Best DiMarzio option for a Fluence Guy

• Thread starter James W Thomas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

James W Thomas

Dr. Jim (Actual doctor, but not that kind)
Reaction score
I'm looking for a quick and easy swap for the bridge in my 26.5" 7 string RGD, tuned down 1 step. I have the Fluence Modern set in my RGXL and it's perfect for me. The RGD is a backup for the RGXL, so the ideal pickup will sound good without much tweaking on the fly. Ideally it would be a DiMarzio so I could just drop it in without tweaking/routing and also so it would be available in white. I have Deactivators in a couple of other guitars, and while not that exciting, this would be a workable option if I could find one (not that easy). However, I'm up for something with a little more character as long as it wouldn't stray so far from a Fluence-type voicing that I'd have to make major adjustments when I change guitars. Maybe think "people who like moderns also like..."

Thanks!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

James W Thomas

Reaction score
if you like the moderns, just go that route and get a second pair. no point fucking around
This might actually make for some useful info for someone browsing this thread at some point. Both guitars came with Fusion Edge pups. When I put in the Moderns in the RGXL I had to have the pickup cavities routed deeper, which is a capability I don't have on my own. I would expect the same issue with the RGD. So, the total cost would be hundreds with weeks of downtime vs a hundred and change and an hour in my garage (mostly retuning <g>). Plus, as much as I like the Moderns I wouldn't be sad to have something a little bit different for variety, but just "compatible."

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Since you have the D-Activator as a point of reference, what would you want more/less of from them to get to where you want? I haven't tried any of the Fluence line through my rig, but I have had the D-Activator 7 in a bunch of guitars and compared them to other models :2c:

James W Thomas

Reaction score
I've found the D-Activator to be a little bland and sterile - which to be fair is the biggest criticism I see of active pickups anyway, so they must be doing something right. Honestly I probably would have pulled the trigger on one by now if I'd run into one in white with black pole pieces. The extra step of ordering from DiMarzio and waiting is just enough to make me want to check out other options before I do.

Zhysick

Reaction score
I would say Dominions but those are not available for 7 strings, right? Second option could be Titans but those are "sterile" also as per what people say around so... I would go D'Activator...

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I've found the D-Activator to be a little bland and sterile.
I can only speak for the 6-string version, but:

That's very much due to how flat the EQ curve is. Some people find them bland / sterile / lacking character, but others find them ideal for the versatility this offers in shaping the EQ with amp / pedal settings. IME they have plenty of all frequencies, which allows me to reduce frequencies instead of trying to add them - this avoids the harsh / thin ice pick highs or muddy low end that you may get when trying to achieve the same tone with a more characterful pickup (that has less of certain frequencies).

I would say the D Activator bridge tone is somewhere between EMG 81 and Evolution. Have you considered Evolutions?

Black Winters may also be worth consideration. Not DiMarzio, but passive so a simple installation (if your pickups are direct mounted, you'd probably need to file the mounting tabs on the baseplate (to make them triangular like DiMarzio, instead of square).

Last edited:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I've found the D-Activator to be a little bland and sterile - which to be fair is the biggest criticism I see of active pickups anyway, so they must be doing something right. Honestly I probably would have pulled the trigger on one by now if I'd run into one in white with black pole pieces. The extra step of ordering from DiMarzio and waiting is just enough to make me want to check out other options before I do.

You may enjoy the Titan then. Overall pretty similar to the D-Activator, but with less output and low end and a bit more upper mids. Again, I haven't tried the Fluence, but most reviews say they have an upper mid/treble peak to them too. The Ionizer is also tight with great upper mids, but it isn't quite as aggressive as the Titan IME. It'll do heavy stuff no problem, just in a different flavor.

Have you considered swapping the D-Acrivator neck into the bridge position? That was a common mod people were doing with their LTD AW-7 models a few years ago because they were generally pretty dark-sounding guitars and the DA neck brought out more clarity/excitement. May be worth a shot since you already have other guitars with DA sets you can cannibalize to at least see if you like it.

mechanyx

Some Kind of Munster
Reaction score
I came here to say D-Activator after just reading the title. What's with them being hard to find? I've never had a problem getting any Dimarzios. Where are you located?

James W Thomas

Reaction score
Evolutions are certainly an interesting option. Do they stay tight for low, chunky rhythm? I have a Jem with them but it's only 6 string of course. (Black Winters are a bit of a genius idea since Duncan will swap them if they don't work out.) - Thanks!

James W Thomas

Reaction score
I came here to say D-Activator after just reading the title. What's with them being hard to find? I've never had a problem getting any Dimarzios. Where are you located?
I'm still trying to keep the guitar stock-looking, so I'm trying to find a 7 string D-Activator in white with black pole pieces. The closest I've come is white with gold. I'm near Phoenix. With my schedule I'm probably best off just ordering from DiMarzio...

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Evolutions are certainly an interesting option. Do they stay tight for low, chunky rhythm? I have a Jem with them but it's only 6 string of course. (Black Winters are a bit of a genius idea since Duncan will swap them if they don't work out.) - Thanks!
If you're in the US, don't both Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio have an exchange if you order from them direct? (No such luxury here in the UK, but we benefit from BKP's exchange policy).

jaxadam

Reaction score
I am very interested in suggestions as well as I have a buddy that has two Strandbergs, one with Fluences in it and the other the Strandberg version and they do not sound that great. He’s looking for passive options.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I am very interested in suggestions as well as I have a buddy that has two Strandbergs, one with Fluences in it and the other the Strandberg version and they do not sound that great. He’s looking for passive options.
The OP was after recommendations of DiMarzios that sound similar to Fluences. It sounds like you may be after passives that sound quite different to Fluences ("they do not sound that great").

A good starting point would be to identify what your friend doesn't like about Fluences - what they lack, what they have too much of etc.

jaxadam

Reaction score
The OP was after recommendations of DiMarzios that sound similar to Fluences. It sounds like you may be after passives that sound quite different to Fluences ("they do not sound that great").

A good starting point would be to identify what your friend doesn't like about Fluences - what they lack, what they have too much of etc.

Sorry, let me reiterate. My buddy has a Strandberg 6 with Fluences and loves them. He just got a Strandberg 7 with Strandberg branded passives, and they don’t sound great. I played it this last weekend and agree. He is looking for passive replacements in the 7 that would be similar to what he loves about the Fluences in his 6.

mechanyx

Some Kind of Munster
Reaction score
I'm still trying to keep the guitar stock-looking, so I'm trying to find a 7 string D-Activator in white with black pole pieces. The closest I've come is white with gold. I'm near Phoenix. With my schedule I'm probably best off just ordering from DiMarzio...
Thanks for clarifying. I was very confused as to what the availability issue might be. I thought maybe you lived in a country with crazy import duties.

I've basically never considered aesthetics. Whenever you're trying to get X but in Y color, your options will be limited. I'm guessing no matter what pickups you decide, you're unlikely to find them in this color scheme.

You might want to see if anything happens to be available in this color scheme and just buy it regardless to try it out and see how it goes, or put in the custom order from Dimarzio and get clarification/commitment on their exchange policy to see how many times they will let you swap and if they will let you swap custom ordered color pickups and replace them with different models in the same color scheme.

estin

Reaction score
From the demos I have listened to the duncan nazgul sounded pretty similar to fishman fluence. while listening to the nazgul I actually thought "this is like a passive fishman fluence modern"

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Contact banjomikez on eBay or order directly from Dimarzio. It's an option on the Dimarzio site so I don't see why you couldn't get it.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have no experience with Fishman but do with Dimarzio. I have a Blaze in a hardtail RG that has a really open and clear sound and an Evo in an RG7420 that is okay but kind of blah in comparison. I much prefer the Blaze in that instance, it has clarity and I like how it chugs.