Brice bass + darkglass tone capsule

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Heya,

I am planning on replacing the Rondomusic brice electronics with a darkglass tone capsule, now I am seeing this:
https://www.rondomusic.com/photos/wire/HXB2.jpg

What worries me is that the mid knob seems to be on the electronics?
The darkglass capsule has 3 connectors (lows, mid, high mid) but on the brice bass I only see treble and bass + volume as connector options.

Anything I am missing here or would the preamp capsule swap be easy?

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know the first thing about wiring, but I too have a Brice bass and would love to know how this works! :D

Are you using the stock pickups?

Beheroth

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
I don't know the first thing about wiring, but I too have a Brice bass and would love to know how this works! :D

Are you using the stock pickups?

I am going to keep the stock pickups for now yes.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
i don't see why that's a problem, simply follow the wiring instructions included in the manual and you'll be fine
https://www.darkglass.com/app/uploads/2015/08/Manual-Tone-Capsule-V2.pdf

Do you think its a good idea to keep the brice pickups and just replace the tone capsule with the darkglass one? Or would the sound immensily benefit from emgs or other pickups?

Also is the tone capsule changing the tone more than just EQ? Like saturation or other signal changing FX?

Beheroth

Reaction score
Also is the tone capsule changing the tone more than just EQ? Like saturation or other signal changing FX?

cover2.jpg

i still have ptsd from this thread : http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/dingwall-pickups-for-sr405eqm.330785/

as stated in the manual : "An onboard bass preamp that carries the pristine and delicate transparency of the Microtubes B7K EQ, inspired by Periphery´s bassman: Adam “Nolly” Getgood." so no distortion, no "signal changing fx" it's litterally just a 3 band eq

as for the pickups i have no idea, i know some of their guitar pickup (cepheus or smthing like that) gets praised cause theyre lundgrens clones but i don't know anything their bass pickups.

If i were you i'd start by getting rid of the original preamp and wire the pickups passive with a series/parallel switch, it should give an idea of how the pickups sounds by themselves.
If you like how they sound keep em, if you don't replace em

Last edited:

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Im sorry for the ptsd flashbacks man.

There is an active passive switch on the brice itself, they seemingly improved the electronics.
I like the sound, will simply put the darkglass in there and new kalium strings and be set :)