Brand new Agile Interceptor 8, what should I do to it

DjentyBoi7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I need some help here. I just ordered a brand new Agile Interceptor 827 FR Oceanburst Quilt a few days ago and it's on its way. I know many do some things to their FR 8s but I am not familiar with them. I have no experience with FR 7 or 8s. Can anyone give me a list of things I should do to my FR 8 and more importantly, how you do them.

DjentyBoi7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry, my question was what sort of early setup maintenance should I do to it. I have set up an FR 6, but not an FR 7 or 8. How can I keep it in top shape?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
thankfully the 8 string floyd rose is made of all steel including the saddles etc and comes stock with a brass block so there isnt a ton you need to do for it to work right. however heres the most popular floyd upgrades.
- brass block ( 8 string floyd should come stock with brass block like the aftermarket ones)
- titanium screws for the nut , saddles , and lock clamps and anywhere the allen key tightens so it never strips
- tremolo stabilizer (look up steve vai explaining them if youre unaware, keeps tremolo level and return to position)
-silent springs because floyd rose springs by themselves without dampening ring out and cause feedback like ringing

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
^This. Its literally no different. There are other blocks you can put in them too if you can find them that fit. Most are made for OFR and not licensed stuff. But I've seen both Titanium and Tungsten trem blocks. If anything, I'd do Tungsten due to its higher mass and density. It will carry vibrations better.

DjentyBoi7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
thankfully the 8 string floyd rose is made of all steel including the saddles etc and comes stock with a brass block so there isnt a ton you need to do for it to work right. however heres the most popular floyd upgrades.
- brass block ( 8 string floyd should come stock with brass block like the aftermarket ones)
- titanium screws for the nut , saddles , and lock clamps and anywhere the allen key tightens so it never strips
- tremolo stabilizer (look up steve vai explaining them if youre unaware, keeps tremolo level and return to position)
-silent springs because floyd rose springs by themselves without dampening ring out and cause feedback like ringing

Thanks, this is helpful. The thing is, I was kind of hoping for some free mod suggestions. I know lubing the knife edges with chapstick is one of them, but are there any other free tricks to make it play better? I will keep your suggestions in mind if problems come about further down the road.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Thanks, this is helpful. The thing is, I was kind of hoping for some free mod suggestions. I know lubing the knife edges with chapstick is one of them, but are there any other free tricks to make it play better? I will keep your suggestions in mind if problems come about further down the road.
keep it lubricated with something waxy like chapstick is fine and put foam or like a sock around the springs to dampen the spring sound. just put cavity cover back on to cover up.

DjentyBoi7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You are lifesaver, thank you so much. I will definitely do those things.

DjentyBoi7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay, the guitar was delivered yesterday and it plays okay out of the box apart from how I broke the high e string twice trying to tune it whenever I would lock the nut. The main issue I am having just fooling around with it is that when I try to flutter the bridge, it vibrates the other strings, specifically the low string. I have yet for that string set to arrive so I can set it up. Until then, does anyone have a fix for the flutter problem?

Zhysick

Reaction score
The bridge moves all the strings at the same time so... I don't get what you mean. All floating bridges I have used are the same unless you are saying that the lowest strings move so much that the vibration is heard thru the pickups and thats a more or less common problem with 8 string floating bridges as the lowest strings are: 1 too low in tension and 2 long scale (normally you won't have a 8 string shorter than 27") so the longer the scale the more space the string to move.

If it is because the lowest strings are too loose then wait for the new set of strings to see if it improves but I think you might be having the welcome for the 8 string FR realm: mute the strings with some finger.

DjentyBoi7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, the vibration is coming through the pickups. I tuned the 8th string to E to get me by until those strings come and it is way too loose with the 27" scale length. Will an 11-85 work for what is basically Double drop C#? I like a lighter low string because it sounds more snappy and is better for slap guitar.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Tune the lowest string up to the tension you like - regardless of pitch. Once you have the tension you like, figure out what pitch you've tuned it to. Then use a string tension calculator to work backwards to give you the string gauge you need to get that pitch, and you'll know what size works best for you.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Even with the right tension in the strings you will likely have to mute the strings you don't want to sound when doing that kind of things. All of us when playing 8 strings have to adjust, more or less, our technique for the extra strings and that means also the use of the floating bridge...there are tons of people complaining about how bad the FR8 works...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, and the thicker the string the faster it will drop in pitch. It’s just something you have to manage.

Merrekof

Reaction score
"Brand new Agile Interceptor 8, what should I do to it"

Ship it to me? :D

DjentyBoi7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hehe, Nice joke :)
You can pick one up new for relatively inexpensive, but they're only available certain times of the year. I got mine for $500 from Rondo Music. I wish I could help people buy guitars, but I am a 14 year old, and I just dropped all my money on this one.

Also, does anyone know how I should adjust intonation on this guitar, or should it be good as it is? I haven't sensed any problems so far.

trem licking

Reaction score
Even with the right tension in the strings you will likely have to mute the strings you don't want to sound when doing that kind of things. All of us when playing 8 strings have to adjust, more or less, our technique for the extra strings and that means also the use of the floating bridge...there are tons of people complaining about how bad the FR8 works...

agreed, although i haven't seen anyone complaining about the FR 8 (I barely see anyone who has them haha). Mine works fantastically. only issue i can see is if you want to use MASSIVE strings for tuning down or whatever... haven't tried myself but i'd be hesitant to go anywhere north of .85 or .90. i use light gauge strings so i've experienced no issues

DjentyBoi7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay, I have set up the guitar and I have a video of it on my YT channel. The hardest part was the fact that I had apparently ordered a set of 11-90s and I had trouble fitting the 90 string in the bridge. All I had to do was clamp down the end of the string to make it slightly narrower and it fit. It is slightly loose for C# and has some fretboard buzz, but it works and I like how snappy it makes it sound. I didn't lube the knife edges because it would mean taking the whole bridge out. Also tuning the guitar up to my weird C# tuning only took about 5 minutes which I have not experienced from other FR bridges. Thanks for your help guys, if you want the video link I can post it here.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Okay, I have set up the guitar and I have a video of it on my YT channel. The hardest part was the fact that I had apparently ordered a set of 11-90s and I had trouble fitting the 90 string in the bridge. All I had to do was clamp down the end of the string to make it slightly narrower and it fit. It is slightly loose for C# and has some fretboard buzz, but it works and I like how snappy it makes it sound. I didn't lube the knife edges because it would mean taking the whole bridge out. Also tuning the guitar up to my weird C# tuning only took about 5 minutes which I have not experienced from other FR bridges. Thanks for your help guys, if you want the video link I can post it here.
Holy cow, you've got that low string tuned at a 9 string pitch! I have my 9 in C# (I keep everthing in standard). Anyway, it sounds like you've got it figured out, but you should definitely check the intonation if you're changing string gauges and tuning. If you're familiar with Floyds you already know how, but if not just watch any generic YT on how to do it. My guess is you'll need to jam that C# string way the heck back.