Best Metal Gear game???!!!

xdenzleed

Reaction score
Decided to make this thread 'cause i had to say goodbye to my metal gear shirt a few days ago and started the pc version of Metal Gear Rising. As the series has grown on me over the years I've become more and more curious on what people believe is the best one. So now the dark times begin.....muahaha

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soliloquy

Reaction score
i created a metal gear thread a while ago.

but anyways, for me, my favourite game of all time, thus the best of the series, is metal gear solid 3. from its story line, to game play, to character development, challenges, puzzles, twists, actions etc. the game was absolutely perfect. it had a great charm to it and with a great sense of humour too.

what i loved about part 3 more so, among many reasons, was that if you break metal gear solid 1 and 3 into segments, they both are the EXACT same game! both had a mentor that betrayed a snake. both had snake's love interest hurt, both had a battle on a moving vehicle near the end, both had a car chase near the end, both had the quiet part after an intense battle (ladder in MGS 3 after the end, the snow glaciers in MGS1 after psycho mantis) etc.

metal gear solid 3 was just brilliant.

i've tried nurmerous times to play peace walker. it just never works. its menu loses me and i get more annoyed with it than amused. i'm sure its a great game, but i cant get past the first 30 minutes of it.

cant wait for meatal gear solid 5.

i kinda hope they will expand on 'the boss' sometime in the future. but at the same time, if they ever do, maybe they will taint her legendary status. the less we know of her the better?

KJGaruda

Likes a good riff
Reaction score
I'll always have love for Metal Gear Solid for PSX. So many memories with that game. And despite the divided fanbase, Revengeance was badass too.

I've kinda fallen off of the story line after the 3rd one, so I'm not too sure what's happening anymore, but they're all amazing games.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
MGS3 is definitely my favorite. It had the most depth regarding the gameplay, and all other aspects are top notch as well. MGS1 is obviously awesome as it's a classic. Heck, I even really liked MGS2...despite some bad pacing it had some of the best moments in the series IMO.

klami

Reaction score
Best one for me is Metal Gear Solid for Playstation. Played that game a lot!! MGS3 was also very good! I lost total track on MGS4 though, I don't mind the cutscenes, but the story just seems convoluted and hard to follow!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
The first Metal Gear Solid.

Then again, I didn't play much of 3 or 4. But that first MSG, man oh man, that's a top 10 for me.

morethan6

Reaction score
MGS1 is one of my all time favourites, up there with FFVII and Last Of Us. To be fair though, if you take away the nostalgia value, MGS4 is absolutely incredible. Still one of the best looking action games out there. Very interested to see the new ones...:)

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
my fav might be MGS2: Sons of Liberty, but i know i'm in the minority here. its ok. 4 was great. couldnt get into 3.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
if I were to rank em

MGS3 was my favorite overall hands down. Best story, great characters, didn't get too ridiculous, awesome soundtrack.. ladder climb scene with the Snake Eater theme. and that ending! ho man. Subsistence version was better because in the original playing in open areas with the close in MGS top down camera was annoying

MGS1 a legit classic.

MGS2 way too goofy and weird, and Raiden instead of Snake.

MGS4 the whole story seemed like childish garbage, so many stupid moments. But it was gorgeous and played hands down the best out of the whole series, which makes it worse. They finally nailed the controls, and ....ed upeverything else

xdenzleed

Reaction score
1st one I played was MGS4 I bought it on the day of release completely by accident. Really loved the multiplayer on that. MGS3 is an obvious classic, Took me a while to get into MGS2
, never played MGS1. So far I'm really enjoying MGR: revengeance. The two other games look incredible so far.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I actually just picked up the MGS Collection for PS3 a month or two back and am finally getting around to it.

I'm about halfway through MGS3 (never played it before) and so far it's a much better return to form to the original MGS.

I actually really like MGS2 up until Raiden; at which point, like others here, shit just got too weird for me.

I'm eager to get to MGS4 as I haven't played that either.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
Without a doubt the original for psx. It will ALWAYS hold a near and dear spot in my heart, it was just so much fun. Snake eater was a better game when it's all said and done but MGS was just what started it all for me.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Also just started the MGS HD Collection. Haven't played MGS since I was like 6 when the original MGS came out and I used to love that game.

Really enjoying Snake Eater, MGS2 is pretty fun too but definitely different with the whole Raiden thing. Peace Walker looks great, has the controls all worked out but then they went and did that shit with the comic book cutscenes and home base stuff and it just feels...strange.

I do love this series though and MGS3 is sweet. If I had a PS3 I'd play 4 but I only have an xbox 360 for now

xdenzleed

Reaction score
I think you will enjoy MGS4 quite a bit due to it's great graphics. I picked it up as my first game so I had no idea what was going on :p

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Sons of Liberty is when I fell for this series, Snake Eater was good but didn't stack up for me. And 4 is not as good as either of them IMO, still fun but nothing that replicates the atmosphere and gameplay of 2 & 3.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Sons of Liberty is when I fell for this series, Snake Eater was good but didn't stack up for me. And 4 is not as good as either of them IMO, still fun but nothing that replicates the atmosphere and gameplay of 2 & 3.
I just finished my first playthrough of Snake Eater and I'd say it's up there in my favorite games of all time.

About 65% done with Sons of Liberty and I like it too but not as much as Snake Eater.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
My favorite was MGS 3. I can't remember what improvements it had over MGS2 but I remember liking the gameplay a little more. Maybe the CQC was expanded a bit? I also liked the camoflauge system & I think there was full camera control...but that may have been for the re-released version of MGS3.

From what I remember, the story was easier for me to digest than the stories of MGS2 & MGS4.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
Msg3 for me was Just the game of my life for my middle school years. I initially got demo disc thing with a demo of mgs 3 on it, and played the first couple areas of the game like 50 times. Eventually the game came out and I rented it at the local movie store. Amazing characters, huge story, and superb gameplay. An instant classic. I finally got a ps3 were i am living and picked up msg4 used for 3$ Its pretty sweet so far but just not as neat as msg3 HD for me right now.