Beginner Guitar package proposals?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys, what about sharing here our proposals for a beginner's guitar package (let's assume for home & small venues usage for starters)? Assuming a $1000 budget for starters and regarding new equipment (used market are not always available... )

For example I'd say a PRS SE CE 24, a Boss SD-1 & a Marshall DSL5cr would make a decent all tube versatile guitar combo & a nice base to begin with.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whatever cheap guitar they think looks cool with a fresh set of strings and a proper setup and whatever cheap modeling combo they can afford afterwards.

Beginners really don't need anything fancier and if they eventually get to the point they'll be playing shows they can upgrade their amp or borrow/rent something bigger.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Whatever cheap guitar they think looks cool with a fresh set of strings and a proper setup and whatever cheap modeling combo they can afford afterwards.

Beginners really don't need anything fancier and if they eventually get to the point they'll be playing shows they can upgrade their amp or borrow/rent something bigger.
The point is to avoid a beginner to get dissapointed with a cheap combo amp and to get motivated from the beginning with a nice guitar tone to develop his technique & play more guitar in general.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The point is to avoid a beginner to get dissapointed with a cheap combo amp and to get motivated from the beginning with a nice guitar tone to develop his technique & play more guitar in general.

I doubt that's what's going to be most disappointing part of starting. Usually it's not being able to play yet. :lol:

If the guitar is comfortable with nice action and smooth frets and they can pull up any tone they might want at any volume they'll be able to and want to play more.

The rig you're talking about is what someone who already plays wants because they might have a better idea of what they're working with.

The biggest complaint I always got from beginners and usually their parents too was their guitars "hurt" or were "hard to play". Once that was fixed the concerns were usually how to get several different tones on command, and for the parents how to do that at volumes they wouldn't pull their hair out over.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm thinking of it like how I'd prefer to start with (now that I know vs back then), so any of your proposals are based on this idea.

Another starters package under the same budget would be a EVH 5150 Iconic 15w combo and an Ibanez RG421...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The most important thing for a beginner is a comfortable guitar that makes them want to play allll the time. Amp doesnt matter. Tone doesnt matter. Dont cloud their brain with tone and gear bullshit, they have their playing life to deal with that. Get them inspired. Help them find the guitar that makes spending hours learning how to fret their first notes properly fly by.

Tone doesnt matter at the start. Never has. They need to learn how to play.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Js series jackson, squier classic vibe or vintage modified, older prs se, epi standards, ltd 200 series, any amp with clean and dirt and a headphone jack.

they gotta want to invest the time to practice. Its the practice that makes so many beginners quit.

Signed, 20 years of private part time lessons to beginners :lol:

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Brand new Squier Strat Pack for $270. Then $730 left over for them to spend on other gear once they figure out what they actually want! Make sure they negotiate a free full guitar set-up into the purchase.

That's how I started - loved the thing and still have and play the guitar 20 years later.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I started on a classical because my parents told me I had to learn on that and then I could get an electric. Once I finished the two Mel Bay books they'd bought, I bought myself a $50 tele and my friend gave me an absolute shit machine 10w Yamaha amp. I thought it sounded rad as hell because I didn't know any better.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
used player hss strat and a katana (or equivalent). Tube amps are too limited in terms of possible tones, need too much outside help, and are generally too loud to be good for beginners.