Baritones?

• Thread starter Prada3353
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Prada3353

Banned
Reaction score
i've never used one, so i was wandering, i gather that they are mainly used for just extremely downtuned metal, but do they sound different than a normal guitar? like say, if in a clean setting, you played an open Cmaj, on both a baritone and a normal guitar at the same time, would they sound any different? would the baritone be lower sound or something?

just curious :)

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
If a baritone and a standard scale gutiar are tuned to the same pitch, then the pitch of the note will be the same. However, the tone will be different. The baritone will have a snappier/twangier tone and the low notes will have a piano or bell like quality to them. The standard scale guitar will be much more mid-range focused.

I personally love the sound of the long scale guitar for clean sounds but can not stand it with distortion. YMMV.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I on the other hand, will not buy another electric 7 without baritone scale, because baritone 7s have indomitable rhythm guitar prowess. They also work well for country, i hear :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
that and my hands are used to the 27" scale length and 7 string width

now lets see if my hands get used to or like the 28" scale 8's

heck maybe even a 30" 8

i'd not go any lower than that though

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
They work well for metal, country, rockabilly, surf, indie, jazz, even classical and some folk.

:cool:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
i've never used one, so i was wandering, i gather that they are mainly used for just extremely downtuned metal, but do they sound different than a normal guitar? like say, if in a clean setting, you played an open Cmaj, on both a baritone and a normal guitar at the same time, would they sound any different? would the baritone be lower sound or something?

just curious :)

Well, that's what some people use them for.

My main guitar is a 27" baritone and I tune it to standard BEADGBE. The notes are the exact same pitch, but the timbre is different. The baritone clean sounds more - as some people said "piano-line." The notes are crisper and resonate more. Also, the low B sounded "really low" on normal guitars, but it sounds much like the low E on a standard scale six does - but just really powerful. I don't really know how to explain that, but yeah...

So, to me, the baritone does not sound lower than the standard guitar. If they're tuned the same, the standard scale guitar sounds a little lower. The baritone is crisper, tighter, more articulate, and more aggressive.

I love the attack baritones have for rhythm guitar. You get this focused tight sound.

I personally wouldn't tune it below B (maybe A at the lowest), but I have screwed around with it and taken it down to A, G, F, and lowwwww E just for fun. I think it definitely sounds best in standard.

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
drop A on my baritone is the most brutal sounding thing I've ever played :agreed:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
drop A on my baritone is the most brutal sounding thing I've ever played :agreed:

I had the Viper baritone too, albeit the VB400 model. Absolutely crushing/brutal tone. :agreed: Baritones are really awesome for rhythms, I just prefer the feel of 25.5 because I have small hands.