Best single coil for shred and fullness?

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Ive been really digging alot of guitars with humbucker/single coil configuration. they look really sick, however im not so sure on how single coils would sound for what i do. is there any neck pickup single coil (bkp , dimarzio, whatever) that can put out the same fluid,and full sound that any other humbucker could, for neck "metal" shredding (like sweeping and legato and really fast stuff), and keep that thicker full sound?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

snowblind56

Reaction score
I use Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the neck position of every guitar that has a single coil in the neck. Granted, they sound nothing like single coils, but the are my favorite neck pickup and I play a lot of sweeps and legato in the neck position.

wakjob

Reaction score
Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Solo and Solo Pro. I used the Pro in the bridge of one of my strats, but always thought about putting it in the neck. Very P-90 sounding. Raging mids. No hum.

Virtual Solo

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I'd say go with an Air Norton S if you want to keep the single coil look.

Personally I love the Area 58 in the neck. Nice and fat and handles a bit more gain than a traditional single.

In the bridge, I am very much in love with both the Heavy Blues and Heavy Blues 2.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Air Norton S is a pretty cool pickup. It's a humbucker, fits in the single coil spot, about as close to a liquifire as you're going to get in a single coil sized pickup.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Air Norton S will probably the closest to the Liquifire sound. The area pickups by dimarzio are also cool, didn't Paul Gilbert use one a lot?

Latest posts