Beginner metal songs to develop technique

• Thread starter diederrr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diederrr

Reaction score
I’ve been playing on and off for 10 or so odd years. With some lessons in there. Recently been taking lessons for the last 12 months.

I have a decent handle on alternate picking, theory, intervals, chord structure modes scales, some improv. Arpeggios, caged system ect, Blues rock stuff (typical Stratocaster dad player) , but I’ve always wanted to dive more into metal genre.

I don’t know where to start.

I know nothing about tapping or metal rhythm guitar.

I see a lot of this 1 -2 finger playing stuff on YouTube that sort of interests me. But I’m not sure if it’s weak technique with good computer effects modelling and drumming to make it sound better than it is.

Any suggestions where or what to start to learn this new pile of shitee?

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
Honestly, for metal rhythm, start with old school Metallica.

Metal rhythm contains a LOT of sections where you play palm-muted 8th notes all downpicked. Downpicking the entire thing creates a different feel and sound you don't get if you alternate pick it. And to build the speed, accuracy and endurance to get through a metal song, honestly Metallica's old stuff has you covered. Plus there are lots of good enough tabs and lessons online because the songs are famous.

"Seek And Destroy" isn't too fast. "Master Of Puppets" is one of their fastest, also "Creeping Death". "Blackened" combines it with lots of string changes. There's plenty more songs, "Jump In The Fire", "No Remorse"...

Once you've got a good enough grasp of strict downpicking, you can look into other rhythmic figures like galloping ("Battery" by Metallica, also "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden, the riff in Slayer's "Raining Blood" before the crazy part...) and full-on tremolo picking.

Chances are, if you try to play any metal song you like, those techniques will be basically everywhere.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I dunno how universal it is, but many of the metal people I've known spent a lot of time with Rust in Peace - myself included. Megadeth material in general ranges from pretty easy to surprisingly challenging, so IMO there's material in there for any skill level.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
/end thread. Kidding of course, but the Metallica and Megadeth mentions pretty much cover it.

Not a megadeth fan so my school, if you will, was Metallica. Fast forward 20 years and I’m very satisfied with my chops. Of course there’s always room for improvement (God bless music) but start with the OG’s and you won’t go wrong.

Creeping Death
Master of Puppets
Blackened
Battery
And a plot twist - Blitzkrieg. This is a low key solid rhythm song for folks who haven’t tinkered much in metal.

Best wishes and keep asking questions! Just don’t take it to Vegichan levels and you’re golden 😁

Edit: Veg - if you read this, I’ve got love for you but even you’ve gotta admit you go over the top at times lol.

owlexifry

Reaction score
assuming you're actually interested in learning something like metallica or megadeth riffs, I would agree with the advice above.

but if you're not, it's not going to very inspiring to learn or practice riffs that you aren't really that excited about.

it's important to go for something that inspires you or motivates you to play.
think of some 'metal' songs / riffs that you think you could realistically have a go at.

songsterr.com seems to have a really well laid out database of tabs. you can even search for songs by tuning if you have a prefence ie. drop D, drop C etc.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Learn songs you like. If you can’t play something leave it for later, or just keep practicing until you can play it.

But learn stuff you want to play or use in your own songs.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I dunno how universal it is, but many of the metal people I've known spent a lot of time with Rust in Peace - myself included. Megadeth material in general ranges from pretty easy to surprisingly challenging, so IMO there's material in there for any skill level.

RIP is so many thousands of miles away from being beginner material.....

When I started, the first three Metallica albums seemed to very intuitive to me, also the riffing style of Priest and Maiden.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to “learn songs you like”.

I discovered I liked iron maiden (the trooper mainly) and metallica (master of puppets) which tied in to me learning riffs from amon amarth and as i lay dying.