Baldurs Gate 3

• Thread starter LiveOVErdrive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Didnt see a thread for this game yet, somehow.

I finally got it, after erroneously assuming I couldn't run it on my 10 year old computer. Turns out I can run it at max settings at 4k. Dang they optimized this shit.

This game rules but Holy fuck I suck at it. Playing on normal mode and just getting my ass kicked.

Overall it's super well done. I think it's slightly more technical than I might prefer, but as I get used to it I think that'll change. Always liked the extreme technicality of xcom after all. I think it would be better if I wasn't getting stomped constantly lol.

But the design is great. VA is great. Obviously the system is well proven since it's just 5e+. Solid start to the story so far.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score
Most addictive game i've played for years. Hours and hours go by when i could swear i've only spent 30mins or an hour playing it. I've just started Act 2.

There are tons of tips and tricks in character building and tactics, you'll get better soon. Also, the first few character levels of most D&D classes are a little rough going. Can seem like all you've got is the one type of damage, not many options at first, and a low chance to hit, but it opens up a lot as you go. Also, because it's Larian, coming up with crazy or sneaky ways of doing things often pays off.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Most addictive game i've played for years. Hours and hours go by when i could swear i've only spent 30mins or an hour playing it. I've just started Act 2.

There are tons of tips and tricks in character building and tactics, you'll get better soon. Also, the first few character levels of most D&D classes are a little rough going. Can seem like all you've got is the one type of damage, not many options at first, and a low chance to hit, but it opens up a lot as you go. Also, because it's Larian, coming up with crazy or sneaky ways of doing things often pays off.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I'm only level 2 at the moment so staying alive is real hard. Especially outnumbered against people of equal or higher level.

I'm playing a sorcerer, but I'm almost tempted to start over with a paladin, cause I do really like martial classes and (at least in pathfinder that I'm familiar with) paladins completely run house.

Werecow

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I'm only level 2 at the moment so staying alive is real hard. Especially outnumbered against people of equal or higher level.

I'm playing a sorcerer, but I'm almost tempted to start over with a paladin, cause I do really like martial classes and (at least in pathfinder that I'm familiar with) paladins completely run house.
Oh, i forgot to mention, Larian sometimes balance their maps by having the direction you've been told/suggested/hinted to travel in being the closest level match to where your party should roughly be in experience. They never actually prevent you from going somewhere overlevelled for you, but they'll have certain environmental clues, NPCs saying it's dangerous ahead etc. So be on the lookout for that if you think you're butting up against enemies you're underlevelled for.

On another note, the moment i'm always waiting for in any RPG with my stupid Wizard character has finally happened...
20230825075855-1.jpg

Last edited:

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Oh, i forgot to mention, Larian sometimes balance their maps by having the direction you've been told/suggested/hinted to travel in being the closest level match to where your party should roughly be in experience. They never actually prevent you from going somewhere overlevelled for you, but they'll have certain environmental clues, NPCs saying it's dangerous ahead etc. So be on the lookout for that if you think you're butting up against enemies you're underlevelled for.

On another note, the moment i'm always waiting for in any RPG with my stupid Wizard character has finally happened...
20230825075855-1.jpg
Ah also good to know.

I'm on the first map only right now (well, the first one after the mindflayer ship). Fighting the dudes inside the ruins was REAL hard. Suppose the ruins could be over leveled for me.

Still having just so much fun. I love how all the dice rolls are integrated into everything so seamlessly.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I used to be fairly addicted to Baldur's Gate II, and later Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. How does this compare? Is it similar gameplay or have they gone down the route of more of an Elder Scrolls style?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I used to be fairly addicted to Baldur's Gate II, and later Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. How does this compare? Is it similar gameplay or have they gone down the route of more of an Elder Scrolls style?
Isometric view. Turn based combat. Uses d&d 5e rules (slightly modified. Most people seem to agree they're an improvement)

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I like Elder Scrolls too, but that style has been done a lot (Witcher being another strong example), whereas I haven't played a game in similar vein to BG / NWN since Neverwinter Nights 2.
I've added this to the top of my list of games to get - alongside the Final Fantasy VII remake.

Werecow

Reaction score
More than any other game i'm having to really seriously think over my choices for each quest. I've already had being incredibly kind to a slightly annoying (but good) character pay off during a series of later quests, hours and hours later, and again now in Act2. I'm guessing it's going to be the same all through and into Act 3. They've managed to weave your choices through the game like i've not seen before.

It's full D&D rules, turn-based combat, and you even see all the workings of the D20 rolling, so it feels more hardcore than Baldur's Gate 2 in a way. But it also has a presentation style more cinematic than Dragon Age.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
More than any other game i'm having to really seriously think over my choices for each quest. I've already had being incredibly kind to a slightly annoying (but good) character pay off during a series of later quests, hours and hours later, and again now in Act2. I'm guessing it's going to be the same all through and into Act 3. They've managed to weave your choices through the game like i've not seen before.

It's full D&D rules, turn-based combat, and you even see all the workings of the D20 rolling, so it feels more hardcore than Baldur's Gate 2 in a way. But it also has a presentation style more cinematic than Dragon Age.
Yeah it definitely succeeds at hitting that dragon age storytelling vibe (though dragon age did a better job giving the player character a strong identity IMHO. Well, dragon age 1 and 2 did. 3 really really did not).

The D20 roll integration is so great. Especially the quality of life aspects. Like I was about to roll to pick a lock and they had the option to use am inspiration cantrip from an ally right there. Fabulous.

bjjman

Reaction score
It's been an age since I've done any gaming but I'm tempted to get a new PC for this one. I'm familiar with 5e table top but I've never played computer RPG before. Do you think it would still be fun if you're only playing a 2-3 hours a week? I'm ok if it takes ages to get through but I'm worried it might be a bit like a real D&D game and small sessions would be kinda pointless.

Werecow

Reaction score
It's been an age since I've done any gaming but I'm tempted to get a new PC for this one. I'm familiar with 5e table top but I've never played computer RPG before. Do you think it would still be fun if you're only playing a 2-3 hours a week? I'm ok if it takes ages to get through but I'm worried it might be a bit like a real D&D game and small sessions would be kinda pointless.
You can save the game absolutely anywhere, even in the middle of a fight. So it's up to you how you feel about that i guess, and what your definition of pointless is.
It's a long game, but there are constantly little fun, amusing, or interesting things happening, and i enjoy just exploring the world as well.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
So I just found out that they're not releasing a physical copy of the game for PS5 outside of Japan.

Guess I'm just gonna pre-purchase it and download it ASAP so I can play right away.

HelenKellersCaddie

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just finished act 2 and yeah, it's probably one of the most solid games I've ever played. Hell, I don't normally play games like BG but I'm pretty stoked I got into this one. The fact that your choices have consequences in the outcomes of the game is pretty dope.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I just finished act 2 and yeah, it's probably one of the most solid games I've ever played. Hell, I don't normally play games like BG but I'm pretty stoked I got into this one. The fact that your choices have consequences in the outcomes of the game is pretty dope.
Damn.... show me on the doll where Sweden touched you. Also, it is a great game! :lol:

HelenKellersCaddie

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn.... show me on the doll where Sweden touched you. Also, it is a great game! :lol:
Lol, it's an oooold CSGO joke that just slowly became my S/N for a lot of shit. But also, they have Surstromming and that shit's vile. For real though, I haven't put this much time into a game in such a short timespan since my days of Burning Crusade WoW hah.

Latest posts