Highest gain amp of each manufacturer?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Out of your experience, which is the highest gain amp (stock, not modified) of each manufacturer? For example, I'm almost certain the JVM410h is Marshall's higher gain amp, but sometimes I feel with the right dial in the DSL 100hr can get more aggressive! Same with the Mesa mark & Rectifier series, I feel the Mark iv more aggressive than any Rectifier I've heard. I cannot tell for the other manufacturers though...

(This is a fun & about sharing thoughts and experiences thread, let's not make it a vs battle) 😋

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gain is more or less an amount in which a signal is boosted, we just call stuff "high gain" because that's how it was marketed way back when because the most important thing was volume.

So you can figure out a number, but it's not going to give you a picture of what an amp sounds like IRL.

If we're being pedantic, amps actually don't make any sound. You have to put them through something, and that something is speakers which are going to make a HUGE difference.

But hey, I'm all for saying what amp I think is the "most metal" from the different brands.

I'm definitely a Recto guy more often than not, so that's my Mesa vote. The more wattage the better. The fewer extras too. So a Triple and not a RK.

I think the nastiest Marshalls are JCM800 variants like the KK.

I'm splint on VH4 vs Herbert. I like how I sound through the VH4 more, but everyone makes the Herbert sound awesome, so probably a me problem.

BabUShka

Reaction score
For the ENGL, it must be the Fireball. I havent played all models, but I can't imagine anything more high gain than the Fireball. I had my gain set at 10-11 o'clock when I owned one.

I play the JVM as my main amp, its not that aggressive. Its tight, massive and mean. Its more aggressive with a tight boost in front - but the sounds isn't that aggressive like i.e. the Fireball which is pure fireworks. But the thing I like about the JVM is that its easy to control and it's "predictable" on the high gain.

I played the Vintage Modern a couple of times.. It's not defined as a high gain amp, but it sounded more aggressive than the JVM because of the high mid and high frequencies.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
By "highest gain" I mean the preamp gain, so which has more gain stages on each manufacturer?

Re Engl I had the impression that the Savage mkii is the meanest one (as its name refers) 🤣

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I mean, if you turn the gain all the way up on these amps they turn to mush?

Reaction score
The Triple X from Peavey is probably the gainiest. I suppose it'd be a fight between the Triple X and the 6505 but I'd say the Triple X as the amount of gain on that thing is so stupid that one of the most popular "mods" is putting a low gain tube in the input tube slot to calm the damn thing down.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm going to include amps that have boost features to make things even gainier.

Mesa Mark III or JP2C for Mesa

JVM series with Marshall. That amp has way too much gain on OD red lol

Like @STRHelvete said the 6505 or XXX with Peavey, but I'm also throwing the Ultra/Plus/Rockmaster since the boost on that amp is fucking insane.

Fender (not counting EVH) is the MH. Unless you mean tube amps then it's probably the Machete

Randall would be the T2 or MTS UltraXL module

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Triple X from Peavey is probably the gainiest. I suppose it'd be a fight between the Triple X and the 6505 but I'd say the Triple X as the amount of gain on that thing is so stupid that one of the most popular "mods" is putting a low gain tube in the input tube slot to calm the damn thing down.
I think 3120 > triple xxx re gain (with selection between el34 or 6l6 power tubes)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, I would say there is a big difference between most gain and most aggressive. Many amps have a ton of mush gain, but they arent really aggressive. Some of them most aggressive amps dont have much gain, like a JCM800 for example.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
What about EVH? Is the 5150 III 6L6 Stealth the meanest one?
I might be wrong but I think they all have the same amount of gain on their red channels. Just the red channel of the Stealth is a little more gnarly, and the blue channels also seem to have more gain and aggression.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean, if you turn the gain all the way up on these amps they turn to mush?
There is a sweet spot in every amp's gain, around 12-13 o clock but it depends on the preamp voicing, the cab/speakers etc, but yes the gain all the way up almost always means muddy mess...

Reactions: fps

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Mesa Mark III or JP2C for Mesa
Unless those ones are gainier than the others, any Mark I've played has a pretty usable range compared to other amps. At least compared to other Mesas. They're not at all what I think when someone says "highest gain amp".

Kinda seems like not everyone has the same idea of what "gain" means. More gain doesn't mean more aggressive necessarily. It doesn't mean "more metal" either necessarily. Number of stages isn't really a useful measure because you can have a ton of gain stages and still very little distortion.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
What about Orange -- would it be the Dual Dark? +1 on the XXX/3120, which has an absurd amount of buzzsaw gain.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Unless those ones are gainier than the others, any Mark I've played has a pretty usable range compared to other amps. At least compared to other Mesas. They're not at all what I think when someone says "highest gain amp".

Kinda seems like not everyone has the same idea of what "gain" means. More gain doesn't mean more aggressive necessarily. It doesn't mean "more metal" either necessarily. Number of stages isn't really a useful measure because you can have a ton of gain stages and still very little distortion.
The III has a stupid amount of gain. More than the Rectos I had. And I'm kinda going by a shit memory of the JP2C honestly but I thought the gain channels with the Shred mode engaged got pretty fucking gainy.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What about other companies' high gain amps like Friedman, Fryete, Bad Cat, Laney, Ceriatone, Mezzabarba, Blackstar etc, which amps of them are the most aggressive sounding (or whatever you may call, you got the point)?

Latest posts