Biggest fanned frets out there?

Lilliputti

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anybody here know multiscale guitars with huge fan? Pictures or experience. Any brands/luthiers that have made them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
I have a 25.5 to 29 custom. It's awesome. It basically eliminates stretches. I posted a ngd with it awhile back.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Not to be rude but why do you want a particularly wide fan?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
My 9 string is 24.75 - 29.25 which is one of the widest I've seen. The Novax 8s for Charlie Hunter are pretty similar angle.

THere is a pic in here of a bass with a huge fan
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...647-fanned-frets-how-extreme-too-extreme.html

There is talk recently of a 40-25.5 bass for Jean Baudin.

Not to be rude but why do you want a particularly wide fan?

The more strings you add, a big fan becomes a requirement otherwise you are always compromising. Mine is roughly 30-25 because that's what length strings 'should' be ideally when tuning low E to high A. A shorter high end would be even better!
I'm not sure how I'd feel about an angle more extreme than mine - which is just over 0.5" per string on guitar spacing. Theoretically by that I should be happy with the bass posted in my link above but I think it is too much with that neck width.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I have a 25.5-28.625" 6 string being built; it's fairly extreme in terms of fanned fret instruments.

DrJazz

Reaction score
There is talk recently of a 40-25.5 bass for Jean Baudin.

Then again, Jean Baudin is using tapping more than any other technique. From my point of view, this gives him even less elbow room to compromise on tension and string gauge. And anyway, Jean is pretty much know for his extreme basses anyway, so I'm not sure anyone will be surprised :lol:

I think the "maximum fan" is mainly determined by your finger span. 3'' is pretty common on this board (not that it's any indication!), though you're not likely to see bigger fans than 5'' often.

If you're trying to figure out the best fan for you, why don't you simply simulate how the fretboard would pan out (right here : http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/)? You can even print it out, carve yourself a rough neck shape in foam and see if the stretches are confortable with the actual hand placement related to that fan. Also, your hand shape will be influenced both by the fret placement AND the neck shape, so the closer to the real neck profile your foam carving will be, the closer your evaluation of the fretting ease will be.

Lilliputti

Reaction score
40-25.5... Dat Fan! The 9 string with 24.75 - 29.25 looks killer!
I've just ordered a 28-24.5" six stringer for all fifths tuning! I go from low A to high G#, but the high G# is bugging me:(. I don't want to go below low A, so should i just use a .008 for high G# or should i contact octave4 for more "durable" and bendable string? What do you think?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
40-25.5... Dat Fan! The 9 string with 24.75 - 29.25 looks killer!
I've just ordered a 28-24.5" six stringer for all fifths tuning! I go from low A to high G#, but the high G# is bugging me:(. I don't want to go below low A, so should i just use a .008 for high G# or should i contact octave4 for more "durable" and bendable string? What do you think?

Garry Goodman can be quite an asshole and the waiting times are long. I wouldn't like to rely on just one company for the function of the guitar either, which is why I went 24.75 for my G# :)
You will have no prob with the 24.5 G# using 008s from regular brands - it should last up to full step bends. If you've decided that's your max fan, maybe 27.5 - 24 is an even better idea. There will be absolutely no problem bending on that!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
For me, it becomes too wide a fan very fast. Like 1-1.5" is my max limit probably. And even then it's a bit much. I love the idea of it, but my mind just doesn't cooperate!

dudeskin

Reaction score
love that 11 string bass, man gets more range, then plays mario on it, wtf!!

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a 23.5-27 or 27.5 9 string Xen. Eric sent me a bunch of different options to try out as well. But I would really like to string High A with a .09 DR Neon. We shall see. Be some months before I have the cash saved up!

ixlramp

Reaction score
I'm having design thoughts about having less frets, perhaps 19 frets = 2/3 of the scale length is fretted, this allows a more extreme bridge angle and a bigger fan.
For example imagine a multistring tap instrument / ERB only fretted up to the octave, with the nut and 12th fret at a maximum practical angle (45 degrees?), the bridge will have an extreme angle. Then you play more across the strings than up, the instrument begins to resemble a fretted grand piano ...

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'm having design thoughts about having less frets, perhaps 19 frets = 2/3 of the scale length is fretted, this allows a more extreme bridge angle and a bigger fan.
For example imagine a multistring tap instrument / ERB only fretted up to the octave, with the nut and 12th fret at a maximum practical angle (45 degrees?), the bridge will have an extreme angle. Then you play more across the strings than up, the instrument begins to resemble a fretted grand piano ...

I've thought about that - seems to make sense when you look at the highest frets on the lowest strings of my ViK, and especially something like this http://www.lettsbasses.co.uk/root/images/mockups/13string natural.jpg

But then - the high strings are still perfectly usable .. and I don't really see what else is useful to do with the space? I do use those lower string upper frets for tapped harmonics and reference, at least.

ixlramp

Reaction score
2040fan2.png

vansinn

Reaction score
^^ which tool is this? - don't recall it, or maybe the gui has been changed..

Latest posts