Behold, my ERG from long ago

• Thread starter 7deadlysins666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... Or maybe more like the precursor to the ERG?

Figured you all might possibly get a kick out of this thing. I was in a medieval-ish band for a good bit. A quiet, delicate, instrument with 15 nylon strings and friction pegs is a logistical nightmare in a live setting but man, does it have a cool sound unlike anything else. The body has like a natural reverb.

Essentially tuned like a guitar capo'd at the 3rd fret but with a low F and D. Lower strings are in unison after the second fret (which are tied on, moveable guitar strings). Those are mostly meant to use as an open bass note or drone. 8 courses, so 8 sets of string but the highest string isn't doubled.

I'm out of practice but maybe I'll brush up and learn some Periphery riffs for the sake of stupidity. Just gotta spend a week getting it in tune first!

Anyways, pics!
20240129_210305.jpg
20240129_210321.jpg
20240129_210338.jpg
20240129_210351.jpg
20240129_210421.jpg

Attachments

• 20240129_210305.jpg
    20240129_210305.jpg
    940.2 KB · Views: 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Dope. I think I'm almost ready to enter my hurdy-gurdy phase. Someone typo'd "medieval hardcore" in a thread recently, so if someone was looking for a sign.....
That was me :lol: I got autocorrected.

Do a ton of research on gurdys before you pull the trigger. There are lots of small details that are important or else you'll never be able to play it in tune. Nerdy Gurdy seems to be a good option(and the route I should've taken) but it's hard to properly setup an instrument like that without having hands on experience.

I was actually in the process of getting one built by Knys Instruments but the builder was in a bad wreck and it's no telling if or when he will build again. That was the best deal (and guarantee to get a quality instrument) outside of the Nerdy or the Symphonia by Robert Mandel.

Last edited:

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dope. I think I'm almost ready to enter my hurdy-gurdy phase. Someone typo'd "medieval hardcore" in a thread recently, so if someone was looking for a sign.....
Hurdy Gurdy is exactly what I'm missing for my "medieval pirate themed hardcore solo project" that will never see the sunlight

As @7deadlysins666 said, I lost the interest after I did a bunch of reading/YT watching. I barely feel like changing my guitar strings.. Can't imagine dealing with the aftermath of me severely abusing my Hurdy Gurdy.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score

Figured you all might possibly get a kick out of this thing. I was in a medieval-ish band for a good bit. A quiet, delicate, instrument with 15 nylon strings and friction pegs is a logistical nightmare in a live setting but man, does it have a cool sound unlike anything else. The body has like a natural reverb.

Essentially tuned like a guitar capo'd at the 3rd fret but with a low F and D. Lower strings are in unison after the second fret (which are tied on, moveable guitar strings). Those are mostly meant to use as an open bass note or drone. 8 courses, so 8 sets of string but the highest string isn't doubled.

I'm out of practice but maybe I'll brush up and learn some Periphery riffs for the sake of stupidity. Just gotta spend a week getting it in tune first!

Anyways, pics!
View attachment 137494
View attachment 137495
View attachment 137496
View attachment 137497
View attachment 137499
Very cool! Could be the camera angle but the body looks to be on the long/thin side. Who is the maker?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Anyways, pics!
View attachment 137494
View attachment 137495
View attachment 137496
View attachment 137497
View attachment 137499
Nice!

So what are you thinking for pickups, Black Winters? Titans? Maybe some EMG's?

Reaction score
Very cool! Could be the camera angle but the body looks to be on the long/thin side. Who is the maker?
Roosebeck. It's their 8 course travel lute. The body is a little slimmed down compared to their others and the peg box isn't at such an extreme angle as a typical lute. Though, if I were to buy again I would go with a normal one because I'll never find a hardshell case because of the peg box angle. It did come with a gigbag, thankfully.