Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

• Thread starter feraledge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
Speaking of stuff from GCI, I just recently came across this when browsing the site:

Appears to be a pcb for the Dunwich modded HM2: 3 band eq, clean blend, and soft & hard clipping options. GCI is just selling the pcb & it looks like Musikding has a full parts kit including everything but the pcb with options for a pre-drilled enclosure. Obviously putting one of these together is super tempting, but I'm feeling apprehensive about getting the parts kit from Musikding. Mostly just worried about how good the quality of the components are (things such as knockoff IC's, caps & resistors with loose tolerances, etc.). I could source my own parts obviously, but that's a lot of time spent browsing on Mouser or Small Bear, especially when the option to just get it all in 1 click is right there and so tempting. I have literally no experience with Musikding so I was wondering if anyone on here had any experiences with them. How's thier reputation on stuff like this? Looks like this isn't the only DIY pedal parts kit they sell.

broj15

Reaction score
Just finished up this DIY kit and I think I'm finally satisfied for dirt pedals for a while now. It's a Sawzall DIY from Dead Air Studios and I added a clean blend from Mask Audio Electronics. I'm still working on making my off board wiring more tidy, as well as working on my method of applying artwork to the enclosure (using the laser printer on glossy paper + acrylic gel medium method) but this is the most ambitious pedal build I've taken on and I'm overall I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

As far as the tone is concerned all I can say is that this pedal sounds brutal. It's a slightly modified distortion+/dod 250 style circuit (a couple film cap values changed and silicon diodes instead of germanium) and a 3 band parametric EQ with the center of the frequency sweeps at the stock HM2 EQ values. The sweep on the mids is surprisingly wide so it's capable of more than just HM2 style tones. The switch is to bypass the OD portion of the circuit and just use it as an EQ, so in theory you could put it in the effects loop of any overdriven amp or after any dirt pedal in your signal chain to add in some HM2 flavor, but I e not gotten a chance to experiment with that yet. So far I e been going into the clean channel of my peavey musician 400 (non master volume version) with the amp's EQ set totally flat and it rips. It has probably the tightest low end I've ever heard from an HM2 style pedal. It has the right balance of the nasal mid range grind you expect of an HM2, while the lows are tight and defined enough for chugs and more technical riffing, but still full and thick for sludge/doomy caveman riffs. If anyone is still looking for the right HM2 for them or just a cool OD I highly recommend putting this kit together, or if you're not into DIY stuff Will from Dead Air sells a pre built version with a fuzz circuit (based off the color sound 1 knob fuzz) as a separate clipping options instead of the OD bypass/EQ only option that you can get with the DIY version.

PXL-20221111-203521969.jpg

PXL-20221111-201744517.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kleinenenten

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just finished up this DIY kit and I think I'm finally satisfied for dirt pedals for a while now. It's a Sawzall DIY from Dead Air Studios and I added a clean blend from Mask Audio Electronics. I'm still working on making my off board wiring more tidy, as well as working on my method of applying artwork to the enclosure (using the laser printer on glossy paper + acrylic gel medium method) but this is the most ambitious pedal build I've taken on and I'm overall I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

As far as the tone is concerned all I can say is that this pedal sounds brutal. It's a slightly modified distortion+/dod 250 style circuit (a couple film cap values changed and silicon diodes instead of germanium) and a 3 band parametric EQ with the center of the frequency sweeps at the stock HM2 EQ values. The sweep on the mids is surprisingly wide so it's capable of more than just HM2 style tones. The switch is to bypass the OD portion of the circuit and just use it as an EQ, so in theory you could put it in the effects loop of any overdriven amp or after any dirt pedal in your signal chain to add in some HM2 flavor, but I e not gotten a chance to experiment with that yet. So far I e been going into the clean channel of my peavey musician 400 (non master volume version) with the amp's EQ set totally flat and it rips. It has probably the tightest low end I've ever heard from an HM2 style pedal. It has the right balance of the nasal mid range grind you expect of an HM2, while the lows are tight and defined enough for chugs and more technical riffing, but still full and thick for sludge/doomy caveman riffs. If anyone is still looking for the right HM2 for them or just a cool OD I highly recommend putting this kit together, or if you're not into DIY stuff Will from Dead Air sells a pre built version with a fuzz circuit (based off the color sound 1 knob fuzz) as a separate clipping options instead of the OD bypass/EQ only option that you can get with the DIY version.

PXL-20221111-203521969.jpg

PXL-20221111-201744517.jpg
Sounds pretty awesome. Any chance of clips in the future? I may be acquiring an Eyemaster in the near future, but we'll see. Nothing new on the HM-2 front here recently except that I confirmed with the builder that my Throat Locust can do 18v safely. It sounds absolutely beastly on bass now - even moreso than before.

DingwallDingus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dead thread but I’m a bassist with zero HM-2 xp and was looking for some opinions. I use a Darkglass Infinity but I find the drive I get is too pristine and polite for my tastes.

My thinking was to start with an Angry Swede v2 as to my understanding its less different from the original than other clones and will have a blend knob if I need it.

Also regarding pedal order, I’m assuming running a more colorful compressor into it would be fine? I generally like to run compression as the first thing in my bass pedal chain. Thanks for any responses

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
Dead thread but I’m a bassist with zero HM-2 xp and was looking for some opinions. I use a Darkglass Infinity but I find the drive I get is too pristine and polite for my tastes.

My thinking was to start with an Angry Swede v2 as to my understanding its less different from the original than other clones and will have a blend knob if I need it.

Also regarding pedal order, I’m assuming running a more colorful compressor into it would be fine? I generally like to run compression as the first thing in my bass pedal chain. Thanks for any responses
Just get a Wazacraft HM-2 :)

Trashgreen

Reaction score
My first music track using the BOSS HM-2w in custom mode. Lots of fun with this pedal.

I'm using my Edwards E-LPC White in C-standard going through my Randall Brown module in high gain for the first slow part and then the Synergy Fryette Pittbull module in high gain for the fast part and rest of the track. Leads are Morley AFX-1 distortion going through the first channel of the Pittbull module with a clean setting.

kleinenenten

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I'm primarily a bassist. My favorites are the Earthbound Audio Throat Locust (at 18v) and the Bear Amps Heavier Metal. The Throat Locust is a bit grittier, with more open lows, but the Heavier Metal just destroys the mix - even though it doesn't sound as good solo as the Throat Locust does. It's just more "focused", if that makes sense, without the extra high end grit. But it absolutely kills the mix, with lows like a tank.

On the more budget friendly side, the Arion Metal Master is a great bass HM-2 option as well. It's my favorite non-boutique option on bass.

olejason

Reaction score
The HM-2 in the Katana stuff isn't too bad, I wonder if it's the same

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Can I get a difinitive answer on what the classic Swedish HM2 sound is, settings wise? I've seen some say dime everything, and others say dime everything but set the drive to zero.

needs|LITHIUM

Frankenstein Rig Aficionado
Reaction score
Can I get a difinitive answer on what the classic Swedish HM2 sound is, settings wise? I've seen some say dime everything, and others say dime everything but set the drive to zero.
Depends on usage. If you're in front of the clean channel, or on the crunch/OD channel with the gain turned down, dime everything. That's the OG 90's swedish death metal sound. Some bands like In Flames or Dark Tranquility will blend it with another amp, or use it like a boost. On one of the Dark Tranquility albums, they used an HM-2 and an MT-2 in a double boost setup. If you use it as a boost in front of a mid to high gain amp, everything dimed, but turn the gain to 0 or 1. Boosting a marshall voiced mid gain amp (modded Plexi, JCM 800/900) with the amp's gain dimed usually sounds pretty much 90% like the HM-2 but a little cleaner and more articulate. I do this and blend with another amp (in my case either the same amp or an Orange) for a deathcore/slam type sound.
If you don't use as a boost, and dime everything, you don't want a completely clean sound. Use the clean, rhythm, or crunch channel with the gain at whatever setting gives you just past the edge of breakup or light distortion. Think jazz or blues leads, in all irony. Then apply the brutal. Best of luck, may you obliterate your enemies with the same malice that these pedals destroy your listeners ears.