BluGuitar Amp 1 Iridium "metal edition" is coming

• Thread starter laxu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxu

Reaction score
No sounds unfortunately but an overview of what it will do:

Since this forum is more metal oriented I thought this might be of more interest than when I posted about the Amp 1 Mercury Edition. The Iridium looks to be largely the same deal but with some improvements like cab sim filters switchable off on the record out and a higher power poweramp to accommodate metal tones even better. Of course all the amp types have been tweaked to work better for metal.

I am still totally impressed by the Amp 1 Mercury Edition and I believe the Iridium will be one of the best sounding metal amps you can buy at less than 800 euros when it is released. People really need to throw their preconception of "it must be all tube" out the window and give these things a go.

Gmork

Reaction score
Saw the video the ither day and it certainly does sound interesting! As a pedalboard rig guy id love to try it out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crundles

Reaction score
Interesting... your posts about the Mercury Edition got it on my radar, and it seems lower-gain players are pretty happy with the Amp1 ME, so I'm relatively hype about the Iridium edition.

Hopefully we get soundclips soon.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I ended up watching a few videos about the previous model. The most interesting one was when they did A/B comparisons against a few Friedman amps. Mind you, these cost well north of $3,000, and it was incredibly difficult to tell the difference in a blind A/B comparison. The Dirty Shirley was particularly impressive, considering the 5881 tubes provide a unique sound.

What it also showed was that Mr. Blug knows his product front to back and understands precisely how to dial in many different, particular sounds.

Last edited:

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Interesting... your posts about the Mercury Edition got it on my radar, and it seems lower-gain players are pretty happy with the Amp1 ME, so I'm relatively hype about the Iridium edition.

Hopefully we get soundclips soon.
Same here. I’m also curious as to what amps are being modeled.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Edit:

Watched the video, sounds like he isn’t modeling anything specific. Just more eras of metal tone. Should be interesting!

sylcfh

Reaction score
This is probably the most interesting development in the last few years for me. Maybe the decade. Already loved the idea of it, but it just didn't have the metal tone I wanted. I played SS Randalls for 20 years and moved on to high gain lunchbox tube amps, and this fits perfectly in between.

laxu

Reaction score
Same here. I’m also curious as to what amps are being modeled.

They are not modelers really, just based on Thomas Blug's favorite amps in the same way most amps are "like X but with Y and Z tweaked". So while in the Mercury Edition you can find tones of various Marshalls, they are not meant to be an exact reproduction of some specific model. The little knobs on the side allow changing each channel's tone and for example the Classic channel goes from '70s JMP type Superlead sounds to what I would expect from a JCM800 and then it goes even further from there. Put the knobs somewhere in between and you get a mix of those kind of sounds.

I expect you can find a lot of great metal tones in the Iridium spanning modded Marshall territory hopefully to Mesa Recto style tones. In the video of the Mercury Edition posted above what Blug is doing to match all those different amps is just varying the tone knobs on the side and the EQ on the unit. The EQ is super powerful.

I'm really interested to hear what Blug manages to do for the Iridium edition Vintage channel. On the Mercury that's the only channel that does not have the tone knob on the side and that's because it's so damn good sounding that you don't want one! It's got this awesome sound that is cutting but not harsh while at the same time sounding full but clear.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Sounds real neat. I just listened with my cars stereo on the way home, I’ll have to give it a proper listen with some good headphones later.

I think the Mercury is popular on TGP, so that bodes well also.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
They are not modelers really, just based on Thomas Blug's favorite amps in the same way most amps are "like X but with Y and Z tweaked". So while in the Mercury Edition you can find tones of various Marshalls, they are not meant to be an exact reproduction of some specific model. The little knobs on the side allow changing each channel's tone and for example the Classic channel goes from '70s JMP type Superlead sounds to what I would expect from a JCM800 and then it goes even further from there. Put the knobs somewhere in between and you get a mix of those kind of sounds.

I expect you can find a lot of great metal tones in the Iridium spanning modded Marshall territory hopefully to Mesa Recto style tones. In the video of the Mercury Edition posted above what Blug is doing to match all those different amps is just varying the tone knobs on the side and the EQ on the unit. The EQ is super powerful.

I'm really interested to hear what Blug manages to do for the Iridium edition Vintage channel. On the Mercury that's the only channel that does not have the tone knob on the side and that's because it's so damn good sounding that you don't want one! It's got this awesome sound that is cutting but not harsh while at the same time sounding full but clear.
Yeah “modeling” was a misnomer. I should have said “mimicking.”

The vintage channel on Ola’s demo sounds like sort of like a single Recto? Like a mid-gain tone? Not sure exactly, but it sounds really nice for leads.

I couldn’t help but notice the close-up camera picking up some fan noise on the unit. How audible is it when using at home in a small room or in close proximity?

Last edited:

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Sounds real neat. I just listened with my cars stereo on the way home, I’ll have to give it a proper listen with some good headphones later.

I think the Mercury is popular on TGP, so that bodes well also.
Same here, but with a Bluetooth speaker while I was getting ready for work. Gonna listen on my studio monitors later.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I'm really interested. Sounds like it has a nice sag. It's 100W solid state. And I use solid state power amps for my digital rig. And my experience with 100w ss amps is that they run out of headroom real quick. How are these in band volumes against, say a 5150?

Status
Not open for further replies.