Bitter Music Shop People

• Thread starter Xanithon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xanithon

Headbobbing Galore
Reaction score
Kind of a rant... Also want to hear others' stories :D

Today i was demo'ing amps with my friend (since he's getting like $3500 on his BDAY next March) and we were playing this Mesa Boogie really quiet (even though there was no-one in store). The guy talking to us about what amps he could go for was one of our friends, so he was playing around etc with the head and stuff and getting some good / shitty tones out of it to show us. As soon as he goes upstairs to do some work, i decide to jump on and turn on the Clean channel and attempt some All New Materials - all is well. Then as soon as i put it on the high gain channel and start playing Prison Born the other dude was like "heeyyy,, HEEYYY!!! Calm down there boy, enough with the guitar practice - you go play your music elsewhere" and just unplugged me and turned the amp off and took the guitar off me, while playing. :nuts:

Actually had a very similar experience with the same dude - same circumstances about 3 months earlier. Was playing Totla Mad on a JP6 and the guy starts saying stuff like "ohh heeyyy, got some crazy fingers there - hey LOOK 5 minutes up - TIME TO FINISH *unplug*". He was also very constantly standing behind me and trying to show me stuff on the guitar that was unnecessary etc

Both situations, i only have it where you wouldnt hear it if you walked in the shop, but if you were within 10 metres then you'd hear it kinda. All the rest of the staff are freaking awesome people its just this one old fat dude.:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I do realise that working in a music shop place isn't exactly pleasant - with all the dimecore kids dialing 10B 0M 10T 100% drive etc and turning it up and playing their own rendition of Angel of Death.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
So you think sitting there practising your Peripherly riffs makes you any different from the Douchebag Darrell kids? I've met some good music store staff and some bad ones(Sound Control, when they were still in business, had great staff, Guitar Guitar are terrible for example), but if I ever want to buy something I make it very clear I'm in the store to spend money. That way, the staff will probably kiss your ass, instead of throwing you out.

I can see how the staff are in a difficult position - No one likes test pilots and tyre kickers, but then there is no need for them to be rude about it.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's unexpectedly shitty service to get in a music store, regardless. Fuck that nonsense.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i usually dont touch the merch unless i have money in hand and intend on buying.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I'd just say to em 'If you're going to be a dick and not let me try this amp out properly, which by the way, costs a shitload, then I'm not going to spend my money here. In fact, I'll tell anyone I know who thinks about coming here to buy something.'

Your friend had the money to get an amp and more, and was a potential customer. There are ways of getting people to stop playing, such as being nice and asking them to finish up soon. Walking up to someone and unplugging them is fucking rude. I try not to try anything unless I really plan on getting it at some point though.

Mexi

Reaction score
but even if someone legitimately had the money to buy it, theres no need for staff in any music store to be that rude.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I kick tires but I almost inevitably come back to buy whatever it is I like. I'm in a financial situation where I usually can't show up to the music store with the cash in hand to make a purchase but I don't just play shit to play shit. I've spent a few thousand dollars in music stores and I don't spend one fucking dime in a place that treats me like that, so it's a stupid decision to chase people off like that any way you cut it.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
but he didnt have the money, he is waiting on money he says he will get in march of next year.:scratch:

Well he was getting money, he is still a potential high value customer, though I didn't see the next March bit. That is kinda far away. Even so, should treat people with more respect.

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
i usually dont touch the merch unless i have money in hand and intend on buying.

This.

Its fun to go to the guitar shop and try a bunch of gear out, but a lot of people treat it like its a just a huge free jam room and they play/detune/ding up a bunch of gear they couldn't ever afford. At least that's how it is at the large chain stores and I can see how that can get frustrating for the staff who probably feel more like babysitters than salespeople a lot of the time. Not saying that's what the OP was doing, but the staff is subjected to this all day and it probably puts them in a bad mood. Its no excuse to be rude, but I can see where they're coming from.

That said, I usually like to talk to someone before I try out anything that costs in excess of $750. Let them know that I'm not just fucking around. With that approach, they'll probably treat you a little better.

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
noodleing around vs potential customer.... That is the question the fat old guy asked himself. He figured you were just fucking about on on an expensive amp. If you really want to get this guy good:
When your friend has the money, go in there and do the same thing untill he comes over being a dick....
Then you guys can be big smartasses to him / Show him a fat stack of cash and tell him you are spending it else were because he has been a douchbag every time you guys attempt to try out the amp. Make sure to turn it loud to get his attention! :hbang:

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
This used to happen to me at GC. Spend enough money some place and then they know your not just there to play around. I have never had that happen to me tho at a small mom and pop shop. Now when i walk into guitar center they don't know if im their looking or if im making my next big purchase, so i always get the best treatment (not they were terrible i just dont deal with the BS any more)

Murmel

Reaction score
Its fun to go to the guitar shop and try a bunch of gear out, but a lot of people treat it like its a just a huge free jam room and they play/detune/ding up a bunch of gear they couldn't ever afford. At least that's how it is at the
I was actually in my local shop last week and I saw that they had an ESP Eclipse hanging there. I was almost too scared to take it down because it was really far up, even for me and I'm pretty tall. I had to step up on one of the amps to reach it, and I was so afraid I'd scratch it, fortunately I didn't :)

But yeah, always treat everything in a shop with extreme care (doesn't matter if it's a music store or not..) even the cheap-ass $100 Squires.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
At my local music store, the guys let me into the office to chat and pretty much play any guitar I want, as long as I don't take the piss (no touching the £1500 acoustics!).

One of the dudes said he'd bring in one his guitars for me to have a shot on.

Majorly sound guys :D

avenger

Reaction score
I go into guitar stores and browse all the time. Sometimes I pick stuff up and play for 5 minutes, sometimes I play for an hour.

Its usally the hour long noodling that makes me leave with a new love under my arm.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Just another way to push themselves out of business! Fuck em. It's cheaper, more pleasant and more fair to buy used off forumites. ;)

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
take a shit load of money there, tell them ur goin to buy an amp, try every amp as load as u can, last minute, say u dont want to buy one.
/

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I always ask to play the high end axes... Those are the only ones I want to try and I usually never get treated like that no matter how long I decide to play it (I normally don't take advantage, though). I guess some ppl are just assholes. It can't be helped... :shrug:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I go into guitar stores and browse all the time. Sometimes I pick stuff up and play for 5 minutes, sometimes I play for an hour.

Its usally the hour long noodling that makes me leave with a new love under my arm.

"MESSAGE!" :lol: