Buying my first 7, need advice.

• Thread starter baptizedinblood
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
Hey guys, over the past few months or so I've been brainstorming on what seven string guitar to buy...I've somewhat settled on the new Ibanez RGD7321 with BKP Aftermaths replacing the stock pups. This is going to cost me around $1000, and before making that kind of a purchase, I was wondering if there's any other guitars someone could recommend I take a look at? I'm avoiding Shecters due to the neck being uncomfortable for me, and as far as Agiles, I'd be swapping to BKPs and I believe the Agile's pup cutout is rather large to accommodate for the EMGs (?).

My budget is roughly $1000. Not trying to go much higher than that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
Oh wow, that is one sexy guitar. :cool:

I'll check that out, thanks for the response. Now I'm really considering buying that Carvin...damn.

Mayhew

Reaction score
I think you'd be happier in the long run spending the extra money on a higher quality guitar as opposed to putting high quality pickups into a lower end guitar. You'll have a much better base to build on and a guitar you won't outgrow with the Carvin. You can always save up for the BKP's later.

I haven't heard any Carvin owners say a bad thing about them and they all seem to love them. The 7321 on the other hand some people like and others hate them.

Dirtdog

"Wicked Sensation"
Reaction score
I got my lefty carvin 747 about a year+ ago and it is awesome. I think its is on of the better guitar makers out their if you like medium size necks. The sustain is to die for on the neck through. Be warned however I recently change out my PUPs from stock to Dimarzios and wound up having to cut some of the access around the bobbins so that they would fit in the PUP cavity. Other than that kick ass. Shielded control cavity and if you went to actives more than enough room in their to stuff the battery and a ham sandwich. Carvin is good american built stuff.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Are stock pickups on 7-string Carvins any good? I know it depends on the style of music and everything so how would they be for an older thrash, death metal sound? BaptizedinBlood, sorry to hijack your thread, mang.

mr_ormus777

Grey Alien
Reaction score
Sydney, Australia, formerly Zeta Reticuli
Carvin Dc727.

Best $1000 I have ever spent. :agreed:

Carvin.com - Custom Shop :: DC727
Yep, certainly quality guitars the Carvin DC, I have a custom DC747 and it is off the hook, not only tone wise but it's beautiful in every other way as well.
Another is the Gary Kramer Turbulence R36 which I also have, under $1000 and incredible to play, but only available second hand now...:hbang: