Best modern day bassist?

• Thread starter MSS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dig Eugene's playing, he's up there for modern metal bass talents. Charles is insanely good at most everything, such a ridiculous talent. Adam Neely is really good too, he has a lot of great analysis and music theory videos. Jacob Umansky is insane, Polyphia's bassist... So many great talents out there.

I don't know how I'd pick a favorite. I'd have to break it down into categories because Charles Berthoud is ridiculously good but I don't think he'd immediately fit in with Jinjer, or Eugene doing stuff that Charles does.

Reactions: MSS

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
This prog stuff doesn't do much for me, to be honest. So I'd say Max Lavelle from The Black Dahlia Murder is really really good. Brandon gets all the attention in that band now, but Max plays pretty interesting bass lines, not always just doubling the guitars. His tone is also huge, especially on the newer albums and live. And it's all done with fingers, which seems super impressive to me.

velvetkevorkian

The beat starts here
Reaction score
"Best" is difficult to quantify but my current all-round favourite is Martino Garattoni of Ne Obliviscaris. Super chops but very tasteful, and a great tone to my ear.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Brandon Giffin is the best IMO. His work is great all-around and he does super interesting lead lines while still playing bass and totally serving the song. No wonder he got the Cynic gig a while back, too.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I really love Chaoths playing on Unexpects two albums In a Flesh Aquarium and Fables of the Sleepless Empire. Shame they broke up, and double shame that I don't care much for his post Unexpect band.

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Idk if they'd count as the *best*, but two really tasteful bassists that come to mind are Jordan Eberhardt from the Contortionist and Jared Smith from Archspire. Jared in particular impresses me a ton because he only picked up the bass guitar for the Archspire gig, and he shreds on it.

I also like the Dingwall + Darkglass combo in heavier music, so from a sound production/gear junkie side, Nolly is also one of my favorites for popularizing that sound

Aewrik

Reaction score
Jacob Umansky or Henrik Linder based on them being the ones to even reach me in the first place - most individual musicians don't. Charles Berthoud is an amazing player, too. There's always a better player out there somewhere, but if you manage to get into the scope of the masses you have to be something special.

Is it just me, or is this song 100% better with the bass front and center?

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
This prog stuff doesn't do much for me, to be honest. So I'd say Max Lavelle from The Black Dahlia Murder is really really good. Brandon gets all the attention in that band now, but Max plays pretty interesting bass lines, not always just doubling the guitars. His tone is also huge, especially on the newer albums and live. And it's all done with fingers, which seems super impressive to me.
Skill Issue. Listen to spiral architect and come back

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A ton of underground punk bands have bass players that absolutely rip nasty bass lines and smooth fill ins , but can still play a groove to slow music . While the more well known guys are awesome to watch , if you go to some small shows that come your way you'd be surprised at how many talented players there are that just aren’t into the social media aspect of their playing .