Buyer Beware - Line 6 Relay G90

• Thread starter DevinShidaker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

frogunrua

Lord of the Afros
Reaction score
I won't buy another line 6 wireless system. My older xds+ receiver has always had problems picking up the transmitter and now just will not pick it up at all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

svenlk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I usually don't do stuff like this, but I feel like people need to know about what they are buying when they look into these units. Anyways, I have had a Line 6 Relay G90 wireless system for about two years, and when it works, this thing is AWESOME. The main problem though is that it almost NEVER works properly. I am a professional musician and I'm generally on the road 8-10 months out of the year, and with that volume of shows, I need something that will be consistently reliable. When I first got my G90, I had a huge issue with the receiver, where for no reason at all, it would go silent for 5-10 seconds at a time. The unit would display that I still had signal, so I don't know what the real issue was. Line 6 told me that I had a "hardware problem" and that I should send it in for Warranty Repair. I asked them if they had an idea of how long this would take, and I was told that it would be around 90 DAYS. There was no offer of a loaner unit or anything of the sort. So I just payed 600 dollars for a wireless unit that I couldn't use for the next three months of touring. So instead I exchanged it for another unit at guitar center, instead of opting for another system, because everything I have heard about "digital wireless" has had me drooling over the G90. So I get a new unit, the first couple of shows are GREAT. Then I run into a problem. My signal is gone, but this time, it's because the pack is reading "no cable", even though everything seems to be plugged in properly. The next day I did some troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that I had a bad cable, and other people have had the same issue with the line 6 wireless cables. I decided "okay, not a big deal, I'll just get a new one". Well, nobody carries the line 6 cable, and if you're lucky, guitar center will have a Shure cable that works with the unit, but as I have come to find out, these aren't much better than the line 6 cable, and they are about 30 bucks. I would usually go through about 2-3 of these cables on a tour. Yesterday I played one of the biggest shows of my life, Heavy MTL in Montreal. While setting up and running through our line check, my signal vanishes, but I am using a brand new cable. The transmitter itself had finally crapped out on me because of how flimsy the four pin connector is, so I was forced to use a cable, and because we just started a tour, I'll likely be using a cable for the next two months. I will never ever buy a line 6 product again.

I'm sorry for the very very long wall of text, but I feel like you should know how these units work under real touring use if you are considering picking one up.:noway:

nice review man, thanks for the heads up I was actually looking into one of these wireless systems

noob_pwn

Reaction score
I've run into a few problems with our G50 systems too, used to use a G90 but a floor based version works better for us as we fly a lot.
a few tips:

-always keep a spare pack for everybody
-always gaff the cable into the transmitter
-always use aftermarket cables, we get ours from guitar-cable.com and they're fantastic. The stock shure/line6 ones are rubbish.
-Change batteries every 2-3 shows and always use on high power mode. After 3 shows even if the meter isn't depleted change it anyway.
-only use good batteries - energizer and duracel seem to be the only two brands that work properly
-always lock the unit when you play
-get yourself a neoprene wireless pouch, most problems with packs are caused by sweat getting inside and corroding the contents
-remove the pack from the pouch immediately after playing and store somewhere where it is well protected and cant move, preferably have them in something like a rack tray or pelican case with foam cutouts and a few silica gel sachets to dry up any moisture
-clean the contacts on the cables once a week on the road.
-make sure you are using a regulated power supply, they seem to be super finnicky about this, even the G90

penguin_316

Reaction score
I had the same issue with you regarding the drops in signal...until, I found out via line6 forums that these wireless systems have 2 main sources of Kryptonite.

1. Cell Phones....is there an iPhone near you sending a text, get ready for a loss of signal. I can't give specifics but i can tell you this is true in general as a iphone user.

2. Seems like a no brainer, but it never occured to me. The wireless reciever needs to not be near metal surfaces. Attaching mine directly to my Axefx unit for example, gave me a completely non functional unit. One I moved the receiver though, I have never had any more drop outs. Hope this helps.

Hammer

Reaction score
I had the same issue with you regarding the drops in signal...until, I found out via line6 forums that these wireless systems have 2 main sources of Kryptonite.

1. Cell Phones....is there an iPhone near you sending a text, get ready for a loss of signal. I can't give specifics but i can tell you this is true in general as a iphone user.

2. Seems like a no brainer, but it never occured to me. The wireless reciever needs to not be near metal surfaces. Attaching mine directly to my Axefx unit for example, gave me a completely non functional unit. One I moved the receiver though, I have never had any more drop outs. Hope this helps.

What type of mobile network does interfere with the wireless unit? 4G, 3G or regular old boring 2G GSM? They are on different frequencies. For example if you run your phone in 3G mode you don't get that annoying sound in speakers when it connects to the network. Maybe a simple setting in the phone's menu could reduce signal loss and keep you available for calls and texts.

Steve-Om

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the very very long wall of text, but I feel like you should know how these units work under real touring use if you are considering picking one up.:noway:

WOW...I was just about to pull the trigger on a G50...

So, the G50 and G90 are sturdier...but the G30, being the cheaper of the three, is more reliable?

Also, which alternatives would you suggest? Im also looking to buy a wireless unit.

EDIT: lets talk about a price point similar to the G50

WarMachine

Reaction score
Same here dude, i've had mine for going on 4 years and not had 1 issue, that sucks that yours took a dump on ya. Have you tried out different transmitters?

Steve-Om

Reaction score
just bought a G30!

cant wait to test it live and let you know how it fares

exarchangel

Guitarist
Reaction score
ive got the G50, i agree completely, the cable they provide is GARBAGE. I bought a mogami cable with nuetrik connectors on it from a guy in UK on ebay, thing hasn't failed me, although it did cost me around 50 bucks, it was completely worth it.

WarMachine

Reaction score
This^ also, if you need another cheap replacement, check out shure's cables. I snagged one for 15 bucks on zzounds.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
I've used my G30 for a few years without a problem, and that's after spilling Dr. Pepper all over it and leaving a sticky residue.

I replaced the cable right off the bat though because it felt cheap.

Latest posts