Cabinet Impulses for studio usage?

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
So I want every option available for clients and my main client demographic will be that of rock to metal and all that jazz in between. SO on that note what is the BEST Cabinet IR program? Free is always bueno and preferred.

I have heard of Recabinet but something is off putting about it
same with Two Tones Torpedo and with Redwirez.
God Cab was pretty tight but I just want something, ANYTHING better than Amplitube 3's cabs.
And I HATE how Lepou's shit sounds, so none of that mess, please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Im using Redwirez and currently Im pretty happy with it (I mostly use their ENGL cab)

shitload of options, easy to use, and excellent sound quality

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Are you asking for impulses or an impulse loader? I don't think LePou has any actual impulses.

+1

LePou have an impulse loader but the sound is just down to whatever you load - so must be something else making you think you hate them.

I use Redwirez personally due to how extensive the collection is. Insane amounts of cabs, mics, and positions - and you know the only variable you are hearing is the actual sound itself because they were all made in the same studio with the same chain. Comes with it's own brilliant Loader too but LeCab from Lepou is very nice.

redstone

Reaction score
Torpedo ftw, hard-pans sound wider and once you master the overload control you can add a lot of grain in the top end.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
Two different impulse loaders with the same impulse loaded WILL have the same exact sound, period. The difference is that some impulse loaders are very basic and easy on the CPU (kefir) while others have a lot more options and allow you to load multiple IRs at once (lecab)
So I don't exactly understand what you mean by "lepou is meh" because you are hearing the sound of the impulse, the impulse loader doesn't matter.

LeCab2 has a built-in impulse which is obviously not as good as the "pro" ones, and if you refer to that I can understand why it doesn't satisfy you.

The "pro" impulses are what you have already been told basically:
- Guitarhacks
- Redwirez
- Recabinet
- God's cab
and many more collections which usually aren't great on average but can certainly have something you like

Nemonic

Reaction score
If I were you, I would use the LeCab 2. It allows you to hard pan while delaying one side while reversing phase.
An hour ago, I bought Mesa V30 from those guys:
- IR Pack Purchase
It costed two bucks.
I am going to test it, but now I got two pieces of Simpsons coming.

juicyflange

Reaction score
does anyone have the lecab2 install files for mac? i cant download em off the blogspot cause drop box has suspended the files because of to much traffic?

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
If you hate the LePou stuff, you're doing something wrong.

Edit: I realize that came across a bit as a dickish fanboi. What I mean is that if you think the LePou versus any other impulse loader is the issue, you're quite literally doing something wrong. Maybe you had an impulse that you hated or something, but LeCab2 is great.

4Eyes

Reaction score
IR's and IR loader
Idunno LePou's stuff is just "meh" to me

lepou makes amp sims and IR loader, he doesn't have any IR library to offer. Lecab2 is one of the better free IR loaders on the market, it has option to load different IRs at same time and mix them together.

voxengo boogex is amp simulator as well, or better said power amp simulator. but EQ in it works in some weird way, I like lecab more.

regarding IR libraries - Gods Cab and Redwirez. I found that mesa recto cabs are great for me with recto-ish, 5150-ish sounds (amp sim or line out from the amp).

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Kalthallen cabs and Tone Vampire are great when used in tandem. The latter is mostly an additional tone shaper, but you can't get better than Kalthallen's impulses.

RE: LePou, if you can't get a good sound out of LePou amps, you aren't using it right :lol: Slap a TSE 808 VST in front and you're good.

Impulse loaders do tend to shape the tone differently to a very slight extent. I think Voxengo is generally regarded as the most "neutral" sounding loader, while SIR actually changes it quite a bit; LeCab is somewhere in-between, IIRC. There's a Sneap forum thread about it somewhere.

Reaction score
I think the most important thing is to focus on IR's than IR loader.
I've used the Redwirez mixIR 2, LePou's Lecab and Recabinet.

For the loader's review, the Redwirez mixIR 2 has did the job for me because it works well with Macs and Logic. But it really annoys me to not being able to browse or select the IR's (when in the same folder) like Lecab does so well. But, unfortunately, Lecab crashed and muted my sessions in a few times when recording on my Mac.

Even with Recabinet or mixIR 2 I guess you'll not able to work with all those great filters and mixing features that Lecab does.

For the impulses, I would totally go for Redwirez (Soldano, ENGL and Orange are f*ckin good). Sperimental Pack and some from Clark Kent are also good.

Cheers.

Latest posts