Bass neck problem (bolt-glue-on)

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
Hi everyone:wavey:
A brother of my girlfriend gave me a bass to modified it.
Is a chinese Jazz bass black, standard.
He want to do the same thing I do on My strat :metal:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/94028-cheap-strat-mod-56k-why-so-serious.html#post1632185

so, when I take off the neck bolts...
well, the neck kept there,:realmad: like glue-on or something. I try to force it a little but don`t want to see woods cheeps.:noplease:
The bass was never dismantle, thats means that no one glue the neck before.
Maybe when were assemble in the factory,the paint was a little fresh, ¿this is a rasonably explanation?:idea:
what can I do? I drop some thinner (paint solvent) on the neck pocket like a ten minutes ago, and I`m waiting if thats works.

Some idea guys?

(sory, very crap english today)

IMG12949.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Its probably the lacquer which melted and made contact somehow on the neck itself giving you the impression its glued...

Scribe around the joint extremely carefull with a fine blade this will prevent the finish from shipping, then give it a little tap on the neck until it gets apart...

Dont use solvents you could damage the finish...

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
thats what I think, what can I do? force it?or wait with the solvent? the funny thing is that the bass is with strings on, and tune, without bolts, so is a very strong lacquer haha

Dont use solvents you could damage the finish...
:idea:
:bowdown:thanks!! I`ll try it, and, for the finish, the reason that I have to disamble is for take off the paint and leave it natural, so, I don`t care.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes if lacquer gets sprayed inside the neck pocket, it can react with the lacquer of the neck itself and bond together...

So be sure to scribe around the entire neck pocket...

If lacquer comes of from the neck at the part where it makes contact with the neck on the sides it does not matter since you wont see it when bolted back together...