Belated NAD and a question or two [Shiny content]

• Thread starter TheMasterplan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheMasterplan

Creator//Destroyer
Reaction score
Howdy,

I'd like to thank those of you who commented on my thread in which I was looking for a new full tube high gain head. Much to even my own surprise I ended up with a used, seemingly older Mesa Triple Rectifier Solo Head:

12009628_10207844101604138_2494370009729509529_n_zpsrenpwdqw.jpg

Not sure what else to say besides, "wow". I never considered a Mesa in my wildest dreams because I could never get them to sound how I wanted. After doing an obsessive amount of research and bugging some forum members (You know who you are and I thank you for putting up with my incessant line of questioning :yesway:) I got it to sound just the way I wanted. It is loaded with EL34's and I much prefer them now that I know what I know. The studio that my band practices in has a newish Dual Rec loaded with 6L6's and no matter what I did, I couldn't bring in the mids without it sounding...I'm not sure how to put it, but it was not to my liking. That being said, having the EL34's and using the "Spongy" & Rectifier Tube settings on the back I'm getting amazingly well balanced, thick, dark tone from chords and great single note definition with better mids and I only had to sacrifice a tiny bit of low end thump. It's still there, but I noticed it more with the 6L6's in that Dual Rec I referred to earlier. It also compliments my lead guitarist's 5150 III extremely well which is neato. Still stuck with this Randall Colossus cab which I now hate because I had an opportunity to use this head with (same settings) a Mesa Stiletto and Rectifer cab and the difference in polish makes me want to set this Randall cab aflame. It's a little beat up, but she's still awful purdy and I couldn't be happier. There's been an occasional issue with something I'm jokingly referring to as "sentient channel switching" when I have it on with literally anything else plugged into the wall, but it's been very solid.

My question, however, is this:

I had ordered a Maxon OD808 as it was expressly recommended to me by damn near every individual I have encountered that knows about or has seen my new (to me) Triple Rec. After I took the head home and tried it out with the matching Mesa cabs (Stiletto/Rectifier), I felt like it was plenty heavy and tight without the boost, so I ended up returning the pedal. It was being held for me where I ordered it and told them nevermind rather, never got it in my hands. I know it sounds like a dumb question, but should I still get the OD? If I run a clean boost in front of it now will it get even better? I have the gain kind of between 12 and 1 O' Clock and it's heavy and tight as is. If I got that OD boost would I be able to roll back the gain or is there no point? I like to keep my setup trim as you can see. The fewer things in my signal chain (the Line6 POD XT Live is just there, I don't use it), the happier I am, so not having to be conscious of an OD pedal would be nice, but if it can take me even further down the tone rabbit hole it's worth the investment to me. Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
HNAD Man! Rectos are crazy awesome when paired with the right cab and with a little tweaking - I played an old 90s Single Rec through a Mesa cab equipped with Black Shadow speakers, it was SICK.

As for the OD question - I'd say, give it a shot. You can always return it if you don't like it. At the very least, it's a good overdrive for your clean channel to bring in some crunch, because a good clean channel with an overdrive in front can sound awesome, and can potentially give you some very glassy cleans if you roll off the volume on your guitar.

Personally however, I'd suggest a Boss SD-1 over a Tubescreamer variant, for 2 big reasons - price, and durability. They're $50 brand new all day, and even less if you buy used, and it's a boss pedal - run it over with your car, and it'll still work and sound good. Plus the buffered bypass can help if you're driving long cable lengths. They do sound a little different from TS pedals, too, so that might help set you apart from everybody else that's using a TS and Recto. Give it a shot!

Spinedriver

Reaction score
My question, however, is this:

I had ordered a Maxon OD808 as it was expressly recommended to me by damn near every individual I have encountered that knows about or has seen my new (to me) Triple Rec. After I took the head home and tried it out with the matching Mesa cabs (Stiletto/Rectifier), I felt like it was plenty heavy and tight without the boost, so I ended up returning the pedal. It was being held for me where I ordered it and told them nevermind rather, never got it in my hands. I know it sounds like a dumb question, but should I still get the OD? If I run a clean boost in front of it now will it get even better? I have the gain kind of between 12 and 1 O' Clock and it's heavy and tight as is. If I got that OD boost would I be able to roll back the gain or is there no point? I like to keep my setup trim as you can see. The fewer things in my signal chain (the Line6 POD XT Live is just there, I don't use it), the happier I am, so not having to be conscious of an OD pedal would be nice, but if it can take me even further down the tone rabbit hole it's worth the investment to me. Thoughts?

When running an od in front of your amp, the difference is quite subtle but very noticeable at the same time. The only way to describe it is to say that it "tightens" it up. The effect it will have also depends on what kind of od pedal you use. Some people really like the mid boost that the 808 gives but personally, I prefer pedals with a bit more control over the bass & treble. I whipped up a quick demo to show the difference between straight gain and boosted gain. Granted, I'm using a GSP1101 and not a live amp but it's been my experience that it reacts pretty much the same.

Sample 1 is the Randall RG100 model with the gain turned up to 85%.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/voss451/rg100-no-od[/SC]

Sample 2 is the same RG100 with the gain down to 48% and boosted with a Visual Sound Drivetrain pedal.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/voss451/rg100-w-od[/SC]

With the od engaged, you can hear the gain being a bit more saturated and the palm mutes have a bit more "chug" behind them.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
If you love the sound of that Triple without a boost, trust me, you'll want to hear it with one. It'll make you smile. Worse case, you don't, and you can return it. But, I'm betting you'll keep it.

OD808's are great, got one and love it. But I love my Green Rhino even more for it's tweakability. Heard a lot of good things about the Seymour Duncan 805 which has an eq on it as well.

Try one, you won't be disappointed.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE my my Seymour Duncan 805. With the 3 band EQ included you have a lot more control over what frequencies are boosted than you get with most overdrives. I've tried a lot of different OD's and after getting the 805 am selling off most of them.

Jaxcharvel

Reaction score
If you're running active pups (which it looks like you are) the need for the boost will lessen. I still like a boost for most applications, but my other guitarist plays a Recto with active pups and doesn't use a boost, and it sounds pretty damn good. I still prefer the attack a good boost gives in a low mid focused amp.