Blending amps and quad tracking (did some tests)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey all,

Blending amps and quad tracking, both aren't very new concepts, in fact there are many many albums out there that use these methods to get a huge guitar tone. However, there are multiple ways to go about this and I wanted to find out how they sounded in comparison to eachother. I'm also very curious to know your thoughts! What are your methods? Which one of my tested methods sounded the best to your ears? I want to do more videos on blending amps in the future, so I would like to find 1 or 2 methods that simply work the best.

I'm trying my Mesa Dual Rectifier and Peavey 6505 here. Check it out and let me know your thoughts!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Really enjoyed the Double Tracked method where each had its own DI and the Quad Tracked method with the reduced volume to keep the wide field, but retain definition.

The Quad w/DI for each sounded really good when you did the arpeggio because that thickness added a great boost to the high strings, but the Double sounded better for the other parts to me.

I'd love to see you explore more on the single DI in to multiple amps side of things. I always enjoyed plugging in to two or three amps at once and then blending them, but getting everything phase aligned and balanced right could be a damn nightmare. It was great once you got situated though because being a singular performance, it had a different quality to it.

I'd also really like to hear the results of blending amps set quite differently to broaden the tone. Kind of like Billy Duffy from The Cult does with his three amp blend. Or like one heavily distorted amp, one distorted but set to be very detailed, and one just barely breaking up with lots of highs and cut.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Really enjoyed the Double Tracked method where each had its own DI and the Quad Tracked method with the reduced volume to keep the wide field, but retain definition.

The Quad w/DI for each sounded really good when you did the arpeggio because that thickness added a great boost to the high strings, but the Double sounded better for the other parts to me.

I'd love to see you explore more on the single DI in to multiple amps side of things. I always enjoyed plugging in to two or three amp at once and then blending them, but getting everything phase aligned and balanced right could be a damn nightmare. It was great once you got the situated though because being a singular performance, it had a different quality to it.

I'd also really like to hear the results of blending amps set quite differently to broaden the tone. Kind of like Billy Duffy from The Cult does with his three amp blend. Or like one heavily distorted amp, one distorted but set to be very detailed, and one just barely breaking up with lots of highs and cut.

Some great points and suggestions there, thanks!