Blackstar ht mkii

Reaction score
So I've been looking at amps a lot and I think that the Blackstar ht 40 mkii was right for me.
The only problem is that I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere and can't really try it out.
I'm going to be playing progressive metal, so I need the clean and distortion channels to sound good.
Does anybody have any experience?
And if you have a better amp at the same price range than I'd like to hear what it is as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
Strongly consider a Laney Ironheart. Much better for prog metal, IMO.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
gross. why not just get a valve junior and put a pedal in front of it. it's basically what the ht series is.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
The Ironheart is richer, tighter and more articulate, aggression levels are about the same... For more death metally stuff, a 6505 or 5153 of some variety might be your favorite.

Blackstar is geared more towards heavy rock, and their "metal" range is just crap IMO.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
5 watts is enough for the home studio or recording - but do you plan to play live? Do you like the tone of the Blackstar better than anything else?
The 6505 and related are the go-to amps for any kind of metal tones in the studio. The low-wattage variants should make you happy if you like metal tube tones. Just use boosts and outboard EQs to tailor the tone how you want and consider a noise gate.

EDIT: I had a 5150iii combo and I liked the cleans on it because you could get a nice amp breakup to use with pedals. However I prefer solid-state or modeler cleans...

Reaction score
just liked the Blackstar specks, I'm going to be using it for recording and live (if its possible), and I'm getting a noise gate anyways.

shred-o-holic

Reaction score
I actually like the HT series a lot. I am in the minority on the internet apparently. Tone isn't much the concern as is durability. I see a lot of these amps refurbished and resold. I am intrigued by the series II but sure the EVH amps are win all day long. Nothing wrong with the metal tone of Blackstar HT's to me...

LCW

Reaction score
just liked the Blackstar specks, I'm going to be using it for recording and live (if its possible), and I'm getting a noise gate anyways.

I have the HT20 MKII head with the 2x12 vert cab. I like it quite a bit. Check em out at your local shop if you get a chance. Works great with tubescreamer, RAT, Fortin Grind... also using a Fortin ZUUL with it.

shred-o-holic

Reaction score
I actually like the HT series a lot. I am in the minority on the internet apparently. Tone isn't much the concern as is durability. I see a lot of these amps refurbished and resold. I am intrigued by the series II but sure the EVH amps are win all day long. Nothing wrong with the metal tone of Blackstar HT's to me...

LOL.....………….and then I bought a Tremonti…………..way way way cooler for \m/

Latest posts