Cabinet for Line 6 HD500

Workhorse

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking to get a speaker cabinet. I wanted to get something small for my apartment, like a 1x10 or something like that - I was looking at Orange, ENGL, amongst others. However, I was told that playing through one of those would diminish the sound because they don't blend well with the pod...

Any advice for a proper cabinet I could use? I tried both Orange and ENGL with different amp heads and liked them a lot, but I'm concerned they won't sound good through the pod... anything else I should give a shot that might be more compatible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
The only one area (in my opinion) where the pod is not great is the cab emulations, so using a real cab only makes things a lot better. I even tried micing up my cab to compare it to the cabs in the pod and there was a very noticeable difference.
I do it with my band and I can get a great tone with just the stock Fireball amp and a Tubescreamer, no other effects.

What amp are you using to amplify your pod?

Mike

Reaction score
I've used a mesa 1x12 and it's pretty good, I like 2x12 cabs better though for the smaller applications. They have a lot more body and the good bass response is still there, but without being overkill. I love mesa stuff so I can only recommend their 2x12 as well. Trust me I understand apartment life. A 2x12 is still controllable.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Yeah i agree get a guitar cab so you can turn off the cab modeling. Best speaker i've found for the Pod so far is a Vintage 30. Considering Line 6 uses it in the spider valve cabs and it's the most beloved guitar speaker for rock music since who knows when, it makes pretty good sense.

Workhorse

Reaction score
The only one area (in my opinion) where the pod is not great is the cab emulations, so using a real cab only makes things a lot better. I even tried micing up my cab to compare it to the cabs in the pod and there was a very noticeable difference.
I do it with my band and I can get a great tone with just the stock Fireball amp and a Tubescreamer, no other effects.

What amp are you using to amplify your pod?

I am using a set of computer speakers I have. It sounds fairly horrendous, which is why I want a new cabinet.

I'll definitely give that fireball amp + tubescreamer a check out. I am looking at several different cabinets, but the ENGL 1X10 gigmaster is definitely something I am checking out.

Unfortunately, I can't test any of these with the pod because its too heavy to carry around, do you think thats a good recommendation?

Workhorse

Reaction score
I've used a mesa 1x12 and it's pretty good, I like 2x12 cabs better though for the smaller applications. They have a lot more body and the good bass response is still there, but without being overkill. I love mesa stuff so I can only recommend their 2x12 as well. Trust me I understand apartment life. A 2x12 is still controllable.

I'll definitely look at whats available man. Thanks a lot, I never gave a mesa a try but i know a lot of people find them great!

So what do people use with their pod if they dont have a cabinet? Computer speakers?

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I use studio monitors, M-Audio BX8a's specifically and they're fantastic with my POD HD Pro.

Never tried it with a guitar cab tho.

Workhorse

Reaction score
Nice! So it really depends on how cool I find that guitar cabinet simulation then. I hope to record stuff eventually, so maybe studio monitors would be a good long term solution.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Either good monitors or great headphones WILL be a solid investment for decent recording.

The PODs cab sims DO NOT suck. There may be better things to use but the certainly dont suck. I have a fantastic tone with the XXL cab and 57 on axis, Screamer, Gate & Treadplate. Thats it. And I have it ALL in one unit. Simple.

Just take your time once you get some half decent monitors.

:2c:

Mike

Reaction score
Don't forget your power amp if you're going to use any cabinet.

Mike

Reaction score
Nope...if you're going to run it through a cab, you need a power amp. The Pods are only signal processors that have no kind of built-in power amplification. When people use them with monitors through their PC's, the monitors they are usually using are active meaning that they have a small amp built-in.

swedishfish

Reaction score
Get a Tech 21 Power Engine, it's a cab with a power amp built in. Pretty decent price too.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
I'm with cybersyn on this one. If you're just using the pod in your apartment and you're not playing gigs anytime soon, just get a nice pair of headphones. Win-Win for you and your neighbors :D
I have a pair of Shure's SRH840 and while probably not the best around, I like them and they've never let me down. I use them for recording on the computer and stuff like that.

Mike

Reaction score
Headphones or even monitors are great for being quiet, but for jamming and working out ideas, IMO nothing beats the feel of playing through a real amp/cab type setup. I tried the whole monitors/headphones bit for a little while and it only left me unsatisfied. I still have that setup for recording, but for just playing, I went back to using a cab.

Promit

Reaction score
I would tend to suggest a cab with Emi Legends or EVM12Ls, as you'll usually want a less colored style of speaker with the HD500. A V30 cab will work fine, but you'll always be stuck with a V30 sound. May not be pleasant with Fender, Dr. Z, etc style models.

Given that you don't have an amplifier, the Tech21 Power Engine is a really good idea. They use a Celestion Seventy80 speaker, which sounds awful driven by a normal amp but seems to do well in that setting. It's probably the cheapest of the flat-response style monitoring options.

Workhorse

Reaction score
Headphones or even monitors are great for being quiet, but for jamming and working out ideas, IMO nothing beats the feel of playing through a real amp/cab type setup. I tried the whole monitors/headphones bit for a little while and it only left me unsatisfied. I still have that setup for recording, but for just playing, I went back to using a cab.

Yea that was my intuition too. I don't know how often I'll be jamming with others, I think I'll be recording stuff most of the time.

What cab are you using btw?

Mike

Reaction score
Well right now I'm using a mesa recto 4x12 and it works suprisingly well since the head i use for my power amp is a blackstar ht-5. But thats only bc i just recently got out of the whole band gigging/jamming thing. Before that I had a mesa 2x12 which i still prefer more for the bedroom jamming. Since I'm not playing w people anymore I'm actually trying to get rid of the 4x12 and downsize, but selling cabs is always a pain lol.

Workhorse

Reaction score
So my best option, since I am not using an amp head - would be to get a set of nice studio monitors and thats it?

Mike

Reaction score
Correct. If you are not going to use any form of a poweramp, you can't use a stand alone cabinet. You'll just need to make sure you get powered/active studio monitors.

Latest posts