BTBAM - Colors II - 8/20/21

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Since Colors I've loved every second album so I love The Great Misdirect, don't like Parallax, love Coma Ecliptic(on par with Colors for me), don't like Automata 1 but I love Automata 2.

Maybe its because I get so into one album that when the next one comes around I'm burned out on the band.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pazuzuya

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I took a long while to get into their stuff cause I was prejudiced against the radiohead and pop and non-metal influences.
Two years later I skip the breakdowns and screaming to get to the mid tempo cozy melodies and pianos and pretty solos.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
On the topic of STTM, does anyone know if the feature from the start has a project?
I totally loved his voice but tried to dig him up back in the day and couldn't find anything.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
From what I remember he worked for the band as a roadie or sound guy or something and they just sort of brought him on whenever they'd play that song. Could be wrong though

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I got handed a Victory Records sampler CD outside an Atreyu/From Autumn to Ashes concert when I was in middle school and it had Mordecai from The Silent Circus on it. Silent Circus will always be their best album to me. Alaska is alright, and when Colors came out I was crazy about it. And I loved the Great Misdirect; I'm really surprised to hear the hate for it in this thread because I feel it's pretty musically similar album to Colors. Unfortunately I haven't been interested in any BTBAM album that's come out since TGM.

I am NOT digging the new track. Hate the Torche style happy metal section, super hate that bass filter effect. Drum solo ruined by cowbell (and the other instruments). Not digging the vocals until that cool effect at the very end. Actually the whole song kinda sucks until like the last part of it, but at least that part is pretty good. I hope it will sound better in the context of the full album.

Last edited:

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Came here to post the video, but is has been done allready! super cool :)

Really hyped for this album :)

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got handed a Victory Records sampler CD outside an Atreyu/From Autumn to Ashes concert when I was in middle school and it had Mordecai from The Silent Circus on it. Silent Circus will always be their best album to me. Alaska is alright, and when Colors came out I was crazy about it. And I loved the Great Misdirect; I'm really surprised to hear the hate for it in this thread because I feel it's pretty musically similar album to Colors. Unfortunately I haven't been interested in any BTBAM album that's come out since TGM.

I am NOT digging the new track. Hate the Torche style happy metal section, super hate that bass filter effect. Drum solo ruined by cowbell (and the other instruments). Not digging the vocals until that cool effect at the very end. Actually the whole song kinda sucks until like the last part of it, but at least that part is pretty good. I hope it will sound better in the context of the full album.

That's kind of where I'm at. I don't love the song but I've been burned on judging an album by the single before and then the album turns out to be great lol and vice versa.

Like you said I'm hoping in context of the whole record that it feels part of something more cohesive. No doubt it will but while I don't ever expect a complete swing and miss from this band I don't think it's an automatic home run either and I hope it lives up to being called Colors II, I give them credit for taking that on lol.

Last edited:

Musiscience

Reaction score
Second single is out, and the Colors 1 influences are really apparent here. If the whole album is like that, it’s going to be great!

brector

Reaction score
Damn, Blake bringing the growls!

Last edited:

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Two songs released and I’m already getting Album of the Year vibes. Excellent song.

Avedas

Reaction score
This one feels like a TGM song with a bit less meandering. Good stuff.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I’m going to hold off until the album is out so I can listen to it start to finish.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not as into this latest track. Started out great, and the last minute isn't bad, but not "we just spent 9 minutes building up to this" good.

Still stoked for the album though.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I haven’t listened to BTBAM in over a decade so I decided to revisit all the albums. When I was 18, ‘The Silent Circus’ was really mind blowing to me at the time. I can still appreciate their music but half way through ‘Alaska’ I felt like they were getting technical to be technical or kind of random (Psyopus comes to mind). When it was released I thought the more technical the better. Now I have a harder time sitting and listening to it without my mind wandering.

I’m always willing to give a new release a try