Biggest fanned frets out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I've got a 6" fan 10 string that Eric (XEN) designed and Tom (OAF) is building. I was going to go with a 28-33" fan but decided just this week to go with 27-33" because I want the higher strings to be a little mellower. The fan us pretty big, but if I hold it with the neck higher up ( like I do when standing or classical position) it's fine. Seated, with a horizontal neck, is a challenge for barred chords at the first few frets. That's probably my limit to fanning. Of course, the more strings, the wider the fretboard and the less extreme it is from string to string.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Heh that 40" to 20" is only half serious, i was trying to see if i could do a 2:1 scale ratio with a maximum fret angle of 45 degrees.

What concerns me is that on the high frets, small unintentional sideways movement of the string results in a large pitch change.

So here's that 35" to 25.75" Wishbass with the misplaced saddles.

1225272083lmj5.jpg

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
.... yes that looks to be coming along well and with so many strings is really quite reasonable!

Reaction score
Matt at Etherial just finished the Shibito 10-sting with a 29"-25" fan. (So far, as far as a real straight-forward guitar goes, that is the largest I have seen.)

ixlramp

Reaction score
Hit bandwidth limit on botophuket and my image disappeared from the other thread so i'll just leave this here ...
This is just a design exercise not a build, see Lettsbasses haha.

40" to 24", a 5:3 ratio, 7th fret normal, makes top Ab4 easy with any normal guitar string, and has enough length and tension for a .254 G#00 on the bottom. The 'fret to string perpendicular' angle rarely exceeds 45 degrees and only does so in non-critical areas.

XWfOvBJ.png

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Matt at Etherial just finished the Shibito 10-sting with a 29"-25" fan. (So far, as far as a real straight-forward guitar goes, that is the largest I have seen.)

EE's Vik has a 0.5" larger fan with one less string, and Durero posted a while back about an 8-string with a 5" fan that he's played. The latter is the largest fan by increase per string of any completed guitar I know of and is actually larger than Hollowway's upcoming 27-33" 10-string by that metric. There are basses with larger spacings (Dingwalls are 0.75"/string, larger even than the aforementioned 8-string), though I think that Letts prototype is the first attempt I've seen at a design with more than a 1" increase per string.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
My upcoming 9 string is 24.75-30", should be done in the next couple of months.

edit - ixlramp that looks intense, the fan actually makes it look like the neck is bending to the right when it clearly isn't.