Budget fanned fret 8

• Thread starter Skinslapper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skinslapper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a baritone parts-caster tuned down to F# standard, and a bunch of other 6 strings in various tunings, but I'm thinking it about time I dipped my toe in the waters of extended range insanity.

I'm considering getting one of the following and replacing the pickups with lace x-bars. I just need the body and neck to be solid.

I'm also not apposed to Agile, or Harley Benton.

Any opinions on these, or suggestions of others would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have one of the cheap Harley Bentons that I just got back from a luthier. It needed fret work, but now that that's done, it feels and plays great. One thing I'll say before the fret work was done, it was clear that the neck was actually in decent shape and felt good. I just had buzz on the low end. There were no sharp fret edges and the fit and finish was a lot better than what you'd expect from a 300 dollar guitar.

Interestingly enough, it came loaded with Lace Deathbars.

Edited to add - no opinions on the G you linked, but I'm a believer that a good setup/nut slot is required for almost anything to play great so long as the neck's straight.

velvetkevorkian

The beat starts here
Reaction score
I had the 7 string version of that g4m, it seemed fine to me, no major issues. Would probably need a fret dress to get very low action and had some minor finish issues but nothing you could see at a distance.

Honestly I think you could probably write that about most entry level guitars these days.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
ibanez rgms8 would be a good contender . plus they have the wheel trus rod adjuster and passive pickups that you could swap anything you want pickup wise onto the baseplate

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Legator N8FP 4th of July sale for $749.99 in several colors.

N8FP_CC.png

Agile Pendulum's are up to $800 now.

The world is getting too expensive. I'd probably buy something used on Reverb by making a saved search to my feed and waiting for a listing where someone's hurting for money and has a low asking price.