Cab questions and help needed.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
So planning the purchase of my Orange Dark Terror I realize I need a cab...and know next to nothing in this area. I do know to make sure I match up resistance and to make sure it can handle the wattage. So on to the questions:

While looking around I seen some of them labeled extension cabs, what exactly does this mean and the limits involved? Like are they meant to add an extra speaker to a combo only or is it just a buzz word and they would work fine as the primary cab?

Trying to save a little bit of cash here, so I'll definitely be checking for a good pawn shop deal before I buy. I don't need a 2x or 4x anything, it's just overkill for me and where I live, and is not easily enough portable. Any major drawbacks of going with a 10" instead of 12", considering a future upgrade might be a speaker change instead of a complete cab replacement?

I'm considering the Vox V110 NT because of price, the more I save on the cab the less I feel bad about spending as much money on pedals to go with the amp (boost, eq, possibly delay and a noise suppressor if needed). Anyways, any comments on this as a choice? Yeah I'd love to get an Orange cab in black to go with the Dark Terror, but again the $$ is an issue so that can come next year. Everything else I've looked at is almost twice as heavy (not hard when it's under 12 lbs), I'm not planning on taking it out and about often at all, but having an amp+cab with combined weight under 27 lbs feels very inviting after lugging my 40 lb combo out a time or two. Weight is not a primary issue though, just a pleasantry.

Or do you have another suggestion? Budget max is probably $200, but again the more I spend here the less I'll have for pedals. Needs to be a 16 ohm cab rated for at least 15 watts, but 30+ would make me feel safer.

Thanks for any help and input.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
make sure it can handle the wattage.

Not quite. Speakers don't instantly blow when a larger load then they are rated for is run through them, in fact you can typically run very high wattage through relatively low wattage speakers with no problem.

While looking around I seen some of them labeled extension cabs, what exactly does this mean and the limits involved? Like are they meant to add an extra speaker to a combo only or is it just a buzz word and they would work fine as the primary cab?

Any cab without an amp (thus, not a combo amp) is an "extension cab", it's just wording.

Trying to save a little bit of cash here, so I'll definitely be checking for a good pawn shop deal before I buy. I don't need a 2x or 4x anything, it's just overkill for me and where I live, and is not easily enough portable. Any major drawbacks of going with a 10" instead of 12", considering a future upgrade might be a speaker change instead of a complete cab replacement?

Honestly, you're not going to see giant volume jumps between 1x12, 2x12, or 4x12 cabs. There will be a little, but as far as jamming at home the difference won't be huge. Though, since the size and array of speakers effects tone, it'd be best to find a cab, regardless of percieved volume, works for you tonally. For the record though, there are typically less 10" options as far as speakers go, so perhaps look for a 1x12, it'll be nice and compact.

As for recomendations, I highly suggest you look at Avatar. They're really cheap, very well made (all six cabs I've been able to play of thiers has trumped the quality of the several Oranges I've had in the same room), and give you a myriad of options to personalize the cab. Plus Dave is an awesome guy who is SUPER helpful.