Boss IR-2 Amp Sim and IR Loader

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

0rimus

Reaction score
Yeah, I really love the idea, but!
This year I bought a Boss ME-90 and the preamp section... Completely blows. Sounds horrid. Every single model. Tried running it various ways. All sucked.

On the other hand, last year I bought a Boss Dual Cube LX. Keep it in my car for work jams. Not gonna lie, even outta the little bitty 4" speakers one of the boss OG metal models absolutely crushes.

Like I could put that on an album no problem.

The 'Modded' model sounds super promising. K100's was the best IR choice.

sell2792

Reaction score
It seems like a really cool product. Unfortunately for me, I'm too dumb to buy and load IR's into my Helix so I wouldn't even know where to start with incorporating this or a ToneX.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It seems like a really cool product. Unfortunately for me, I'm too dumb to buy and load IR's into my Helix so I wouldn't even know where to start with incorporating this or a ToneX.
Really with the 3.50 Helix/HX update the new cab sims are so good you don’t even need to bother with IRs for the most part. So you are good to go already in that department.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
This came up in perfect timing. I was looking for an amp/cab simulator for my daughter. I was also looking at the cheaper Behringer TM300 because it may be enough to run pedals through for a beginner player.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I briefly thought about trying/getting one of these but I've never really liked Boss' amp sims/distortions. I ended up getting a Joyo Preamp House (which is a lot cheaper) and so far it sounds pretty decent for what it is.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
This came up in perfect timing. I was looking for an amp/cab simulator for my daughter. I was also looking at the cheaper Behringer TM300 because it may be enough to run pedals through for a beginner player.
This seems like a TM300 for people who would be ashamed to be seen using a Behringer. Like that guy who was looking for a boutique OD1 because he really liked the OD1 but wanted something that could do the same thing for more money.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This seems like a TM300 for people who would be ashamed to be seen using a Behringer. Like that guy who was looking for a boutique OD1 because he really liked the OD1 but wanted something that could do the same thing for more money.

I reckon if you want to put it on a gig board, there's an argument that the Behringer may not be robust enough to take a lot of abuse (no first hand experience, but if it is anything like their compact pedals....)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I just looked up the TM300, and it doesn’t say anything about there being an IR. It almost sounds like it’s a Sans Amp Classic sort of thing. It says that the output is to go to the amp. Does it have an IR loader built in?

Millul

Reaction score
I briefly thought about trying/getting one of these but I've never really liked Boss' amp sims/distortions. I ended up getting a Joyo Preamp House (which is a lot cheaper) and so far it sounds pretty decent for what it is.
I actually need to pull mine out again and give it a new spin...but it isn't great with headphones, from what I remember

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I just looked up the TM300, and it doesn’t say anything about there being an IR. It almost sounds like it’s a Sans Amp Classic sort of thing. It says that the output is to go to the amp. Does it have an IR loader built in?
It's just a copy of a sans amp gt2. Analog amp and cab modeler.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I still have an old GT2 and to be fair, you can get some decent tones out of it but you really gotta put some time in with a decent eq to get it there. On it's own, direct into a mixer/interface, it really shows it's age, for sure.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, the issue I have with my Sans Amp Classic is that it needs to be run into a mixer or something before going into headphones. And, there is only one cab sim hardwired.

That being said, you can’t beat the price of the TM300. I didn’t even know it existed!

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, the issue I have with my Sans Amp Classic is that it needs to be run into a mixer or something before going into headphones. And, there is only one cab sim hardwired.

That being said, you can’t beat the price of the TM300. I didn’t even know it existed!
It is pretty cool for what it is. I always wanted a GT2 but just never got one, so this is a cheap substitute. Not the best for direct, but can be a good general distortion pedal.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It is pretty cool for what it is. I always wanted a GT2 but just never got one, so this is a cheap substitute. Not the best for direct, but can be a good general distortion pedal.
Yeah, I got a Classic thrown in as part of a guitar deal I did, but it was broken (that's why he threw it in). I sent it off to be repaired for $70. It actually sounds killer through a mixer and monitors, but I need a headphone amps, or a super tiny mixer to get it for headphone use, and I don't wanna sink any more money into it, since I have other headphone-only practice solutions.

I was looking at the IR-X when it came out. Then this came out. Then I started looking at the Ampero Mini, and all of these other Chinese brand all-in-one solutions, and I honestly have analysis paralysis at this point. :lol:

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, I got a Classic thrown in as part of a guitar deal I did, but it was broken (that's why he threw it in). I sent it off to be repaired for $70. It actually sounds killer through a mixer and monitors, but I need a headphone amps, or a super tiny mixer to get it for headphone use, and I don't wanna sink any more money into it, since I have other headphone-only practice solutions.

I was looking at the IR-X when it came out. Then this came out. Then I started looking at the Ampero Mini, and all of these other Chinese brand all-in-one solutions, and I honestly have analysis paralysis at this point. :lol:
I have one of those NUX Mighty Plugs. It is just a little tiny thing you plug into your guitar, and then plug headphones into it. You control it with your phone. It is a pretty cool little thing for practicing while sitting on the couch or whatever. I need to use that thing more, lol....

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I have one of those NUX Mighty Plugs. It is just a little tiny thing you plug into your guitar, and then plug headphones into it. You control it with your phone. It is a pretty cool little thing for practicing while sitting on the couch or whatever. I need to use that thing more, lol....
Yep, my sister got me the Fender Mustang Micro last year for Christmas. I think it's overpriced for what it is, but it's pretty useful. I pretty much stay on one setting all the time, though.