Build for a friend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Like a stunningly beautiful woman... looks gorgeous from all angles. Although tbh, I've never drooled over any lady's heel the way that I did looking at this one! He must be an absolutely awesome friend. Not only is he sincerely fortunate to receive this guitar, but I think that it also speaks volumes in regards to what a fantastic friend he must be to you. Congratulations on the completion.

I apologize if I missed it, but does he know about this? Has he seen any progress pics? And when are you/ how are you going to present this to him?

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
I apologize if I missed it, but does he know about this? Has he seen any progress pics? And when are you/ how are you going to present this to him?

So long story short, we had discussed doing a build like a year ago, but decided to do it back in April. He sent me a budget to cover all the materials and stuff, I put it all together and shipped it to him. I sent progress pics fairly often, every week/2 weeks or so. As of today it's still in transit, should get there next week.

Deegatron

Reaction score
Haha, only the ones I post... you should see the pile of rejected practice pieces I've done :lol:

make you wanna puke...

Someone should make a thread for build rejects... you know... guitars that looked like crap, just didn't play right, or didn't meet the cut for whatever reason... I just recycled some hardware off one of mine not long ago....

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
So after the initial string up, I played the guitar for a few days, made some more measurements, crunched some numbers and compared the original schematics and realized I could take a little more material off the back of the neck. So I partly disassembled the guitar and shaved down the neck a little more.
IMG_0268_zps9nd3kpls.jpg

^ the nice thing about a Tru-Oil finish is you can always dig right back into the wood for modifications, apply more oil and the finish will blend right back in as if nothing ever happened.

Also did a final level and crowning after noticing a few slight buzz spots. It's been several weeks between the time the frets were installed and the time it was first strung up anyway.
IMG_0264_zpsqk89azpc.jpg

While the strings were off I made a truss rod cover too. My buddy said just keep it simple, blending in to the rest of the headstock, so here it is. Held in place by a single screw and a couple pins underneath that keep it from sliding around.
IMG_0343_zpsonwh2ryh.jpg

IMG_0348_zpsj582zmq5.jpg

I got all that done, let it settle in another day or two then shipped it. After 9 days in transit, he has just received the guitar today and said it was awesome. We talked for a while over a face time video chat. Sounds great, punchy tone, no buzz anywhere, feels very well balanced and comfortable for him to hold. He was blown away that someone he knows built the thing in their garage... In a sense it's a huge weight off my shoulders, I enjoyed working on it, but glad it's done and now I can focus on the next thing. This build was a good step in the growth of this talent. I learned alot and pushed my limits much higher. I feel very blessed to have this ability, and quite confident to send out more instruments in the future.

I plan on starting up another build next month, right back from square one. Gonna start gathering up supplies in the beginning of January. It'll probably be very similar to this design with a few slight changes, so stay tuned, more to come.

Hywel

Reaction score
Congrats man, that was an awesome build and the final result looks killer. Can't wait for the next one! :D

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Oh and one other thing... I've been trying to come up with a name for this design, I was thinking Mardani ... my buddy's suggestion - pigeon destroyer :lol:

Electrotimber

Reaction score
Time for a pic-dump...

Designed the headstock. I love having all the strings pull in a straight line over the nut.
20160606_090244_zpsmzoetxtq.jpg

Milled the headstock face to match the angle for the fanned nut.
20160606_173329_zpsfbs4o6rb.jpg

Couple pieces of trim off the walnut to make a headstock cap
20160610_102346_zpskgndfcvo.jpg

20160610_105353_zps3q6ogcxz.jpg

20160610_123204_zpssqzxdmgb.jpg

20160610_151459_zps1qkaq73q.jpg

20160610_152750_zpswwausidl.jpg

20160611_122846_zpsuwkohleo.jpg

20160611_123133_zpstzpie1hw.jpg

20160611_123225_zpshujnjg6z.jpg

^ just love how the glue joints came out

I'm still building the schematic as I go... here it is mostly laid out on poster board...
20160611_195537_zpsmlhuvvfm.jpg

It's kinda starting to look like a guitar... from a distance... in dim lighting... if you squint just right :lol:
20160613_202608_zpsbionkst3.jpg

20160614_190554_zpsfdgx7dvr.jpg

Mounted the wings and I forgot to route a channel for the wires to pass from the neck pup cavity into the bridge pup cavity. I meant to cut it into the side of the neck core... crap. Oh well, I can still get it comfortably routed before the top goes on...

Next up, the part that makes me most nervous, bookmatching, flattening and gluing the top wood onto the body...

To Be Continued...

I wonder how you made this nut -peghead transition. Will be a mistery ever. :yesway:

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Simple, really. Just offset the neck-angle jig to be further forward on one side. But the execution really is beautiful.

Purelojik

Reaction score
god damn i saw the NGD before this and i have to say your methods are incredibly clean. Easily one of the cleanest builders i've seen here. This build thread was a treat

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
haha, thanks man, and believe me I think the same of your builds. As for mine I still highly consider myself an amateur, maybe with potential though :lol:.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Great build! How do you set the height of the pickups?

The pickup height is set by the 4 screws that hold each pickup in place, there are 2 screws going through each individual coil down into the floor of the pickup cavity below. There's also small rubber spacers under the pickups to keep them in place at the set height. Notice in this pic you see the screws in place in the bridge pup, and the screw holes under the neck pup:

Installing pups:
IMG_0151_zpsk1srkroy.jpg

Electrotimber

Reaction score
Simple, really. Just offset the neck-angle jig to be further forward on one side. But the execution really is beautiful.

this I know but he had glued the heastock cap after he has routed the compound scarf of the neck. And then he did agin with the cap already glued. And the cap then just run few mm of neck . Bah Still a mistery!

cheers

Simic

Reaction score
The pickup height is set by the 4 screws that hold each pickup in place, there are 2 screws going through each individual coil down into the floor of the pickup cavity below. There's also small rubber spacers under the pickups to keep them in place at the set height. Notice in this pic you see the screws in place in the bridge pup, and the screw holes under the neck pup:

Thanks for the reply!

Again, lovely built, amazing top as well :bowdown: