Cabinets for 7-string guitars?

• Thread starter Stench of Necropsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stench of Necropsy

Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to know what you guys think about cabinets with 2 x 15" speakers (as opposed to cabinets with 4 x 12" speakers.) I assume the bass frequencies sound clearer and the low pitch of the B-string is more articulate on the 2 x 15" cabinets.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
2x15s aren't better than 2x12s or 4x12s. They're just difference. For speakers to handle the lower registers that 7s produce, look for speakers with high wattage ratings, high efficiency ratings & a nice spike in the lower registers.

I swapped my Celestion V30s for Eminence Swamp Thangs & I haven't looked back since.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
the problem with 15" is that you lose the high end (unless you have a separate tweeter or are using the 15" cab along with a cab loaded with 10"s or 12"s).
the mids end up sounding a little telephonic if all you use are 15"s.

what shannon said is exactly right. just get a better set of 12"s because a good set of 12" woofers can definitely handle the low end nicely.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
2x15s aren't better than 2x12s or 4x12s. They're just difference. For speakers to handle the lower registers that 7s produce, look for speakers with high wattage ratings, high efficiency ratings & a nice spike in the lower registers.

I swapped my Celestion V30s for Eminence Swamp Thangs & I haven't looked back since.

:agreed: I swapped out mine for Eminence Black Powders. Big difference!:metal:

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
I use 2x15s and 4x12's the blending of cabinets sounds very good to my ears but sounds even better when you have a separate head running both so you can dial in perfect tones for each speaker type and cab.

Stench of Necropsy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Josh Lawson: Thanks for that Randall link! The info specifically says it's ideal for 7-string guitars. The mixture of 12" speakers with one 15" speaker is exactly what I was looking for. Plus, they're Celestion speakers so I don't think I could ask for anything better, thanks! (Well, maybe an ISP Vector cab hehe. Someone told me about them and the specs seem really good but maybe out of my pocket's reach.)

Shannon: Thanks for the advice! You know, I just realized I was not specific enough in my first post, sorry. I should have said "cabs with a mixture of 12s and one 15", not a cab with just 15s. I can definitely see your point there that a cab with just 15s wouldn't handle the mids and the highs too well. And yes, I'll definitely try and get a cab with high wattage ratings, high efficiency ratings and a nice spike in the lower registers. Thanks!

So, would those Randall 2 x 12" + 1 x 15" cabs be also good for 6-string guitars? I think there shouldn't be any problems but I'm not sure.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
there's no reason why they wouldnt be.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
To date this is the best cab I've HEARD for 7 string (note, I;m not a cab guy).
XCabinet_1.PNG

blackout

Reaction score
Shannon or MattMC, care to elaborate on the differences and advantages of the Emininece speakers? I'm looking to swap out a couple of my gt75s soon, most interested in the swamp thangs at the moment, but I haven't seen many hands on reviews/comparisons of them.

Back on subject, that randall cabinet looks like it would kick some serious ass, especially for lower tunings. Vader make 2x15 guitar cabinets which are supposed to sound huge, but work better as an addition to a 4x12 rather than a standalone cab, but i'm sure there are people who use it on its own. Its not necessarily going to sound bad, but probably less balanced than a 4x12

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Vader make 2x15 guitar cabinets which are supposed to sound huge, but work better as an addition to a 4x12 rather than a standalone cab, but i'm sure there are people who use it on its own. Its not necessarily going to sound bad, but probably less balanced than a 4x12

i was thinking about this, getting a vader 4x12 to start see if i like it, and i imagine i will, then see where i'd go from there, either snag me another Vader 4x12 or get a Vader 2x15 to see if that compliments it better for the low register, as my idea of bass guitar is more funk/jazz oriented and sounds like an instrument in and of itself in the mix, with alot of fast finger picking with slap, and use the guitar for the bassy-er end of things with the bass guitar complimenting the mix differently than it normally does, i've never heard a 4x12 and 2x15 played together so i dunno i may experiment, and if don't like what i hear hell i'll just get the 2nd 4x12 and sell the 2x15

i imagine theres plenty around southern ontario that would snap at a resell of a new Vader 2x15 in a second

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
I always liked the idea of a sub with my rig. The Rivera Los LoBottom. Its expensive, and I think discontinued now. I really like the idea of the Randall 2x12", 1x15" cab. I have a stereo effects loop, amp, and 2 channel BBE and EQ. I can run the Randall with my current cab, and EQ the it a tad different to accomodate more low end.

Josh Lawson

Banned
Reaction score
I always liked the idea of a sub with my rig. The Rivera Los LoBottom. Its expensive, and I think discontinued now. I really like the idea of the Randall 2x12", 1x15" cab. I have a stereo effects loop, amp, and 2 channel BBE and EQ. I can run the Randall with my current cab, and EQ the it a tad different to accomodate more low end.
I believe this cab is mono, but with simple wiring mods, this cab could be a full fledged, fire breathing moster. I would recommend replacing almost all wiring in cabs below the $600 mark, because they tend to use 20+gauge wire. I'd wire the 12"s up with 16 gauge, and the 15" with 14 or 12 gauge.

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
I believe this cab is mono, but with simple wiring mods, this cab could be a full fledged, fire breathing moster. I would recommend replacing almost all wiring in cabs below the $600 mark, because they tend to use 20+gauge wire. I'd wire the 12"s up with 16 gauge, and the 15" with 14 or 12 gauge.

I don't need the Randall to be stereo, it would be my second cab, so it would be either the right or left channel of my stereo field.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's hard to say what a cab or speaker sounds like just by its size.
As you might know, I use a 2x10" combo, and I've recently ordered custom Weber speakers for it. They sound really big, and handle the 7-string very well. I don't think anyone would guess that it's a 2x10" combo if they'd just hear it but can't see it.

There are just a lot of factors in speaker and cab design, I think the only way to find out is to try them.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
scali has some wise words. and they go along with what shannon said.

good speakers (high efficiency, well voiced) make a huge difference.

and lets not forget that you kind of have to match your cab to your head. i've heard some head/cab combinations that were atrocious no matter what the amp settings are (usually it's cheaper cabs that sound great with some amps but terrible with others).

nikki-k

Reaction score
Alot has to do with cabinet design, paired with appropriate speakers.

IMO, take something like an EVM-12L, stick in a 1x12 Thiele.. or grab a nicely tuned and ported 2x12. Something that resides just between "guitar 4x12" and a bass cab (could be 4x10.. 2x12.. 4x10 + 1x15). IMO, something like a Greenback will get too flabby too quickly, and that should be a pretty good lesson. Also, I like a ported design to allow those lows (potentially alot of air) breathe. Also depends on volume, EQ, etc as well. So many factors...

If you look at plans that have been created specifically for an application.. for THIS, and using THIS speaker.. you will see how the tuning aspect plays a huge part.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i've always wondered, does anyone here or anyone here that they know of, have a 4x12 cab that is loaded with 4 completely different speakers