Best gigable 1x12 COMBOS as pedal platforms.

Gmork

Reaction score
Really into 1x12 tube combos atm. Looking for some that are loud with a tonne of headroom and have a big deep/bold lowend/mids. Will be getting my gain etc from pedals.

Whatcha got?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Are you looking for it to provide it's own gain? If not, a Fender Deluxe Reverb would be hard to beat as a pedal platform.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I loved the Rectoverb 50 I borrowed a few years ago. You can get em for peanuts on GC used, well you could like 2 years ago, I'm not sure about now.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Mesa Mark V:35 combo
Peavey 6505 60w combo

Synergy also makes a 1x12 combo. It comes with a built in clean channel and then a slot for whatever module you want. Pretty fuckin sick if you ask me.

Do you just want a pedal platform or do you want something that can also do high gain well on its own?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Synergy also makes a 1x12 combo. It comes with a built in clean channel and then a slot for whatever module you want. Pretty fuckin sick if you ask me.

That is actually hella cool. If they had a 212 version I'd be in trouble. New amp every now and then!

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Fender HotRod Deluxe or DeVille (2x12) is a monster pedal platform combo that is readily available everywhere and currently 500-600ish on the used market.

Bodes

Reaction score
Are you looking for it to provide it's own gain? If not, a Fender Deluxe Reverb would be hard to beat as a pedal platform.

Ex-guitarist got some super-sweet high-gain metal tones with his stock early '00 LTD H-207 (cockstock FTW) into a Boss GT-something into a Fender deluxe reverb.
But could only use it at practice when it was on sitting on something so was at ear level, and definitely needs to be mic'd for gigs.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Also, not 212 but you might like the DV Mark DV40. It's an EL34 40W tube combo with neo speakers that only weights 37lbs. It also has power scaling from 40W down to 0,5W and it self biases, so you can drop in any power tubes you like (just make sure they're matched).

https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/n-ad-the-ultimate-pedal-platform-amp.346906/

It's the heart of my pedalboard rig and I couldn't be happier. I've used it with several preamps (AMT SS11/20, KSR Ceres, Victory Kraken) and it always delivers. There is also a 112 version of it, but at a 2,5lbs difference better get the 212.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Fender is an obvious choice. There are 115 Reverbs out there. Music Man also made some 112 combos in the HD line (also 115, 210, and 212) which would be my personal first choice.

Lab Series are great SS amps if you can find one.

Some older peavey combos (VTX, Stereo Chorus 400) are well known for their high headroom, but the more recent Classic combos I've tried don't have enough headroom for good pedal platforming.

Gmork

Reaction score
@wheresthefbomb yeah ive thought about going with a peavey 1x15 tnt100 bass amp though im kinda wanting to go for tube for that extra bit of squishiness in the lowend if ya know what im trying to say lol

dspellman

Reaction score
Really into 1x12 tube combos atm. Looking for some that are loud with a tonne of headroom and have a big deep/bold lowend/mids. Will be getting my gain etc from pedals.

Used Carvin Nomad.
EL84s, 50W, awesome clean channel, decent gain channel. There are mods available (google "Hasserl Mods") that are outstanding. Best with a V30 (they came stock with them for a while). There's a 2x12 with the came chassis called the Belair. Extremely loud. They're open-back, so you're not going to hear big deep/bold low end.

Used Carvin X100B. The single-12 version is the X112B or X112E (100W brit-voiced speaker or Electrovoice EL/M, respectively). 100W, EL34s, very loud, fairly decent low end (again, open back), headroom for days. Active controls, five-band graphic EQ, more.

There are two versions of each of these amps, as they were reissued in the early 2000s. The older models are seriously good. The newer model X100B has slightly reduced volume levels (different transformers), the newer Belair/Nomad has a digital reverb, while the old ones have spring reverb. The digital reverb on the newer ones may be slightly nicer, actually.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Used Carvin Nomad.
EL84s, 50W, awesome clean channel, decent gain channel. There are mods available (google "Hasserl Mods") that are outstanding. Best with a V30 (they came stock with them for a while). There's a 2x12 with the came chassis called the Belair. Extremely loud. They're open-back, so you're not going to hear big deep/bold low end.

Used Carvin X100B. The single-12 version is the X112B or X112E (100W brit-voiced speaker or Electrovoice EL/M, respectively). 100W, EL34s, very loud, fairly decent low end (again, open back), headroom for days. Active controls, five-band graphic EQ, more.

There are two versions of each of these amps, as they were reissued in the early 2000s. The older models are seriously good. The newer model X100B has slightly reduced volume levels (different transformers), the newer Belair/Nomad has a digital reverb, while the old ones have spring reverb. The digital reverb on the newer ones may be slightly nicer, actually.

I have an original x100b half stack that I've been using as a pedal platform for years and I can confirm that it has tons of headroom and low end, especially with the graphic EQ. The head is 100w but there's only a very slight headroom drop when I switch to 50w.

The dirt channel sucks but that's not an issue if you're just using pedals. I forget it even has two channels most of the time.

Biggest/only drawback of the older models is no master volume.

mongey

Reaction score
def fender for me

unless you want to venture into the boutique , mega expensive ,TGP approved, pedal platform zone like a shur or something

messing around with the katana 50 for practice I bought really has re ignited the joy of clean amp with pedals for me . no switching channels , no effects loops . feels fun

I'm think of selling of the recto and looking at a nice 1 x 12 tube combo myself

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to my world.

The best bass I’ve ever heard out of a small combo is the Fender Bassbreaker series. The 15 is the larger version that also 3 gain stages. It does color your tone more than usual Fenders.

There are a ton of Fender 12” combos. They’re the industry standard for pedal platforms.

Personally I would grab a Fender Tonemaster Super. It’s a 410 but super lightweight (35 lbs vs 90 for the real one). It’s incredibly loud and has tons of bass. It also takes pedals incredibly well.

Peavey Delta Blues 210 is like a big 12 combo size. But 2x10 projects far better.

Supro Super, Keeley, Thunderbolt (15”), Black Magick. Supros are some of the best pedal platform amps.

Tone King Imperial or Sky King if you have the cash. My SK is super loud but has attenuators and is the king of pedal platforms.

Victory RK50C if you want a Marshall flavored combo. Takes pedals well.

Harmony 650

Koch Jupiter 20

Last edited: