Bareknuckle Black Hawks. Ceramic or Alnico?

swisslewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi everyone! New poster from Melbourne here. Nice to meet you all 😎

Just after some insights, as I'm in the process of ordering some BK Black Hawks for my Ibanez Prestige RGR652AHBF (ash body, bound macassar ebony fretboard). Basically I'm trying to decide if I go with the ceramic or alnico option. My guitar has an ash body, so I'm leaning towards the alnico ones to balance things out by providing that extra low end... but still dealing with some decision paralysis.

Basically I want this guitar to be a punishing riff machine, but also with some low end oomph for the chugs. Which is another reason why I'm leaning toward the alnico, as I definitely want the tone to have balls. I'm just hoping that I can still get that warm punchy aggressive sound if I go with the alnico option though, as I'll be riffing alot. In terms of genre, I'll mainly be playing death metal/deathcore and metalcore in Standard B and Drop A.

I've read a few forum posts on this subject already, but still torn so I figured I'd make a post that specifically addresses my needs.

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks 😀

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

swisslewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Actually nevermind I pulled the pin on those... hahaha. Leaning towards the Blackhawks again so insights are once again welcome.

I emailed BK directly and they recommended the Ceramic? 🤔

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
The alnico Black Hawks are truly my favorite pickups, but I do own both a ceramic and alnico bridge. I have also moved these two pickups across multiple guitars and have definitely gotten a good read on how they respond.

The truth is, only you can answer your question as it all depends on how your RGR sounds on its own. Unfortunately, this can only be found by swapping pickups and comparing.

If you truly want the warmer feel and sound, alnico will be the way to go. BUT, if you feel that your RGR's tone is very dark, (which considering it's an Ibanez RG, it probably isn't) the ceramic will be the way to go. I also want to point out that the ceramic will play nicer with the lower tuning.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Big fan of my alnico Blackhawk. Its really thick but never muddy, responds well to picking dynamics and has a really satisfying full midrange.

swisslewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The alnico Black Hawks are truly my favorite pickups, but I do own both a ceramic and alnico bridge. I have also moved these two pickups across multiple guitars and have definitely gotten a good read on how they respond.

The truth is, only you can answer your question as it all depends on how your RGR sounds on its own. Unfortunately, this can only be found by swapping pickups and comparing.

If you truly want the warmer feel and sound, alnico will be the way to go. BUT, if you feel that your RGR's tone is very dark, (which considering it's an Ibanez RG, it probably isn't) the ceramic will be the way to go. I also want to point out that the ceramic will play nicer with the lower tuning.

Yeah true, I guess it just comes down to personal preference eh. Tim from BK also pointed out that the ceramic will be better for the lower tuned stuff.

I was also recommended the Impulse set by BK directly, which is interesting because I used to have a set of those in my old Ibanez RG 6 string and they absolutely ripped. So might just go with those again haha.

penguin_316

Reaction score
I say neither of those….get some ragnaroks. All the chunk with much better character. Blackhawks sound somewhat bland and the high end is very hissy.

swisslewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I say neither of those….get some ragnaroks. All the chunk with much better character. Blackhawks sound somewhat bland and the high end is very hissy.

I had Ragnaroks in my Mayones and did quite like them. But I ended up switching to Impulses on that guitar too, and preferred those.

Might be a sign to just go with the Impulse set again haha.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Yeah true, I guess it just comes down to personal preference eh. Tim from BK also pointed out that the ceramic will be better for the lower tuned stuff.

I was also recommended the Impulse set by BK directly, which is interesting because I used to have a set of those in my old Ibanez RG 6 string and they absolutely ripped. So might just go with those again haha.
Ah that's right, completely forgot about the Impulse. That's a set I've always wanted to try as it should fix the issue of the alnico black hawk's low tuning thing.

Don't get me wrong, the alnico black hawk can work in lower tunings, but you start to cut out too much resulting in less clear of a tone. That's where the ceramics excel.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Impulses are a lot cleaner and less throaty/growly overall compared to the blackhawk ime.

Impulses are way better for super low tunings ime (e.g. below drop A). They aren't quite as aggressive feeling but they are generally more versatile.

swisslewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah that's right, completely forgot about the Impulse. That's a set I've always wanted to try as it should fix the issue of the alnico black hawk's low tuning thing.

Don't get me wrong, the alnico black hawk can work in lower tunings, but you start to cut out too much resulting in less clear of a tone. That's where the ceramics excel.

Yeah I think if I was to go with the Black Hawks then I would probably choose ceramic now. Just based on what I've read over the past few days, and what I've been recommended etc.

Still considering trying the Black Hawks too, but Impulse does seem like the safer option.

swisslewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Impulses are a lot cleaner and less throaty/growly overall compared to the blackhawk ime.

Impulses are way better for super low tunings ime (e.g. below drop A). They aren't quite as aggressive feeling but they are generally more versatile.

Yeah this guitar will primarily be in standard B and drop A. I'm not a fan of guitar tones that have hissy/fuzzy high end frequencies. Which is also why I'm thinking the Impulses may suit my needs better than the Black Hawks.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Yeah this guitar will primarily be in standard B and drop A. I'm not a fan of guitar tones that have hissy/fuzzy high end frequencies. Which is also why I'm thinking the Impulses may suit my needs better than the Black Hawks.
Like your old mate Josh Smith??

In Melbs next week to pick up a car (and a Mesa Rectoverb 50 Watt)!! Any guitar shops I should visit?

I ordered my Aftermath Ceramic and love the attack, it's like a riff machine. Even does great 'The Darkness' style tones on a marshall stack.