Back To Basics

• Thread starter Analog Kid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Analog Kid

Reaction score
Inspired by my recent 8 string purchase, I went back to guitar lessons this week :)

Given I am an old dude :) who's last music lesson was probably 30 years ago hehe, I had completely forgotten how much of a difference it makes :)

Sure I can find lots of excellent online resources but nothing compares to that human contact and pressure to learn before the next lesson :)

Just loving it :)

D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lawizeg

Reaction score
Hmm. It may just be my status as a member of the "Silent" generation, but I've never had a guitar lesson in person and don't see them as helpful...mostly because a few of my friends paid for lessons but they aren't good players..

Now, hanging/talking/sharing with musicians & solo practice? That's where its at for me. :agreed:

Props on playing for 30+ years! :wavey:

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
Lessons are great if you know what you want to learn, have the discipline to put the practice in, and have an instructor who knows how to teach and can teach what you're specifically wanting to learn. Usually one or more key components are missing, but when it does come together there is no substitution, imo. You still put in 95% of the work in, but having a really good teacher can enlighten and inspire which can make that 5% seem like 105%.

Good luck on your journey. 2 extra strings may not seem like much, but it can be pretty crazy to try and acclimate yourself to.

Berserker

Reaction score
Hmm. It may just be my status as a member of the "Silent" generation, but I've never had a guitar lesson in person and don't see them as helpful...mostly because a few of my friends paid for lessons but they aren't good players..

Now, hanging/talking/sharing with musicians & solo practice? That's where its at for me. :agreed:

Props on playing for 30+ years! :wavey:

You've never had a lesson but don't see them as helpful?

My playing has improved tenfold since I started taking lessons, but you still have to practice, that's where people seem to go wrong! As long as you find a good teacher who can get the best out of you it will be a real help. Good luck!

Greegzoid

Reaction score
Lessons are good at inspiring you if you can't quite get there yourself.

I took up lessons earlier this year and i definitely feel like my playing is improving better than self teaching.

Analog Kid

Reaction score
Lessons are great if you know what you want to learn, have the discipline to put the practice in, and have an instructor who knows how to teach and can teach what you're specifically wanting to learn.

+1000 :D and was why I carefully chose my tutor based on his work

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
Teachers are great, so long as they can provide what you want AND need. What you need may not always be the first thing on your mind, but if someone is good enough, they can explain why you need to learn what they're trying to tell you before they teach you what you want to know.

For example, I have a lot of guys ask me about modes that don't know what the major scale is or how to play it. They're all for it until they realize what all is involved in not only knowing the modes, but where they can use them and where they will be limited.

However, I do give some guys indirect guidance that I know they will understand, just so that they can experiment and find new things. When they come back, I'll then explain what they wanted to know and they get it on the first time because they can visualize it and they get it.

On the other hand, you have these greedy teachers that you can ask how to play the Harmonic Major scale and they try to show you all of these unrelated practice routines and give you 3 weeks of classes that are essentially bullshit before they even mention what you wanted to know.

Latest posts