh, and i also got the d sonic and tone zone put in my unk guitar, thanks for the advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Otaraxia

Reaction score
whoa.......praise from Cesar himself. Dude I am more then happy to be able to help you.

thinkpad20

plays guitar??
Reaction score
Nice! I love the Goldberg Variations. I did a similar thing (two guitar tracks) for the Aria a while back. Not a video though...

netmusicians.org - the guitar gear mp3 database
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/10-rough goldwave aria.mp3

This one is a video, but too many mistakes... I normally play it better... also for some reason my voice makes me sound like a total dweeb in this vid :lol:

Did you use a metronome or did you just record one take and have the others follow it? I've been wondering about this for some of the fugues I'm learning, where one or more voice will have a large gap with no playing...

Also what program did you use to mix/edit the videos?

Otaraxia

Reaction score
Man......absolutely beautiful. It makes me happy to see other electric guitarists working to give the instrument a new voice in music. And, your performance really shows that you have a well understanding of instrument translation. If I were to suggest anything it would be to make sure that you work out those chords near the end, and if you were to work out the whole piece with a metronome at a slow setting, then it would reveal a more cohesive, melodic flow. But, you do have this very wonderful moment in the middle of your performance were it is obvious that you were in the music. And, for that moment alone, for me, mistakes are forgivable. Thanks for your post man. And, thank you for your beautiful performance.

I almost forgot to answer the questions. Well, the way I record the audio is by having my rig in the living room with me. And, I have my Cabinet in my bedroom, miced, and covered with a Uhaul moving blanket. The DAW is also in my room, so I have to take one of my monitors and put it in the living room. Through that one monitor I feed a click track, and the mix. So, I can hear what I am playing and what I am playing with. Really, when your recording several voices by yourself, obviously you are going to have to record them separate. There is no shame in using a click track. If you don't want to lose that human feel, then learn how to stretch time with the click track. Its not that hard. Keep work'n man!!! I like it!!!!

Dominosmofo

Reaction score
Ableton Live ---- Audio
Final Cut Pro ---- Video

As you can tell no camera audio is used in the videos (We have a pet :rant:peeve about using web cams for guitar videos in general,[THIS IS NOT PERSONAL IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM] though we know it cost a bit to attain the adequate equipment; so we forgive:agreed:) Damian mixes the audio after recording it and I sync the clips with the camera recorded metronome. Then I replace the camera recorded audio with the "mastered" track. Tada

thinkpad20

plays guitar??
Reaction score
Man......absolutely beautiful. It makes me happy to see other electric guitarists working to give the instrument a new voice in music. And, your performance really shows that you have a well understanding of instrument translation. If I were to suggest anything it would be to make sure that you work out those chords near the end, and if you were to work out the whole piece with a metronome at a slow setting, then it would reveal a more cohesive, melodic flow. But, you do have this very wonderful moment in the middle of your performance were it is obvious that you were in the music. And, for that moment alone, for me, mistakes are forgivable. Thanks for your post man. And, thank you for your beautiful performance.

Thanks a lot man!

I almost forgot to answer the questions. Well, the way I record the audio is by having my rig in the living room with me. And, I have my Cabinet in my bedroom, miced, and covered with a Uhaul moving blanket. The DAW is also in my room, so I have to take one of my monitors and put it in the living room. Through that one monitor I feed a click track, and the mix. So, I can hear what I am playing and what I am playing with. Really, when your recording several voices by yourself, obviously you are going to have to record them separate. There is no shame in using a click track. If you don't want to lose that human feel, then learn how to stretch time with the click track. Its not that hard. Keep work'n man!!! I like it!!!!

Cool. Yeah I don't have a problem with using a metronome in general but I feel like it's kind of "wrong" for classical music; in order for rubatto to sound organic (to my ears anyway) it has to come from the performance itself, not a pre-programmed click... The way I did the Goldberg Aria is I just recorded one track first (the lower track as I recall) and then played the other one on top of it. You can hear the "thumps" that I used for the count-in :lol: although that one isn't so much of a piece where rubatto is important. I think that the cello suites are much more demanding of rubatto - playing them metronomically I think would detract from the performance much more so than, say playing a piece from the Well Tempered Clavier to a metronome.

We have a pet :rant:peeve about using web cams for guitar videos in general,[THIS IS NOT PERSONAL IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM] though we know it cost a bit to attain the adequate equipment; so we forgive:agreed:

Haha. Well lately I've been recording most of my vids with the sound going direct-in from my Axe-FX, and then syncing that with the audio of the camera and using Vdub to mix the video and audio. That's how I did this one for example:

But for that video I was lazy and since it was a sloppy performance anyway I didn't bother... :lol: