Blacktop Tele in standard sounds fiercer than Gibson Les Paul in Drop C?

• Thread starter P-Ride
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrunsred

Reaction score
'Heavy' to you is bassy or low-mids?

I'm realising (particularly with a modded Boss GE7) that I love upper mids; harmonics, feedback and lots of nuances in palm-muting, string muting etc.

Heavy to me is along the lines of Electric Wizard, Sleep,etc.

The sound that just hits you in the gut.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
So I have set neck guitars, neck through guitars, and bolt on guitars, and IMO, scale length has a much bigger effect on tone than woods, and woods have a much bigger effect on tone than neck attachment method. [Flamesuit:= ON]

Seriously, though, it's all subjective. Some guys love the retro vibe, others hate it, but if someone sounds good rocking a Danelectro DC, that's totally cool. We only really truly know what we like in terms of tone and feel as far as our own instruments. Listening to someone else play, you pick up maybe 50% of the tone of their guitar from what you notice when playing it yourself.

For heavy music, I'd take a Tele with a bridge humbucker over a Les Paul or an SG or whatever Gibson any day. But plenty of guys in heavy music play Gibsons, and, then again, there are guys like John 5 who get a heavy sound from a Tele.

P-Ride

Reaction score
So I have set neck guitars, neck through guitars, and bolt on guitars, and IMO, scale length has a much bigger effect on tone than woods, and woods have a much bigger effect on tone than neck attachment method. [Flamesuit:= ON]

Seriously, though, it's all subjective. Some guys love the retro vibe, others hate it, but if someone sounds good rocking a Danelectro DC, that's totally cool. We only really truly know what we like in terms of tone and feel as far as our own instruments. Listening to someone else play, you pick up maybe 50% of the tone of their guitar from what you notice when playing it yourself.

For heavy music, I'd take a Tele with a bridge humbucker over a Les Paul or an SG or whatever Gibson any day. But plenty of guys in heavy music play Gibsons, and, then again, there are guys like John 5 who get a heavy sound from a Tele.

Thanks, that's really, really helpful.

You're right. This is all subjective; but there's clearly some science going down and wisdom and experience of others to help point me in the direction of my own unique quest.

I already had a feeling I need to spend some time with a longer scale guitar to see if that's better suited to Drop C than my Les Paul. Now should I replicate something I already like, like the Tele, or try something totally new?

Could go for Ibanez or PRS.. And move my Les Paul back up to standard?

I need to visit my guitar shop and try a few!

P-Ride

Reaction score
What year is the les paul (first and 5th number I think)? I heard recent gibson's are very hit and miss.

2005. When I sent it to a Gibson-authorised workshop, they said it was a really nice model.

TBH, what I've read about set-necks and Gibsons, it's starting to make more sense that a Telecaster, with it's snappy set-neck and using standard tuning is better set for the particular sound I'm going for.

Equally, I think the Gibson is better at soulful, warm sounds.

The question is whether I need something that can do the Telecaster twang, but also lower tunings, too.

P-Ride

Reaction score
As a third guitar for Drop C, I'm looking at the PRS SE baritone.

It comes as standard set for B, but how would this handle CGCFAC?

A PRS would be a wonderful compliment to a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Telecaster as a trio of guitars.. hopefully I could keep it at these three.

Low Baller

Reaction score
So your tele sounds more fierce than your LP. IMO teles are some of the most fierce sounding guitars even with a single coil. They get a rep for being twang machines but honestly when it comes to their versatility they don't get the recognition they deserve. You can dial many tones with a tele simply with just the tone knob. I love
Teles I have a few dream guitars but two is a tele 8 with humbuckers and a tele 8 with the single coils (when I say dream I mean dream not reality). I prefer teles over LPs all day even though LPs are great guitars when they're a hit. I tell everyone I have two guitars and I really only need two I have my schecter banshee 8 which I can make get chunky heavy metal tones or nice glassy strat tones. It can do the job of a strat, LP, Ibanez you name it. But the one thing it can't do is get a tele ice pick tone. It has nazguls which clean can get ice picky but something about the tele bridge pup no guitar can get there unless it's a tele. Oh and btw my tele is a squire affinity stock, no upgrades yet and it still kicks ass and gets a lot of attention.

P-Ride

Reaction score
So your tele sounds more fierce than your LP. IMO teles are some of the most fierce sounding guitars even with a single coil. They get a rep for being twang machines but honestly when it comes to their versatility they don't get the recognition they deserve. You can dial many tones with a tele simply with just the tone knob. I love
Teles I have a few dream guitars but two is a tele 8 with humbuckers and a tele 8 with the single coils (when I say dream I mean dream not reality). I prefer teles over LPs all day even though LPs are great guitars when they're a hit. I tell everyone I have two guitars and I really only need two I have my schecter banshee 8 which I can make get chunky heavy metal tones or nice glassy strat tones. It can do the job of a strat, LP, Ibanez you name it. But the one thing it can't do is get a tele ice pick tone. It has nazguls which clean can get ice picky but something about the tele bridge pup no guitar can get there unless it's a tele. Oh and btw my tele is a squire affinity stock, no upgrades yet and it still kicks ass and gets a lot of attention.

Yeah it's strange, given how much I identify with a Les Paul and love that shape.. I've been so faithful to it.. and suddenly realise how much I love Telecasters!

I remember when I was 15 and my earliest experiences with guitars were with Fenders, as the guitarist I met who inspired me played a Stratocaster and my local music shop only stocked Fenders, I saw a Telecaster in a magazine and thought it was the ugliest guitar I'd ever seen.

I'm 30 now and for the past 4-5 years, the Telecaster has just grown and grown on me.. like a fetish. I love utilitarian, simple designs.

I think really, I just love single-cuts! With possible exception of the PRS design, as it's such a curvy, weighty shape.. I love curves. Hate spikey and skinny guitars.

Basically, for standard/Drop D tuning, I think I have an amazing combination with my Telecaster and Les Paul.

My question now, is whether my Drop C guitar should be a smooth, set-neck guitar like my Les Paul, or a twangy Telecaster style guitar! Hopefully not both?!

3 electric guitars really has to be my max!