C#0 and F#0 strings (video)

JamesRGoodall

Reaction score
Like the title, I made a video of my playing my bass on mainly the C# and F# strings. Nothing fancy, just basic scales so you can hear how the strings sound.

Signal Chain:
bass - SansAmp RBI - dbx 266A - Ashdown ABM 500 - dbx (FX loop) - GK GoldLine 410, mic'd with an AKG perception 420 plugged into a Mackie Onyx 1620i.

The strings are Circle K's, .232 and .174 respectively. Set the video to 480p for better quality audio, and if you have a way to go through good (studio) speakers or headphones, you're guaranteed to hear the low notes better.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
I'd like to see a video of you playing the rest of the bass. And not just scales. You have such a unique instrument, show us how crazy it can get!

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Hah, my whole room shakes when my subwoofer level is only at ~5%. :lol:

JamesRGoodall

Reaction score
I'd like to see a video of you playing the rest of the bass. And not just scales. You have such a unique instrument, show us how crazy it can get!
I'm workin on it! I'm in the middle of writing/learning two songs that actually use the whole thing. Then I'm also learning one of JEan Baudin's songs, "Vanishing." I've only had this thing about 5 months, but I'll have more interesting stuff up soon!

Hah, my whole room shakes when my subwoofer level is only at ~5%. :lol:
All I have are to Yamaha monitors with a 6.5" woofer and a 1" tweeter and my room still shakes! It's a wonderful feeling.

SD83

Reaction score
Damn. I never expected that one could so clearly hear the different notes even below F#. Sounds really cool. Any chance of seeing some pics/specs of that bass?

JamesRGoodall

Reaction score
Do you play this "thing" live?
Currently not in a band, but I was playing at a church last semester that let me play it. Guy even gave me some leads to play on it.

Damn. I never expected that one could so clearly hear the different notes even below F#. Sounds really cool. Any chance of seeing some pics/specs of that bass?
Here's a video where I ramble about the specs and play around on the higher end a bit more:

Or if you just want to read, here's a thread where I posted all the specs and a few semi-decent pics:
TalkBass Forums: The Bass Guitar and Double Bass Online Community[warning-thread-contains-erb-content-bass-pr0n]-952189/

KhzDonut

Sam Valentine
Reaction score
Best definition I've ever heard for the "Below F#" range. Definitely not something I'd have a use for, but I applaud the level of articulation and clarity you've achieved with it. This is the first time I've ever heard someone play that low that I wasn't instantly annoyed with the whole idea. Not my cup of tea, but I can see it actually being useful for a project, whereas I usually just kind of go "what the hell could you even do with that?"

Kudos.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Look's cool, sound's good, now transpose some Dying Fetus on that thing:hbang::hbang:

JamesRGoodall

Reaction score
Best definition I've ever heard for the "Below F#" range. Definitely not something I'd have a use for, but I applaud the level of articulation and clarity you've achieved with it. This is the first time I've ever heard someone play that low that I wasn't instantly annoyed with the whole idea. Not my cup of tea, but I can see it actually being useful for a project, whereas I usually just kind of go "what the hell could you even do with that?"

Kudos.

Thanks man :) Yeah, it's definitely not a utilitarian instrument, but it's not entirely useless either!

Look's cool, sound's good, now transpose some Dying Fetus on that thing:hbang::hbang:

Oh god...I actually want to try this now...

JamesRGoodall

Reaction score
Dude that last bit with the piezo was really cool.

Thanks man. I've been working on those last two songs for a while, adding some of the lower strings into the arrangement, I'll probably get them recorded and put the videos up late July!

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
what is the tension on the neck with all the strings on it (in pounds)? The Luthier must have had quite a time making that thing :lol:

JamesRGoodall

Reaction score
I'll estimate an average of 32 lbs per string, so somewhere around 350 lbs, I believe. It has 3 graphite reinforcement rods, so i think that structurally it should be fine. The amount of tension exerted horizontally on a plank of wood like this would have to be pretty high to cause any issues though.

Chris puts out a lot of 8+ string basses, so I don't think mine was too much of a challenge. I happen to think mine looks better than all the others he's made, but I might be biased

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
I am amazed that I could hear the c# so well. Can you make a video with a distorted overlay over the original bass (like an good distortion pedal does) I would love to hear that low c# rumble.