Behold The Arctopus - Cognitive Emancipation (2016, Tech, Avant-Garde, Warr Guitar)

Mwoit

Reaction score
a3799983556_16.jpg

http://beholdthearctopus.bandcamp.com/album/cognitive-emancipation

Drummer is Jason Bauers, who used to drum for Psyopus if I remember correctly.

YES

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I like Nano nucleanoic cyborg and Skullgrid but I couldn't sit though third album. I hope this new one is more like either of the first two, which were still pretty different between each other!

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
I have all three of their albums and I used to like them a lot, but my tastes have changed so much since the last album. I'll check it out for sure but I don't know if I'll be into it anymore.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I like Nano nucleanoic cyborg and Skullgrid but I couldn't sit though third album. I hope this new one is more like either of the first two, which were still pretty different between each other!

this one is definitely a beast of its own. first couple listens, it's even more challenging than most of their stuff.

not as "beat you over the head" technical as usual, but challenging in a different and new way.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
from the bandcamp
*THIS IS NOT AN EP
time is eleastic. length is subjective. don't discriminate. *

last i checked, 4 songs in an EP

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
EP is usually determined by length of time. Remember that the terminology is derived from a vinyl of a smaller diameter than an LP. Actually to be more precise, it's derived from a vinyl of a larger diameter than a single, hence "extended".

Does anyone know how much time an physical EP record can cover? They're so tiny I can't imagine it's more than 30 minutes.

Mwoit

Reaction score
EP is usually determined by length of time. Remember that the terminology is derived from a vinyl of a smaller diameter than an LP. Actually to be more precise, it's derived from a vinyl of a larger diameter than a single, hence "extended".

Does anyone know how much time an physical EP record can cover? They're so tiny I can't imagine it's more than 30 minutes.

That depends on the diameter of the vinyl (7", 10", 12" or whatever) and the RPM (33.3 / 45).

From wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
An EP originally referred to specific types of vinyl records other than 78 rpm standard play (SP) and LP,[1] but it is now applied to mid-length CD and downloads as well.

In the United Kingdom, the Official Chart Company defines a boundary between EP and album classification at 25 minutes of length or four tracks (not counting alternative versions of featured songs, if present).

I don't really care if people think this is an EP or an album. BtA says it's not an EP. Cool.

I feel that this album has not as wild drumming as Horrorscension (Weasel Walter blasts = :yesway:) but it retains the atonal, classical style of melody. This definitely needs a lot more listens to dig in.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score

Same boat. For me it's the lack of jazzy Warr breaks and ambiance that were included in some songs off the first two releases.

I'm going to check this one out momentarily.