Baritone/Bass VI string preferences?

• Thread starter Matt794
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt794

Reaction score
I recently bought an Ibanez SRC6 (super hype shit) and while I don't really have any issues with the 24-84 D'addario set that came on it, I have been looking at what I'll replace them with when they get too old or I want to change up the tuning.

Something that I have noticed about some sets is that they have a plain "high" e string while others, including the set that came on the guitar, have 6 wound strings. I get that since the high end is much tighter than the low end now, that would probably help in terms of balance, but it seems like it would sound weird to have just one plain string.

So, what do you guys prefer, having a more balanced set with a plain steel string or two, a super heavy 24-106 (circle k) set that probably is more balanced but maybe a little too fat on the bottom end, or would you just stick with one of the more standard Bass VI sets?

Also, I'd like to try tuning this like a baritone guitar eventually (Either B-b or A-a) and I figured since its scale length is so long I could probably get away with just a regular 6 string guitar set that's a bit on the heavy side. Do any of you have recommendations for a set that would be good for these tunings at 30"?

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
30" inches is approximately 3 frets away from 25.5", like a reverse capo moving three notes lower than a fender. The high string of a bass VI, by coincidence, is tuned 3 notes lower than the 3rd string on your guitar, which means that you can use the SAME STRING for both applications. It is no stranger, as far as tone or feel is concerned, to use a plain string for the top of your bass VI, than to use it for the G string on your stratocaster.

This is all assuming that you want guitar-like tension on your bass VI. That said, every standard bass VI set of strings i have seen soars far above "normal" guitar tensions by a significant margin.

strat tension for comparison
len 25.5
E4 .010 dapl == 16.21#
B3 .013 dapl == 15.38#
G3 .017 dapl == 16.57#
D3 .026 danw == 18.41#
A2 .036 danw == 19.54#
E2 .046 danw == 17.48#

normal bass VI set. Not even close
len 30
E3 .024 danw == 27.5#
B2 .034 danw == 30.69#
G2 .044 danw == 31.51#
D2 .056 danw == 28.95#
A1 .072 danw == 26.55#
E1 .084 danw == 19.86# except for the low string

So i guess you just have to ask yourself if you want more of a bass feel or a guitar feel. I hope that helps and happy experimenting!

Matt794

Reaction score
That's some pretty good info on tension. I guess what I'm trying to ask here is if any of you guys prefer more guitar or bass like tension on your VIs? Personally I like having all nickel wound strings right now and I've had plain steel string replacing the "d" (what would be the d position on if it was tuned to standard) string on my RG8 and it just sounds a bit off. I don't know if that's just in my head or not though lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Meximelt

Reaction score
I have the src6 also and i really have no problem with the daddario strings. That being said i might try a labella 94-96 on the low E, to see if it has a little more clarity. Labella makes a set for the schecter hellcat VI and i measured them against the src6 and they will fit, so that might be worth checking out.

Meximelt

Reaction score
Also, from the research I've done, the original baritone were bass vi guitars restrung with lighter strings. The daddario baritone strings should give you tension a lot like the bass vi ones have. That should keep the twangy sound that the strings produce that's somewhere between the sound of a guitar string and the sound of a bass string. I personally love the particular sound they make.

Matt794

Reaction score
Yeah, I also like the way it sounds with the 24-84 set so far. I think I'll probably get some more once it's time for a change in addition to some sets from circle k since they seem to bee more balanced.

Not quite sure I want to put anything like a .102 on though since it would most likely sit a mile high in the nut.

daniboy

what?!?
Reaction score
I got myself two sets of 22 to 106 from circle k for my src6. While liking the tension on the 106 (approaching it like a guitar), the double windings near the ball end doesn't fit through the guitar size ferrules at the back of the bridge. Was thinking of drilling the ferrules else have to make do with about 3/4 inch of the string and ball end sticking out from the back. I reckoned anything more than .96 will not fit through the ferrules.

As for strings sitting high, you can just slide the strings back and forth on the nut to widen it a tad for bigger gauges to sit true.

FWIW, I tried drop d on the 106 as well but found it too floppy. YMMV.

If you are buying normal or baritone strings for the src6 for baritone tunings, please be aware of the total string length. Make sure they are long enough to fit the total length from the ferrules to tuners. Easily about 35" in total length end to end.

Matt794

Reaction score
Dang, one of the reasons I wanted to try some heavier strings was to maybe try drop D. Oh well, thanks for letting me know how problematic that would be. I suppose if I really want a little more tension I could always just try out the Ernie Ball VI set that comes with a .090.

daniboy

what?!?
Reaction score
IMHO, a .090 will be really floppy if you are planning to play it like a guitar with a pick. To put things into perspective, i use a .060 for a low b and going down to .056 felt like a rubber band. In fact, I'm planning to go up to .064 to increase the tension. So if you have a 7-string or baritone, used it as a gauge.

Lastly, do not mistake string tension on a guitar for that on a short scale bass. Eg. The feel of a 17.5lbs for a .046 on a 25.5" scale and 19.9 for a .084 on a 30" scale differs greatly even though it's almost 2.5lbs more. The higher the gauge goes the more tension is needed for the string to feel tight as thicker strings vibrate more.

The .106 in e on my src6 has a tension (in terms of feel not numbers) similar to a .060 in b on a 25.5" scale, but the stiffness of the .106 is definitely less so than the .060 since it vibrates more. Also, the higher the gauge the more fundamentals is produce to a point guitar strings start sounding like bass due to the lack of overtones. The .076 for a on my src6 still sounds like a guitar but the e sounds more like a bass. Of course, this will be at the expense of string stiffness and tension.

Pardon me for rambling but I hope it makes sense?

Matt794

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm picking up what you're putting down lol.

I was really surprised to feel how the .072 at A1 felt on the src6 because I have a .070 at A1 on my rg8 currently and the 70 actually feels a quite a bit tighter to me, so I figured taking a jump in scale length has some weird effects the way certain things feel and sound.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I run a .025-.095 set on my Schecter Ultra VI. The .095 is a little floppy at E, but very playable.

Oscar Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How about Fender 24-100 Gauge Strings? They Tune E-e an Octave below a Guitar & that 100 Gauge Low E String is going to make it sound more like a proper Bass. It's a Bass VI version of a Balanced Light set.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Dude this is gooooold lol I think this is 6 I've counted so far.

DropTheSun

Reaction score

I use 15 - 22 - 30 - 42 - 56 - 84 ( Strandberg 8 String Set and I leave two of the high strings away). I use Drop E and F# Standard tuning in my SubZero Rogue VI. The tension is "perfect" IMO for my use and the intonation is spot on. Here is a little clip with my BASS VI.