Best N64 games?

• Thread starter Faine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Faine

Playing guitar.
Reaction score
Well I'm currently Downloading a Final fantasy 7 ROM/ISO and its at 2.4/412MB with 8 hours left awesome.... -___-

I THINK my Playstation 1 emulator works.. It opens up and everything but I dont have a game right now to test it on. SO I guess I have to wait forever....

EDIT: its only disc 1 of 3...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Some emulators can play .zip and .rar ROMs straight, and others need you to unzip them and then open the unzipped (uncompressed) file. I have less experience with N64 and PS1 emulators, but I figure most of them are the same. I've no idea how to operate them on Macs though.

Ocarina of Time is still in my mind, and many gamer's minds as the best game of all time.

The game is obviously outdated, but I still find it such an incredible game. It IS arguably the best video game of all time. Simply because it was so groundbreaking, and served as the base for so many other games. From dynamics, to level design, to game style. I really like the story as well, but I feel it may lack a bit... But perhaps that's due to the fact that it's an old game. I love watching TV series and movies, and I always look for loose ends and/or what I consider poorly developed plot sections, and OoT has a fair share of those... But that might just be me over-analyzing the game. It's still my favorite game for the N64, and one of my favorite games ever.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
The game is obviously outdated, but I still find it such an incredible game. It IS arguably the best video game of all time. Simply because it was so groundbreaking, and served as the base for so many other games. From dynamics, to level design, to game style. I really like the story as well, but I feel it may lack a bit... But perhaps that's due to the fact that it's an old game. I love watching TV series and movies, and I always look for loose ends and/or what I consider poorly developed plot sections, and OoT has a fair share of those... But that might just be me over-analyzing the game. It's still my favorite game for the N64, and one of my favorite games ever.

I personally can't fault it. Aside from the fucking Water Temple (!) it's pretty much flawless. The music, the atmosphere conveyed through such basic technology, the immersiveness and the sheer magic of it. To me it's as perfect as a game can get. The only games I think have even come close to it are GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption.

flint757

Reaction score
Not being able to jump was infuriating, but a lot of old games and some new games limit that ability.

Faine

Playing guitar.
Reaction score
nvm forget it, I rage quit. It didnt work. The emulator didnt work. I'll just play on my n64 emulator. I have a ps1 anyway, Just dont have FF7

flint757

Reaction score
PS1 games might be easier to find used. It does seem to be a pain in the ass if you already have FF7 downloaded try this.

Free File Hosting & Video Downloads, Free File Sharing, Online Friends Network - Ziddu

Haven't tested it with a game, but it opens and seems to run fine just make sure when you are setting up to click test for each settings screen and it should say working correctly that way the correct things are installed. I'm downloading a game now to test it, but it seems promising.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally can't fault it. Aside from the fucking Water Temple (!) it's pretty much flawless. The music, the atmosphere conveyed through such basic technology, the immersiveness and the sheer magic of it. To me it's as perfect as a game can get. The only games I think have even come close to it are GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm not trying to put it down. I just love it for what it is. A lot of newer games may have prettier graphics, much smoother playing, and even stories that are developed much better... But OoT still manages to be immersive, compelling, and even haunting and scary in many occasions. All this using the few resources available at the time (in comparison with what newer systems can do). And, to be honest, the last few times I've beat the water temple, I found it so much fun! I feel it's a brilliantly designed level, specifically designed to drive anyone insane, at least the first time through. I might've beat it about 10 times already, and I still forget that one key, every damn time, even though I know by heart where it is located. I just forget to go get it :lol:. But I digress.

Has "Star Wars Episode I: Racer" been mentioned yet? I found that game so ridiculously hard, yet so amazing! The level designs were incredible. Everything happened so fast!

The N64 also had my favorite Mortal Kombat game: Mortal Kombat Trilogy. I loved the huge amount of characters available (all characters from all the previous MK games). I still have no clue about the story though, because I couldn't speak English at the time, and I haven't played it since. But I have great memories of playing that game with friends.

EDIT: Oh, also, jumping in Zelda games is really unnecessary. He automatically jumps for you when he can reach a ledge. If he can't reach it, he won't jump. Even if you could jump by pressing a button, it wouldn't get you anywhere more easily. with that said, I was very WTF'd the first time I played it as a kid, for not being able to jump... Such was my frustration, that I kept trying to get onto places by jumping backwards pressing Z :lol:. I used to get on top of that pedestal at the temple of time where the spiritual stones go after you get them all. I'd just stay there for hours (mind you, I was a kid :lol:) rejoicing in the fact that I was even able to get on top of something where you weren't supposed to be :lol:.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
yeah faine the PS1 is harder to emulate, i beat FF9 on my computer that way.

cartridge systems are so straight forward in regards to ability too emulate

texshred777

Reaction score

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
yeah faine the PS1 is harder to emulate, i beat FF9 on my computer that way.

cartridge systems are so straight forward in regards to ability too emulate

The 64 is one of the rare exceptions to that, I can't find any emulator that I would call stable and it seems every second rom dump is completely fucked.

To this day I can't find a good ROM of Mystical Ninja 64, and that makes more than a little bit sad.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Uncharted's a pretty good platformy adventure game. Of course I wouldn't buy a console for one game. Just saying.

My wife bought me a PS3 for my 30th birthday and I didn't really start to enjoy the system until I played Uncharted 2. I would actually say the system is worth getting just to be able to play the Uncharted series; its that good.

There's also ton of indie games out right now that are more classically themed that are quite good.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on playing modern stuff, just saying that the current systems have a lot of retro-style content (both actually retro and new games).

flint757

Reaction score
The last one I posted works perfectly. Just follow the steps click test to make sure it works download game files and unzip them. Then you select the bin file and voila game.

I've got Crash bandicoot up and running.

[EDIT]

I'd unzip the playstation rar too and then put it where you want it and create a shortcut. The folder functions like a program folder.

texshred777

Reaction score
My wife bought me a PS3 for my 30th birthday and I didn't really start to enjoy the system until I played Uncharted 2. I would actually say the system is worth getting just to be able to play the Uncharted series; its that good.

There's also ton of indie games out right now that are more classically themed that are quite good.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on playing modern stuff, just saying that the current systems have a lot of retro-style content (both actually retro and new games).

I had a PS3 before I traded it for the xbox, I really enjoyed Uncharted 2. It was a great game. Trine was fun, too.

flint757

Reaction score
I had a PS3 before I traded it for the xbox, I really enjoyed Uncharted 2. It was a great game. Trine was fun, too.

Other than the better online community (although paying for it isn't something I'd do without extras getting thrown my way) and a few games like Halo I didn't see the point in the X-box when most games are cross platform and PS3 has the better hardware.

I love Unchartered it's like a movie you are a part of.

Mordacain

Reaction score
Other than the better online community (although paying for it isn't something I'd do without extras getting thrown my way) and a few games like Halo I didn't see the point in the X-box when most games are cross platform and PS3 has the better hardware.

I always wind up getting each system in a generation. The 360 gets the most play for me as the cross-platform games tend to be a bit less glitchy & have slightly better frame-rates; according to most developers, the PS3 is a bitch to program for when porting titles so PS3 ports tend to suffer). I also prefer the 360 controller overall.

That being said, its best just to go for the system that has the exclusives you most want to play if you are limited to getting one.

Since rebuilding my PC, its been my go-to for new titles.

Also, I can't recommend PCSX for PSX emulation enough. Its definitely the most compatible and most-tweakable out of all the PSX emus I've used (and I've used most of them). You can actually get a PS3 controller and use it with the addition of 3rd party drivers (which kind escapes me atm).

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I have a Ps1 + Ps2 Emulator set up working perfectly with a Playstation controller, although I don't use Roms seeing as I have 100+ games in disc format anyways and I can get most games for $1-$10 on eBay now (Yes, I have bought many many playstation 1 games for 0.99c each, just because they were $1..), I just use the CD-Rom function.. I use ePSXe for ps1 and PCSX2 and have no problem running any games so far.

I know this is a N64 thread, but it seems to have turned into an emulation thread, which i've been doing for about 6 years :lol:

flint757

Reaction score
I always wind up getting each system in a generation. The 360 gets the most play for me as the cross-platform games tend to be a bit less glitchy & have slightly better frame-rates; according to most developers, the PS3 is a bitch to program for when porting titles so PS3 ports tend to suffer). I also prefer the 360 controller overall.

That being said, its best just to go for the system that has the exclusives you most want to play if you are limited to getting one.

Since rebuilding my PC, its been my go-to for new titles.

Also, I can't recommend PCSX for PSX emulation enough. Its definitely the most compatible and most-tweakable out of all the PSX emus I've used (and I've used most of them). You can actually get a PS3 controller and use it with the addition of 3rd party drivers (which kind escapes me atm).

Motionjoy lets you use PS3 controller, but I only have wireless controllers and no bluetooth on PC.

Yeah that's true pretty much everything microsoft does is open source which helps. I haven't noticed any glitching though and they are quick with the updates. All I know is I'm waiting a couple years before after the next systems release before getting it even if it is absolutely amazing.

texshred777

Reaction score

It pretty much came down to the Halo series, Mass Effect series(computer sucks-Mass Effect was still xbox exclusive at the time), Gears of War and the only PS3 exclusive I liked at the time was Uncharted. At that time the cross platform games looked/played better on xbox for the most part. My TV's only a 32" 720P so Blue Ray is pointless for me too.

I do agree that the PS3 is a better machine, there were many things about it I preferred. It just happened that my favorite games(that weren't cross platform) were only on the xbox at the time.

I won't be getting the PS4/Xbox720 or whatever for quite some time after launch. Not only to see which has the better game selection, but I'm apprehensive about what I'm hearing about the future of console game EULA's.

Mordacain

Reaction score
Motionjoy lets you use PS3 controller, but I only have wireless controllers and no bluetooth on PC.

Yeah that's true pretty much everything microsoft does is open source which helps. I haven't noticed any glitching though and they are quick with the updates. All I know is I'm waiting a couple years before after the next systems release before getting it even if it is absolutely amazing.

Ah, thanks. I haven't reinstalled my emus yet and forgotten that Motionjoy was the driver set. Its does work with the wireless controllers through USB though, just a little FYI incase you need the controller in a pinch ;)

I usually wait for a quite awhile after a new system come out before I get them (or unless I just can't wait anymore to play a particular game).

And on-topic:

I echo my support for Goldeneye, Zelda:OoT and MM & also Tactics Ogre 64. All excellent games. Sadly, all Nintendo system post SNES have only had a couple of games per system that have really intrigued me and I've ultimately sold all of their systems because of it.