"Blower/Solo" Switch Mod on Active Pickups?

• Thread starter StarbardGuitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StarbardGuitar

SS.org Decaf
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is there any reason that it won't work properly and/or sound good if I wired active pickups which have solo/blower switches? Meaning they would cut out any electronics between the pickup and jack for a higher output. I'm thinking since I have two push/pull pots to have one pot act as a solo switch for the bridge pickup and one for the neck. Does anyone have experience with this, or any input?

I'm working on rewiring a Schecter Diamond C-1 FR for a friend of mine. It has Duncan Designed HB105's in it, and the person who owned it before messed with the wiring a lot and it was a real mess in there. We decided to just start over. It had push/pull pots in there already, so I ordered some more. I didn't check before ordering the pots, however, to see if they were 2 or 4 conductor. So I went to wire it today and realized I can't do coil taps like we had planned on. Before exchanging the new push/pull pots I bought to replace the old ones for normal 25k pots, we are just running our options as what we may be able to do with the push/pulls first. I have never owned a guitar with active pickups, so I am not sure if certain mods will work the same or well with actives as they do passives.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StarbardGuitar

SS.org Decaf
Reaction score
Haven't been able to find an answer anywhere, so I just went ahead and tried it. No luck, my wiring makes sense and connections are good but when the pots are pulled up it just kills the sound instead of boosting it.