Balaguer Custom Order Experiences?

• Thread starter Lechmere
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Was thinking of palcing an order for a semi-custom/MIK Balaguer, and thought I might ask here first if anyone's had any recent experience with them that they might want to share?

Thanks.

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
i got a custom guitar through their online builder, fantastic service and everything as expected, great guitar too. it has a certain feel that i'd associate with very nice import guitars. they also have some cool shapes that are not represented in other areas of the market. i wouldn't say i was blown away by the guitar but like a Kiesel it was serviceable in every respect.

kriff

Reaction score
i got a custom guitar through their online builder, fantastic service and everything as expected, great guitar too. it has a certain feel that i'd associate with very nice import guitars. they also have some cool shapes that are not represented in other areas of the market. i wouldn't say i was blown away by the guitar but like a Kiesel it was serviceable in every respect.
Any pics?? What shape neck did you get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Balaguer-1.jpg
I have a rainbow sparkle Diablo that I ordered from them a few years ago. It's been my number one ever since. Quality is very good. Kinda around upper tier MIK or Kiesel stuff, maybe a little above that.

Mine has their Thin D profile and it's really comfortable! Kinda unique. I'd almost describe it as a Wizard neck for people who don't like Wizards (i.e. me LOL) Think a Wizard but with a flatter middle and more rounded off shoulders to compensate for the slightly thicker neck. Neck is still very thin though; thinner than a Fender medium C. If you like Ibanez Wizards but find your hands cramping up or like the shape but wish there was a little more meat, the Thin D is gonna be perfect.

I also ordered their in house pickups and they're surprisingly nice! I have the Feral bridge and Evergreen neck. Feral is this chunkier medium output PAF type of thing. Splits really well. Has this Tele-like twang to the split. Evergreen is a mediun output pickup that sounds gorgeous for cleans. Basically a lower wind Feral. Super pristine, versatile, and sounds good for leads too!

The big reason why you get a Balaguer though imo is for the company itself. Their customer service is top notch. Friendly, responsive, and they're always trying to do right by their customers. I could've gotten a Kiesel for a tiny bit cheaper, but imo the quality of service is worth the upcharge.

Perge

Reaction score
Talked about my order a couple of times. Great experience from beginning to end. Thin D neck as well, similar experience as above. Thin, but some meat and shoulders to accommodate said meat. Only thing I've considered changing is the pickup. Thinking of getting a white Jupiter and switching out the Polaris that's in it.

IMG_1760.jpeg
Definitely recommend jumping on their FB group if you haven't. They are super communicative.

trem licking

Reaction score
I've ordered one. Excellent experience and quality. Would recommend, they also do some options out side of the builder if you ask (they used to offer 8 string floyd option, it's not on the builder anymore but you can still get it if you ask... Just for example)

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Those ones you guys posted look sick. If I get a clean bill of health in the near future, I'm ordering one.

armsliketeeth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not technically a semi-custom, but I've got this 7-string Diablo from their standard series, which are small production runs out of the same factory as the semi-customs. This is the nicest guitar I own and I paid $1100 for it. I swapped the stock pickups out for some Bare Knuckle Black Hawks, but the stock pickups were their in-house pair the Hypernovas. Personally I didn't like these, although I've hated every ceramic passive humbucker I've tried (side-note: the Black Hawks are the best pickup I have ever used and it's not close). I seriously adore this guitar, it's also my first 7-string and I have never bonded this tightly with an instrument in my 14 years of playing.

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpeg
    IMG_2068.jpeg
    897.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2069.jpeg
    IMG_2069.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12