BKP- HELP!

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
hey,

basically Ive had my 1527 but the pickups are absolutly :fullofit:

I've put some money away and ive decided im gonna go with some bare knuckles, from the clips ive heard im pretty convinced that bare knuckles will give me the tone im looking for

Im pretty sure Im going to want the cold sweat in the neck but im having a tough time decideing between the Nailbomb, Warpig and Painkiller

my only concern is I can't play these before i buy them because i live in Canada:mad:

Im looking for a really tight full sound with a nice smooth lead sound

this might sound weird but im looking for what bareknuckle pickups look like they would sound like, really hot I geuss?
:scratch:

I dont know just any opinions would be cool

thanks guys

smilies are so cool

:sharpie: yay!

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
If you want tight and smooth... Nailbomb, for sure. The painkiller is tight, but is a more of a mid grinding pickup. The warpig is tight too, but not as tight as the other two.

Your best bet: Contact tim @ BKP and tell him what you use, and what you want. His advice is golden.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
i dont want too smooth
the painkillers would deliver a bit more of a punch then

I will contact tim then

thanks man

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
also, one more question
what does the ceramic magnet ad?

I looked it up and it seems like theres mixed feelings about it but i cannot find an explanation on what it actually does, Im geussing it will just make a thicker sound but im more than likley wrong haha

any help?

Zehailiu

Reaction score
From what I gather the ceramic gives you more saturation, and a tighter bass response, but slightly worse cleans and less warmth than Alnico version of the same pickup.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
oh, well we dont want worse cleans...i do play in jazz band at school so i geuss i should probably stick with the alnico magnet then...hmmmm...

but tighter lows is very tempting

thanks man

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The cold sweat neck has an Alnico V magnet and will give you great cleans. If you want tightness I would stick with a ceramic magnet in the bridge.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I've probably listened to most clips of the CWP in BKP forums, I think the cleans can be VERY decent if you use the proper amp for it, I've heard some very nice clean tones from a guy whose name escapes me right now, using a VH4 + Blackmachine with Ceramic WP. So I won't totally discount the CWP:)

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
The cold sweat neck has an Alnico V magnet and will give you great cleans. If you want tightness I would stick with a ceramic magnet in the bridge.

My Nailbomb has an Alnico V magnet in it and it's tighter than a nuns butt. :shrug:

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
I've probably listened to most clips of the CWP in BKP forums, I think the cleans can be VERY decent if you use the proper amp for it, I've heard some very nice clean tones from a guy whose name escapes me right now, using a VH4 + Blackmachine with Ceramic WP. So I won't totally discount the CWP:)

yeah but some of that great clean tone probably has to do with the fact that he's playing a blackmachine

does anyone on here have a guitar with a cold sweat with an alnico magnet in the neck and a painkiller with a ceramic magnet in the bridge? clips would be highly appreciated [you'd think id know someone but ive just been lurking here for the past half a year pretty much]

thanks for the help guys :hbang:

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
i listened to some clips on the bare knuckle forum
i think im going to go with the painkiller with a ceramic magnet for the bridge and the cold sweat with an alnico magnet for the neck

once again thanks for the help guys

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
hey,

Im pretty sure Im going to want the cold sweat in the neck but im having a tough time decideing between the Nailbomb, Warpig and Painkiller

Im looking for a really tight full sound with a nice smooth lead sound

this might sound weird but im looking for what bareknuckle pickups look like they would sound like, really hot I geuss?
:scratch:

You're getting terrible advice. I can help, I'm a dealer and consider myself an expert on the line, especially with 7-strings and in a metal context. Tim is a great resource too, but he's swamped making pickups and I'd rather him do that than answer emails his dealers can answer for him.

Anyways, I see people going on about different pickups but not really factoring in what guitar you're using. The ceramic Warpig and Painkiller are great yes, but there are other models that are voiced better for basswood/rosewood bolt-ons like your Ibanez RG1527.

The pickup you're looking for which is a perfect match for your 1527 is the Miracle Man. It has a thick, chunky, aggressive tone yet it has a pretty smooth lead tone. In the bridge it's got harmonics galore, great attack/power, and a low-mid emphasis with fluid high mids. The neck version is amazing clean, with very fluid lead tone w/ great sustain yet still articulate.

I'd recommend the Miracle Man calibrated set. The Cold Sweat is the other model which seems to get the best results from basswood guitars, with the Holydiver and Nailbomb being close behind, but based on what you're looking for I feel confident recommending the MM. I dont think the WP/PK would be a good fit.

If you have any questions or would like to order, feel free to get in touch with me. :)

Cheers :cheers:

-Nick

PS: Golden rule: clips of BKPs = mostly worthless/inaccurate. I'd put more weight into customer reviews, or descriptions from experts such as myself, Tim, etc.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
You're getting terrible advice. I can help, I'm a dealer and consider myself an expert on the line, especially with 7-strings and in a metal context. Tim is a great resource too, but he's swamped making pickups and I'd rather him do that than answer emails his dealers can answer for him.

Anyways, I see people going on about different pickups but not really factoring in what guitar you're using. The ceramic Warpig and Painkiller are great yes, but there are other models that are voiced better for basswood/rosewood bolt-ons like your Ibanez RG1527.

The pickup you're looking for which is a perfect match for your 1527 is the Miracle Man. It has a thick, chunky, aggressive tone yet it has a pretty smooth lead tone. In the bridge it's got harmonics galore, great attack/power, and a low-mid emphasis with fluid high mids. The neck version is amazing clean, with very fluid lead tone w/ great sustain yet still articulate.

I'd recommend the Miracle Man calibrated set. The Cold Sweat is the other model which seems to get the best results from basswood guitars, with the Holydiver and Nailbomb being close behind, but based on what you're looking for I feel confident recommending the MM. I dont think the WP/PK would be a good fit.

If you have any questions or would like to order, feel free to get in touch with me. :)

Cheers :cheers:

-Nick

PS: Golden rule: clips of BKPs = mostly worthless/inaccurate. I'd put more weight into customer reviews, or descriptions from experts such as myself, Tim, etc.

I have a ton of questions actually so ill pm you

thanks a lot man:bowdown:

whosdealin

Reaction score
I had a Ceramic Pig in a Basswood Ibanez 7 and it sounded really great. I also tried the Nailbomb, Coldsweat with A8 magnet and a Painkiller in that same guitar. Nick I don't think you've tried the C-pig in B-wood ? I would go with that over the MM because I felt the MM was a bit too focused in the low mids.

The Nailbomb sounded killer also but a bit loose on the lows in that guitar.... The Coldsweat Alinco8 was tighter than the Nailbomb and it was smooth and warm. The C-pig had a good mix of Tight bass, clarity, aggression, and mids.

I would go with either the C-pig if you want very modern aggressive, or the Coldsweat with an Alinco8 if you want tight but smooth........ And the Nailbomb if you want the most organic sound with a bit of a loose lowend.

I have tried the entire BK modern line of pickups, if you have any specific questions shoot !