Bonkers HHH wiring scheme - assistance needed

Fulgrim

Reaction score
Hey team, long-time lurker but very seldom poster poking my head up.

It’s pickup swap time for my baritone partscaster strat and I’ve run into a dead end.

It’s currently wired in an HSS format with a three-way blade switch and a two-way on-on switch, which gives neck, middle, and middle+bridge on the three-way, and then bridge straight to jack bypassing the volume when the two-way is down (the ‘blower switch’ mod).

I know what I’m aiming for, but not sure if it’s actually possible with the switch I’ve got.
I have a P-90 in the neck, and I’ve got a Duncan P-rails and Alt 8 for the middle and bridge.
I want to combine them with the same switches to get P-90 solo in the neck position, then P-rails north coil (P-90 side) solo in the middle position, and P-rails south coil (rail side) plus the Alt 8 north coil on the bridge position.
Then throwing the two-way switch would get the full Alt 8, coils in series, straight to the jack.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Is this possible with a three-way blade switch? If so, can anyone help out with a diagram for how to do this? I’m happy enough with soldering and understand how the circuit works, but I’m not too good with coil-splits.

I have all the parts, just waiting on the pickguard to arrive and I can get stuck in.

Anyone have any ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarledge

Reaction score
I am not sure what you are trying to do will work with what you have.

Which 3 way switch do you have and is your toggle an spdt or dpdt toggle?

It would be easier to have default be p90 neck, rail in the middle split, humbucker split and rail together . Throwing the dpdt toggle would give you full humbucker and full rail together.

That should be the most easily doable. You could have just the bridge pickup full but getting the "blower" and isolating the bridge pick while also having a splitting function seems pretty difficult.

Let me know exactly what you have and I'll see if I can put a diagram together.

Fulgrim

Reaction score
The three-way is a standard Tele-style blade switch, the toggle is a DPDT on-on.
If you were able to work up a diagram that would be awesome.

The difficulty is trying to split the P-rails and the humbucker on the blade switch, I’m not sure if that’s actually possible but I certainly can’t figure out how to manage it.
I have it wired up as a HSS currently, if I can’t get the split on the bridge position then my preference would be to have the rails+full bridge humbucker and keep the blower switch as-is.

This is my live guitar and those are the four tones that I need access to from it - smooth neck leads, neutral rhythm singlecoil in the middle, and strat notch spank, with the ability to roll off the volume for cleans and edge-of-breakup stuff; then flip the blower to get full-bore bridge humbucker grind.

That’s the goal anyway.
Any help would be hugely appreciated, and if it’s not possible I’ll keep the bridge hb in series and figure something else out.

Last edited:

jarledge

Reaction score
so i drew this up, and I am pretty sure it will work as intended. I am going to take a break and come back to it to make sure it is right. Sorry it is a bit sloppy. wiring.diagram .jpg

Fulgrim

Reaction score
Mate, thanks for that. I’m waiting for a HHH scratchplate to arrive and then I’ll wire it up and see how it’s working.
I’ll let you know what happens.

Don’t worry about the hand-drawn nature of it, I can follow what’s going on.