Building a recording studio from scratch

• Thread starter Andromalia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
With all the changes in my personal situation, the pandemic thing, I'm going to endup moving out of Paris to work in peasant territory in a smaller city to follow a new job.

Since I got comfortable earnings saved from my last job, I'm buying either a flat in said smaller city (Le Mans, that's where there's the 24 hours racing track) or I'll go the literal extra mile(s) and buy a house in the countryside somewhere 30 minutes of car commute from the office, if I can bash into my boss's skull that working from home is the way, heretic.

Which means, land and the possibility of building a shed to use as a home studio. It will still be used for recreational purposes and not in any professional way. So as a recreation I'm looking for sources on what materials to pick (Wooden wall coverings ? I see that everywhere), size arrangements etc. I won't build anything myself - I'll hire people for that - but just looking for what to do is fun in itself.
And as a side note for our imperial friends, sites and recommendations using metric are welcome. :p

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
One thing to note. Due to covid building materials are pretty scarce right now and it will takeyou longer to get construction materials. Lumber producers are not releasing a lot of products. And lots of people are wanting to do home projects since you cant go anywhere.

Please post up photos of your build. I love seeing that stuff!

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Make sure no dimension fits evenly into another - a cube would be the worst - but 2 x 4 x 6 is still not great for example. I think theoretically the best dimensions would be ones that are hard to find any factors at all - such as 2 x 4.3 x 3.7 or something like that
Makes things a little trickier but avoiding 90 degree angles entirely too is the 'ideal' .

Last edited:

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Make sure no dimension fits evenly into another - a cube would be the worst - but 2 x 4 x 6 is still not great for example. I think theoretically the best dimensions would be ones that are hard to find any factors at all - such as 2 x 4.3 x 3.7 or something like that
Makes things a little trickier but avoiding 90 degree angles entirely too is the 'ideal' .

Also satin finish on the walls for best toanz