Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger

Reaction score
Should I trade

a Basson B412
Buy Basson B412 Guitar Cabinet | Amp Cabinets | Musician's Friend

for a Mesa Rec?
MESA 4x12 Oversized Rec Cabinet

I play heavy tech metal with a Peavey Triple XXX head, Agile 8 string, Ibanez tubescreamer ts9dx, Boss Ns2 noise gate, Boss 10 band eq pedal, BBE sonic maximizer (hardly even turned up at all).

I feel that the Basson has an awesomely unique "ripping" tone with very good low end.

Would it be a fair deal for me? Comments on Basson vs. Mesa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd hold onto the Basson, their low-end is monstrous, yet still clear. Not to say the Mesa isn't a great cab, they're just very different beasts. Is there anything in particular you don't like about the Basson, and would like more about the Mesa? Have you tried out a V30 equipped cab with your rig?

Gunslinger

Reaction score
I'd hold onto the Basson, their low-end is monstrous, yet still clear. Not to say the Mesa isn't a great cab, they're just very different beasts. Is there anything in particular you don't like about the Basson, and would like more about the Mesa? Have you tried out a V30 equipped cab with your rig?

To tell you the truth, the Basson is my absolute god! lol It's distinctive "ripping" sound destroys my ears and i've pretty much got the best tone I could ever imagine out of it. But with the Basson being a straight cab and very well sealed, all the sound goes right out the front of the cab and sounds very different (without "ripping") when not right in front of it.

With that said, Mesa gear is top notch and would like to mix it up if I'd get a better deal by trading for it. The mids are supposedly very good on the mesa rec and I think they're more expensive new and used?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While the Mesa was more expensive new, it's not new anymore, and must I remind that price does not equal tone.

Mesa cabs are a dime a dozen nowadays. In fact there are nine on my local Craig's List at the moment, but zero Basson cabs. The Mesa is plainly not going to handle the lows the same way as the Basson, so I HIGHLY recommend you trying out a Mesa cab, and more specifically a cab loaded with V30 speakers.

By all means go for the deal, but if I was you, I wouldn't jump blindly into it and base it solely on the brand name and price. :2c:

eyebanez333

Reaction score
I have the same rig...just a different tubescreamer model :) I love my Mesa cabinet...I will never sell it. I've only tried the Basson a couple of times, its a great cabinet, and it's definitely got a different sound than the Mesa. Different strokes for different folks...V30s compliment the XXX's voicing very well though.

WITHHISBLOOD

Party Mosh
Reaction score
i would keep the basson. i get compliments on my rig all the time because it provides such a good low end sound and most the time people with mesa cabs are the ones to compliment me. also they dont make basson cabs any more so you can get mesa cabs all the time but not basson

Status
Not open for further replies.