C standard on a Hellraiser 7?

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
I have a Hellraiser 7 string with a 26.5" scale. I currently have a set of 9-46s on there with a 66. I'd like to keep my tuning range from C standard(which might sound crazy for this scale) to Bb standard. I use these string right now for B and Bb standard and they work great. I've never put it in C standard but i'm sure the 9-46 would be fine, the 66 is just overkill for C. I wanna decrease the gauge without having the tension too unbalanced. I was thinking something along the lines of a 62 maybe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
A .66 in C is somewhere around the 25lbs range, pretty similar to what your .46 should feel like when it goes from E -> F#. Very high tension indeed, but I recommend just getting a set of strings that centers around what you use the most.

If you want a set of strings to keep your guitar between B and C Standard, I'd recommend 9-46's and a .60 or like you said a .62. If you're going lower, I'd say just up to 10-46 + .66 that you're using now. It'd probably be a bit better to get a 7 string with a 25.5" Scale for C Standard, and use your Hellraiser for B/Bb.

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
Yeah man I totally feel yah with the 25.5" scale. Wasn't planning on putting this guitar up to C I just really like the sound out of this guitar and id like a higher tuning range. I have an 8 string with a 25.5 inch scale but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the hellraiser. If I had the money id buy a few more guitars money just doesn't grow on trees yah know? Thanks for the tips though, ill have to try the 62